Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
SD card slot issue

I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered problems with the SD Card Slot on the cybook?

On my cybook the SD Card has a habbit of easing out of the slot and I regular need to keep pushing it back in.

Not really a big deal, its just I spend a lot of time reading for short periods of time and it's a pain to turn on, wait for boot, go to select my book, find that the SD Card hasn't been recognised, turn the Cybook off, press the top of the SD card pushing it in a few mm, turn the Cybook back on again, wait for it to boot again, this time all my books are back, then turn it all off because i've run out of time.

I have noticed that while the spring in the SD card slot does work, and the card clicks in ok, that the card itself isn't held in. Even when the card is clicked in it will come out.
Is this normal?
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Why turn it off before pushing in the card? You usually do not need to do that. And I assume you need to push it in more that he standard position for it to lock?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why turn it off before pushing in the card? You usually do not need to do that. And I assume you need to push it in more that he standard position for it to lock?
Are you saying tht if I was to push in the SD Card after I turned on then the menu would update its contents.

To be honest i've been afraid to do this, when i first got my cybook I had a lot of trouble with my SD card becoming corrupted.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyad2000 View Post
Are you saying tht if I was to push in the SD Card after I turned on then the menu would update its contents.

To be honest i've been afraid to do this, when i first got my cybook I had a lot of trouble with my SD card becoming corrupted.
I just tested it and it seems to work but I am not sure it worked entirely correctly but the end result seems to be OK.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
you can insert or remove the sd card while the reader is on, I do it all the time. It will detect the insertion or removal and update the library accordingly.
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Absolutely. Totally safe to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
billyad2000
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for this information.

I tried taking the SD Card out and putting it back in and it works fine, without any obvious filesystem errors. I am very cautious when it comes to the SD Card with the Cybook, I've found the SD Card to be rather fragile. It's also a lot quicker than turning it off and on all the time.

I was just wondering if anybody else had the problem of the SD Card working loose. I thought that when the SD Card was clicked in that the card was locked in place until the spring was released. On mine it just seems to be held in by friction. Verified by the fact that the card can be removed quite easily even when the spring is clicked down.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I was just wondering if anybody else had the problem of the SD Card working loose. I thought that when the SD Card was clicked in that the card was locked in place until the spring was released. On mine it just seems to be held in by friction. Verified by the fact that the card can be removed quite easily even when the spring is clicked down.
Are you sure you are pressing it all the way in? It should hit the spring, give some resistence and click in. Once it clicks it will slide out a bit and stay put. To remove you have to push it in, and it should click, then when you let go it should pop out.

Perhaps you aren't pushing it in far enough in the first place?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #9
billyad2000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you sure you are pressing it all the way in? It should hit the spring, give some resistence and click in. Once it clicks it will slide out a bit and stay put. To remove you have to push it in, and it should click, then when you let go it should pop out.

Perhaps you aren't pushing it in far enough in the first place?

BOb
Thats is the way it works, and I am pushing it all the way in and it does click in.
I work as a driver and every now and then I get 10 minutes or so to read, it seems like the vibration of the vehicle causes the SD card to gradually ease out of its socket.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Thats is the way it works, and I am pushing it all the way in and it does click in.
I work as a driver and every now and then I get 10 minutes or so to read, it seems like the vibration of the vehicle causes the SD card to gradually ease out of its socket.
Well I am a Captain on a cargo ship, lots of vibration all the time! My Cybook is my most trusted companion (Very lonely at the top) and it has never happened to me!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only time the SD card has come out in my machine is when I've dropped it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote