Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #256
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
Hi, any idea how to get in with a root or framework password? I tried the passwords listed here: http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html but no luck.

Does this JB reset the passwords?

Thanks,
Ben
The jailbreak does not do anything to the passwords on the main partition. You can install the usbNetwork package, which will normally give you access using any password. The jailbreak will normally replace the /etc/shadow file on the diags partition so that you can access it using the credentials (username/password) "root/mario".

But just to state it again: this jailbreak is for the Paperwhite only. It is not related with any other previous jailbreaks, and what worked previously doesn't automatically work now.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #257
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The serial number must be uppercase for that tool. Use the fionaXXX (3 hex digits) or mario passwords.

Did you ever flash different firmware (i.e. Debrick it)? If so, you need to use the password in the firmware image (probably mario). The framework password has always been mario, but you cannot do much that is useful from framework (other than cat the shadow file to crack it with John and the fiona password list).
I used uppercase, with and without spaces. It supplied three passwords, none of which worked. I also noticed that USBnet will not start a telnet service, even though the documentation said it would. Lastly, I tried using the keys for authentication, but they all requested a password as well. If I left it blank, still no luck. I've done no modification to the Kindle other than the jailbreak and installing USBnet.

Thanks,
Ben

*EDIT*
Please ignore this. I pulled an idiot move and set my interface IP to that of the kindle, so I was basically reconnecting to myself. Doh!

Last edited by Fmstrat; 01-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #258
Fmstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The jailbreak does not do anything to the passwords on the main partition. You can install the usbNetwork package, which will normally give you access using any password. The jailbreak will normally replace the /etc/shadow file on the diags partition so that you can access it using the credentials (username/password) "root/mario".

But just to state it again: this jailbreak is for the Paperwhite only. It is not related with any other previous jailbreaks, and what worked previously doesn't automatically work now.
Thanks ixtab,

I'm new to Kindle JB (but not all to linux OS's). As in my previous post, I immediately installed USBnet (as that's what I saw most everyone doing in most threads as a means to get to a root shell), however no luck with the standard passwords. Is there another way to get to a shell via diag?

Thanks again,
Ben

*EDIT*
Please ignore this. I pulled an idiot move and set my interface IP to that of the kindle, so I was basically reconnecting to myself. Doh!

Last edited by Fmstrat; 01-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #259
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@Fmstrat: waah, sorry. Ignore whatever I said. You're talking about the K3, and I'm totally focussed on the PW right now, and was assuming you were too. I can't really help with the K3, sorry - but at least I'll shut up now

EDIT: Hmm... but to add to my defense - this is a Paperwhite Jailbreak thread, not a K3 jailbreak thread.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #260
mpaar
mpaar doesn't littermpaar doesn't litter

Device: none
ixtab,

Yikes! I really do not have any idea what kind of effort that took. I just know that I am not capable. I plan to try it out and I want to thank you for your work. Amazing!!!

mikeyp
mpaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #261
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi guys! I am finally getting my PW in a weeks' time. I am in Singapore so I had to buy it from an importer and he has offered to use his own Amazon account to disable ads for me.

My question is, if I jailbreak my device, will the ads come back? Or will it be permanently ads-free? Thanks!
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #262
Fmstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@Fmstrat: waah, sorry. Ignore whatever I said. You're talking about the K3, and I'm totally focussed on the PW right now, and was assuming you were too. I can't really help with the K3, sorry - but at least I'll shut up now

EDIT: Hmm... but to add to my defense - this is a Paperwhite Jailbreak thread, not a K3 jailbreak thread.
Thanks ixtab, I am using a PW, btw, just haven't updated my profile All is good now, though.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #263
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Hi guys! I am finally getting my PW in a weeks' time. I am in Singapore so I had to buy it from an importer and he has offered to use his own Amazon account to disable ads for me.

My question is, if I jailbreak my device, will the ads come back? Or will it be permanently ads-free? Thanks!
Once a Kindle is ad-free it will stay ad-free. It is not a software key that is applied, but rather Amazon has a database with the Kindle serial numbers and goes by that to determine if a Kindle is ad-supported or ad-free.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #264
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Once a Kindle is ad-free it will stay ad-free. It is not a software key that is applied, but rather Amazon has a database with the Kindle serial numbers and goes by that to determine if a Kindle is ad-supported or ad-free.
Thank you. Answered more questions for me than you can imagine. Repped
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #265
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Thank you. Answered more questions for me than you can imagine. Repped
You only asked one question. I seriously doubt that my imagination is supposed to be limited to 0 questions (that is less than 1).

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #266
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You only asked one question. I seriously doubt that my imagination is supposed to be limited to 0 questions (that is less than 1).

Didn't mean it in a disrespectful way!

That one answer answered all the questions I had about the ads-free status. That it's device-specific and not bound to any Amazon account. And it's tied to your serial number of the device itself.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #267
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
My question is, if I jailbreak my device, will the ads come back?
Or will it be permanently ads-free?
Thanks!
1) Jailbreak has no effect on ads.

2) To be ads-free, the Amazon database must be updated, two of the choices:

A) If living in a country without the ad-support program, contact Amazon through your Kindle account - they will disable ads at their end.

B) If living in a country which does have the ad-support program, contact Amazon through your Kindle account - pay the fee to have the ads disabled.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #268
Mediabrk
Mediabrk began at the beginning.

This worked great on my Paperwhite FW5.31. So easy to use. Keep up the good work.
Mediabrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #269
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
What's the word on Paperwhite with 5.3.2 firmware?

*Edit*: Sorry. I meant any unit with 5.3.2, including both Paperwhite or Touch.

Last edited by mallums; 01-09-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: previously inaccurate question
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #270
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallums View Post
What's the word on Paperwhite with 5.3.2 firmware?
Wait, there is a 5.3.2 for the PW?