Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
error when trying to mount via sshfs

I followed the exaact same code in the wiki for mounting.I even used exact same location of sftp-server but an error came sshfs not found or something like that.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
So you probably simply did not install sshfs on your host machine? You could help us to help you if you just C&P the error message in question - if installing sshfs won't fix it.

PS: sshfs isn't in the core set of programs on pristine installs of your typical Linux distribution. However, all distributions I've ever come across (minus special-purpose ones) had it in their package repositories.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is sshfs.is the windows program that was mentioned at the end of the post of the wiki which mentioned mounting.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sshfs is a FUSE-based (filesystem in userspace) application, presenting what it can access via an SSH link as a filesystem. It works on systems that have a FUSE layer, which Windows (to my rudimentary knowledge of that OS) does not.

You're really not presenting enough information to really answer your questions, though. I assume you're talking about this specific page in the Wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking - referring to the "Mounting via sshfs" section.

At its bottom it refers to WinSCP as an (exemplary!) means to access the Kindle via SSH. WinSCP is _not_ sshfs. Both are applications, they do different things. WinSCP presents a frontend to file management via an SSH link. Whether you can use it for what you want to use it for depends on what exactly you're trying to archieve.

There are applications with similar functionality as sshfs which are suited for operating systems that do not have a FUSE layer, notably Windows. An example would be the win-sshfs application.

I'm still unsure what you are currently trying to do, i.e. what problem you are trying to solve. If you are just reading through the Wiki and try to do what is described there as you go, just out of curiosity, be warned that bits and pieces there do not apply for every environment (e.g. host operating system) and some hints will need prior relevant knowledge or experience to be helpful.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

ok now let me make my request clear.i need to mount the kindle system.i used win-sshfs and put the host as 192.168.15.244 but it says that host name is invalid.what did i do wrong.ssh is working with putty.
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
ok now let me make my request clear.
It is considered polite to do that when you first ask for help, not only after multiple Q&A rounds where people try to figure out what your problem actually is. (BTW, it is also polite to use correct capitalization and punctuation in your questions... but that's old news, and it doesn't seem to have had any noticeable effect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
i need to mount the kindle system.i used win-sshfs and put the host as 192.168.15.244 but it says that host name is invalid.what did i do wrong.ssh is working with putty.
RTFM. You most probably got the syntax wrong. And make sure to read and understand http://whathaveyoutried.com/ . Sorry, but you're seriously taxing my (and probably others') patience by now.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It is considered polite to do that when you first ask for help, not only after multiple Q&A rounds where people try to figure out what your problem actually is. (BTW, it is also polite to use correct capitalization and punctuation in your questions... but that's old news, and it doesn't seem to have had any noticeable effect).

RTFM. You most probably got the syntax wrong. And make sure to read and understand http://whathaveyoutried.com/ . Sorry, but you're seriously taxing my (and probably others') patience by now.
Ditto.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-09-2012 at 03:22 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
If only we could give negative karma...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
hawhill
Wizard

Nah. Frustration can lead to impatience, but the OP should not yet consider the case closed. I would have preferred more information, too (and thus asked for it).

techiemonkey: I am not sure why you would need to mount it, there's information lacking about that. And you should really, really quote full error messages. That said, I would consider win-sshfs highly experimental for now. But don't assume it is sshfs. It just tries to do the same job on another OS. I would not consider it unlikely that no one here is using win-sshfs, so you will probably get no help specifically for win-sshfs. However, why not try to connect with another SFTP client - like the suggested WinSCP (but make sure to force it into pure-SFTP mode). You can make sure this way that SFTP is up and working on the Kindle.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
win-sshfs is a wrapper for dokan. I used it successfully a few years back, but it was a pain to get it set up and working right. Currently, I just use WinSCP. It is a lot easier with less problems.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@hawhill:

that is a very noble position... but...

I think that nobody here is unwilling to help newbies. And nobody here is expected to know everything. However:

- techiemonkey has repeatedly been informed that his posting style is considered rude and disrespectful. This didn't lead to any change in behavior.
- techiemonkey has repeatedly been informed in more or less direct ways that he should put at least some own effort into trying to solve problems, before asking questions.
- techiemonkey has repeatedly proven that he is not willing to adhere to standard netiquette, nor to even try any problem solving on his own, before conveniently throwing his problem into the forum and asking for someone else to solve it.

Given those many "repeatedly" instances, and no perceivable change in behavior, I honestly don't see why we should be spending any effort.

Just to make this clear again: no, this is not meant "against" newbies who don't know better. It's also not targetting people who (probably unknowingly) misbehaved once or twice. But it does refer to people who don't even bother to invest a minimum amount of effort to solve their own problems, but conveniently ask for others to solve them. And in this particular case, that comes bundled with a gross disrespect for those others, who are expected to solve the problem, as well.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-09-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: oops... big typo: "willing"-> "unwilling"
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
hawhill
Wizard

I guess I'm just equipped with a thick skin. And a programmer, so I got into the Robustness Principle even on a social basis: "Be conservative in what you do and be liberal in what you accept"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

That said, I really did not want to issue a call for help to the community. I can very well understand when impoliteness gets ignored, and I would certainly not expect that thick skin of mine from others. Again, the principle applies :-)