Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #46
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Build my house in the country. Provide live in nurse for my parents. Pay off my siblings' house notes. Provide a trust fund for my nephews and my mate's niece. Then travel...a lot. Oh yeah, first thing I would do is quit my job. PLEASE, can I get this money soon.....!
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
retire - maybe a little quiet place out in Napa/Sonoma area... jog and read...
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #48
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Doing the three things that money is best spent on: buying friends, health, and happiness!!!
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #49
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I still wouldn't be worying, I could afford to be a well balanced individual

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #50
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
(boggle)

I would keep the first month for myself. About half would go in taxes, with my blessing. The other half would pay off the mortgage, and our student loans, and the rest would get tucked into a combination of indexed stock funds, indexed bond funds, money market certificates and maybe some in a bog-standard savings account. Because our cars and stuff will break down one day and we will need new ones. (greedy look--maybe Priuses) Also we should have some money left over to fund the new library our county has been wanting since forever. Plus I will be able to fix the table on my Shopsmith, which is bent. And get a murphy bed for the guest room that I don't have to build. And go to Quetico on vacation.

OOOooo. Then I drop a million on the local free clinic, anonymously, so they can hire a doctor and a nurse for the year. Right now we have to turn people away because our doctors work there when they can afford to take a day off work and work for free. If we had a doctor working for us full time we could take patients every week day. That would be so cool.

Then I drop a second anonymous million on the free clinic to hire a dentist and a hygenist for the year. What I said above about having to turn people away goes double for the dentistry side.

Some people will point out that this is probably more than necessary. The excess can be used to buy prescriptions for those patients that can't afford their prescriptions, and the leftovers from that can go into the bank for next year.

Then I have about five friends I can think of who are in bad straits financially right now; I would arrange to drop a month's worth on each of them anonymously. So that would be eight months worth.

Then I would drop a million each on Planned Parenthood, Habitat for Humanity, and the Nature Conservancy.

I would use the last million to set up scholarships at the local state universities. Plus some left over for me to go back to college and take ANY CLASS I WANT. Kip too. Whatever he wants.

And for the entire year I would chortle myself to sleep each night, thinking about the sick children getting seen by the doctor and all the people whose teeth don't hurt, and how I can buy any book I want.

And for the next year, I like Steve Jordan's suggestions.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #51
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Pay off the debts, spread the first couple of months' money throughout the extended family and my friends to give everyone a boost and reduce envy. Buy a few homes here and abroad. Set up a foundation to fund charities & support PBS and land conservancy. Set up a fund so that my church's operational expenses are always met. Travel. Spend wildly. Do as much good with the money as I can.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
But rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other,
body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO what a ride!"

Last edited by Xanthe; 04-16-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Buy a big house where I could live with all my relatives and all their connected people, and hire a nurse for those who need one.

Buy a nice recording and video setup.

Buy a top-of the line iPad with monthly service agreement, at least until I've had a chance to check out the upcoming HP Slate and Google Android Tablet (but none of these would replace my Kindle!).

And finally, maybe get a little something to use occasionally to help prevent glaucoma!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Wait, I'm changing my answer........

I'd build one of these, make it as self sustaining as I could, invite a few friends and family over once in a while....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Project
Interesting!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #54
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
a lot
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

And finally, maybe get a little something to use occasionally to help prevent glaucoma!

and little bit for your friends?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Some would call it wasteful extravagance or conspicuous consumption, but I’d call it stimulating the economy and creating jobs, and I’d do in spades!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

and little bit for your friends?
In the interest of their health, of course!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #58
Elvira
Enthusiast
Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
hire a chauffeur... i HATE driving

and then a bunch of other stuff
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #59
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My oh my. I do not get it. Please explain. I see that kennyc is rolling out.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
My oh my. I do not get it. Please explain. I see that kennyc is rolling out.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/glaucoma-medications

4th paragraph.