Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
Can anybody test this for me?

hello Dear SR 700 users ,
I , your neighbor from DR iRex sub-forum , am eager to find out if the Sony series ( either 505 or 700 ) can show PDF files in my language . it's persian , and basically has similar fonts with arabic. could any of you kindly download the pdf and put it on your reader and take a pic of the very first page of it with a digital camera or something and upload here?
I need not say that I would be grateful , since we don't have any test devices and no Sony outlet around here has it , so we are left with the choice of buying iy blindly.
the PDF is an article about critical thinking and religion.
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf din_nikfar.pdf (196.7 KB, 289 views)
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hi KingDani, the PRS 700 is notoriously camera shy. The pictures probably won't tell you what you want to know.

I loaded it on my PRS 700, and it seems that the pdf text is too small to be legible (No, I of course don't read persian, but if it were in English I would find it too small).

I am attaching a screenshot from a PRS emulater using Calibre. This will give you some idea how it would look, if you imagine it on a 6 inch screen.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	din_nikfar.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	27427  
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Attaching a computer screen shot does not actually help. The OP wants a digital photo of how it looks on the 700.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks pretty much like the screen shot, Jon. Only smaller. And with plastic bezels surrounding it.

Perhaps your 505 would take a better picture.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 700 has more size options then the 505. So I cannot 100% accurately represent what would be seen on the 700.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

True, Jon. One can zoom on the text, and scroll back and forth. I've never found that an acceptable option for text.

But the OP did ask for a picture from a 505 or a 700. Perhaps you can help.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I tried your PDF in the PRS-700 emulator in Sony's Windows ebook Reader. I found that it did not "reflow", so only the full screen full page view was available. A PRS-700 owner can tell you if the actual device reflows this PDF. Otherwise, this isn't going to be readable on the PRS's 6" screen. The PRS-700 also has a zoom and pan option and a landscape view, which isn't in the Windows software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
KingDani
Zealot

you guys really out-smarted me , first of all , i never thought about the screen difference, so yes if it could actually reflow the page contents that would be great. as far as i'm concerned , DR1000 does not do that. second , what i mean was , i needed an actual photo of SR 700 showing this document , since the emulator essentially relies on OS fonts , in my case win xp , and it would be predictable that Persian fonts ( and possibly Arabic too ) would be shown perfectly. what i want to know is , whether SR 700 does show texts in other fonts , specifically Persian. bear in mind , i tried some documents in HTML format , in my DR1000 and if was pure gibberish. the only way was to convert them into PDF , in which it they were shown perfectly ( like the emulator pic above) .so once again , can anybody just give me a pic or confirmation that the file is shown as per emulator?
cheers
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
KingDani
Zealot

by the way OP refers to me right? it's nothing insulting or anything right? because if it is , i am not forgiving you , never
Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
by the way OP refers to me right? it's nothing insulting or anything right? because if it is , i am not forgiving you , never
Nothing impolite at all. It stands for Original Poster.

BTW. My PRS700 is in the shop until Monday having some dust spots removed, otherwise I would have tested this PDF and taken some photos for you. If no one has responded by Monday, I may return.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
KingDani
Zealot

i was kiddin for sure , i have seen nothing but compassion and support from folks of this forum.
ok then , if nobody elses answer my post , i'll wait for you
Old 04-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
mishuxp
mishuxp doesn't littermishuxp doesn't litter

Device: PRS 700
made some photos, BUT

my hand shook in the first photo the light wasnt so good .

Someone else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSM13323.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	27441   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSM13324.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	27442  
mishuxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
since the emulator essentially relies on OS fonts
Actually, it doesn't. It will render exactly as the device will.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Hi KingDani, the PRS 700 is notoriously camera shy. The pictures probably won't tell you what you want to know.
I put my PRS-505 on the flatbed scanner.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
KingDani
Zealot

smart idea Elsi

i was under the impression that the emulator might get the shortcut and use fonts on OS , i see that i was wrong.

thanks for your help guys , you are the best. now i can safely recommend this prodigy to other fellow Persian readers

MobileRead rules
cheers