Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #136
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Well, they couldn't be farer away. Perl was invented by a linguist guy, Python by a mathematician. The have a total different approach and style.

Anyway, that probably won't change that DMCA stuff.
Strange, I like Perl better than Python and I'm a mathematican at heart who loves ebooks!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #137
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They both start in "P" and I don't use either. I'm a C++ man, myself.
Without the "P" you are left with "LAM".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #138
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
As at this morning, putting the full URL into Google gives you the option of downloading the cached version, which still contains the pastebin links. It all works a treat for me

Now if I could only work out what I am doing wrong with pdftrim in Calibre...
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #139
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Strange, I like Perl better than Python and I'm a mathematican at heart who loves ebooks!
Well, you like what you're emotionally attached to and not necessary what's the best matching choice. Have you tried Python? Python wasn't an instant love for me but if you work with it a little bit you enjoy the options.

E.g. I like my C64 but in todays standard it's not that hightec machine ...

Last edited by joblack; 03-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #140
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
As at this morning, putting the full URL into Google gives you the option of downloading the cached version, which still contains the pastebin links. It all works a treat for me

Now if I could only work out what I am doing wrong with pdftrim in Calibre...
Bad person, HarryT will kick your ...
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #141
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Well, you like what you're emotionally attached to and not necessary what's the best matching choice. Have you tried Python?
Yes, I've worked a bit with Python when coding plugins for ashkulz's Impserve proxy-server program which allows ebookwise hardware readers to surf the internet and download content.

I also tweaked PDFRead, originally written by ashkluz in Python, but did that while learning the language. I tend to think linearly and not like OOP. I think its just me.

Quote:
Python wasn't an instant love for me but if you work with it a little bit you enjoy the options.

E.g. I like my C64 but in todays standard it's not that hightec machine ...
Funny thing, ashkulz too kept telling me that I would love using Python, but I didn't see it that way. I let him do all the hard coding; I just tweaked things!

Oh, BTW, the C64 was nice, but the real ass-kicking multi-tasking graphics system was the Amiga (and all within 512K RAM)!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #142
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

Funny thing, ashkulz too kept telling me that I would love using Python, but I didn't see it that way. I let him do all the hard coding; I just tweaked things!

Oh, BTW, the C64 was nice, but the real ass-kicking multi-tasking graphics system was the Amiga (and all within 512K RAM)!!!
I'm an old fashion guy on one side. I used MS-DOS despite Win95 was out and first I blame the new stuff as 'gay' or other things.

After some time I recognized that I'm just too comfortable to change my opinion.

If it is doing the job it's fine. I even like Perl sometimes because you can impress some non-perler with some fancy one liners .
Old 03-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #143
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Bad person, HarryT will kick your ...
I didn't realise being a noob at calibre would get my ... kicked
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #144
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I'm an old fashion guy on one side. I used MS-DOS despite Win95 was out and first I blame the new stuff as 'gay' or other things.
"Gay"??!!
What an extraordinary way of describing it. Some of our gay members may have something to say about that.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #145
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
"Gay"??!!
What an extraordinary way of describing it. Some of our gay members may have something to say about that.
It seems it can mean lame also.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/insid...beworriedabout

Quote:
But the OED also notes another change taking place in the US as early as 1978, when it becomes a description of something "Foolish, stupid, socially inappropriate or disapproved of; 'lame'."
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #146
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
"Knock it Off!" ad campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
"Gay"??!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It seems it can mean lame also.
There's a big ad campaign going on the US to try to get the "gay=lame" terminology out of common usage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

I'll admit, it makes me cringe to hear it, just like when someone says something is "retarded".
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #147
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I guess it has been a long time since gay = happy (like it did when I was growing up).
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 AM   #148
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
How does my library pay Overdrive for these books? Is it some sort of flat fee for the service or do they pay for each book I borrow?
Lending library ebooks seem to be treated the same way as physical books. The library buys N copies and these can be lent to N readers at a time. If an ebook is in demand, they might buy more copies. There may be an additional cost per check-out for an ebook, but if so I have not seen it referenced on OverDrive's web site.

A difference to physical books is that each ebook format (MOBI, PDF, ePub) must be bought separately. So a library could have 3 copies of an ebook but if only one is MOBI and it has been checked out a second MOBI reader will be shut out until the ebook is returned (after a fixed time with MOBI) even though there are 2 PDF copies available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I guess it has been a long time since gay = happy (like it did when I was growing up).
I still use the word to mean that. I refuse to let a perfectly good word be "hijacked" into having only one meaning.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #150
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I refuse to let a perfectly good word be "hijacked" into having only one meaning.
Me too!
When I'm not too busy using my ereader that is.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote