Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Best format for fastest page turns and battery life?

.lrf or .epub or ?

Also for storage, epub or .lit?
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
.lrf or .epub or ?

Also for storage, epub or .lit?
For storage, epub. No doubt about it.

For page turn speed I'd probably go with LRF, because epub has some problems with very large books (so I hear, haven't experienced it myself).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't know about storage (although with 200M on 505 it should not matter whether file is 1.5M or 2M and I don't think the difference between epub and lrf is much bigger than that), however speedwise - LRF. epub has problems with TOC that might take ages to load. Also when you change font size it takes a long time while in LRF it is almost instantaneous.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Also when you change font size it takes a long time while in LRF it is almost instantaneous.
This is only true it if is loaded with the Sony software. If you use calibre or straight drag-and-drop, it takes the reader a few minutes to index and change the fonts. I have been told it only does this once, but I seem to have had issues even after that, but I don't ever change the font, I use it on the smallest.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
This is only true it if is loaded with the Sony software. If you use calibre or straight drag-and-drop, it takes the reader a few minutes to index and change the fonts. I have been told it only does this once, but I seem to have had issues even after that, but I don't ever change the font, I use it on the smallest.
True. When you use Sony's eBook Library software it does the LRF paginating for you. If you use Calibre or drag&drop technique, then yes, the reader will have to do it and it might take a while, in fact this is what happens every time you change font size or go to TOC with epub. Again, it happens only once with LRF, after that the initial time, the reader remembers the info and when you change font size next time it does it at once. But I never use Calibre or drag&drop, so I never have this issue.

Last edited by astra; 11-13-2008 at 10:20 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert