Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #46
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Look under Column colouring in Look and Feel in Preferences. Click on Add new rule. Then you can set which column you want coloured, and under what conditions.

I have 'read' and 'started' in my #read column, so I use a different colour in the title field for each. To do this, you can set two rules, or use the advanced option.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I do the same. Additionally, I have assigned a color to it that applies to the entire row, making a "have read" book easy to identify.
Coloring rows is an expensive operation for calibre, so if you have a very large library you probably don't want to do that. What would be better is to keep your "Read" column up to date, and then create a saved search that looks for something like "read:no" (my syntax is almost certainly wrong). That way when you want to filter out stuff that's not been read, you just use that search and depending on your search settings it will either highlight the matched rows (as if you had colored them, but only on demand when you run the search) or filter out all the non-matches and just show you unread stuff.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #48
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Coloring rows is an expensive operation for calibre, so if you have a very large library you probably don't want to do that.
What would be considered a "very large library?" I have ~1,700 ebooks in mine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #49
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I leave it on the page that I ended on, but I always feel a little weird doing so, to be honest! I used to delete books as soon as I read them (unless they were part of a series), but now that I have an ebook reader with a larger memory I keep the books on for a while after they have been read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #50
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I leave the ebook at the page I last read and then put it in my "Completed" or "Gave Up On", depending on whether or not I've finished it or stopped before the end. I only actually complete about 35% of the books I start.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #51
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I used to keep all my books on my Kindle, I really didn't like deleting them. But then I had to reset my Kindle to factory settings, and I didn't feel like putting everything back on the device, so I've gotten more comfortable deleting books when I've finished reading them. I do think that the longer people have e-books, the greater will be the need to have better ways of organizing cloud storage.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I keep all my books on all my devices. On what page, that depends... Sometimes I go back to the first page, sometimes I'll stay in the last one, sometimes I'll go back to a part I want to check again and leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I used to keep all my books on my Kindle, I really didn't like deleting them. But then I had to reset my Kindle to factory settings, and I didn't feel like putting everything back on the device, so I've gotten more comfortable deleting books when I've finished reading them. I do think that the longer people have e-books, the greater will be the need to have better ways of organizing cloud storage.
I have all my books on external storage and those won't be reset. On my tablet I use the Calibre Companion so that'll be kept updated at all times (at least, as soon as I turn on Calibre and make the connection).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
What would be considered a "very large library?" I have ~1,700 ebooks in mine.
There are people with 10,000+ books, but I'd personally consider 1,700 to be "very large". That said, if you don't notice any performance issues (especially around first startup), then don't worry about it. It's only a problem if you notice it. If you don't, then it's not a problem.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #54
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Remove t from your ereader (or move it to already read books) and update Calibre
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #55
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Copy it to the "read" collection on Kindle, then when I update collections in calibre it shows up as read all by itself in a custom column. Thanks to the dev team, collections manager on the PW.
Other devices I don't have many books on, so basically the same operation but manual. I have to put a tick in the column. I usually only delete through calibre.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I have a kindle3.
When I finish a book, I exit the book and put it a collection called 'Read' and take it off from the collection it has been in. (All my books are in collections on kindle).
I don't go back to cover or first page.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #57
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I queue up my reading list on Goodreads. I have access to the internet while at work but I can't read, so I make the best use of my time. When I'm done a book I mark it as read on Goodreads and check the next book on the list. On my ereader I go directly to the menu and select the next book. Once or twice a month I connect to Calibre, make sure the next ten items are on the ereader, delete the read items and charge it.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #58
Rime
Rime is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
I recently looked at the number of books I was acquiring (the kind of largish number that means my tbr stack will keep me reading for the next 2 years or so even if I never buy another book). After some thought, I've decided that the best approach would be to acquire 2 ereaders : one with a card slot for keepers and one for the tbr stack.

However, to make this work, I'm going to have to decide on which ereader for the keepers ( probably Kobo Glo ) and spend some quality time with Calibre and Apprentice Alf's toys. But hey, after I finish with taxes I'll have the money and the time...
Rime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #59
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
An ereader has quite some advantages over books, but it doesn't result in a nice bookcase for your living room. Therefore I've started to just shelve my ebooks: ereader, case and all, like real ones. Works a treat.

Before that, I just deleted the book using Calibre, and add the tag Read.Year (like, Read.2012) to it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-30-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote