Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Smile Happy with 650 and question regarding "touch" screen sensitivity to dust

Hi all,

first of all "I AM VERY HAPPY". I got my 650 yesterday (Sony-Shop). It is really a beautiful and snappy / fast and ergonomically well thought-out device. I still have my (heavily modded) 505 but I think this will go straight to my mother/father.

But now one question for ppl with more experience concerning the new "touch" screen (IR-matrix-sensor-screen):

How sensitive is the bezel/IR-sensor to "normal" dust, hairs (have 2 cats), crumbs and the like? I am used to use my Reader like a paper book: In the bed, while having sunday breakfast etc., so chances are that "items" land on the Reader and eventually also under the bezel.
Can this disturb the touch-sensitivity? I the bezel easily cleanabke? Are the sensors sealed somehow?
Any experiences?

Regards
Ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
I keep my PRS 650 screen clean with a small microfiber cloth similar to the one provided with the reader. (That is just one reason I want to design my own cover with a pocket, I want a place to keep a cloth, notes or receipts, but that's another show.) As far as sensitivity...Yesterday I was outside reading during lunch. A fly happened to land on the screen and I watched as the pages turned forward then back, individual words were highlighted, the little error circle lit up a few times. I would say that the IR sensors are pretty sensitive and may loose some specificity if detrius is allowed to accumulate.

By the way, I lost my appetite and went inside and cleaned my screen with something other than my little microfiber cloth.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert