Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
Yeah, that seems to be "Calculators Online". If you don't mind silver, the price on the one I bought seems pretty much unbeatable.
I just ordered one of the new international Kindles - I'd better stop there ... for the time being...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #32
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I just ordered one of the new international Kindles - I'd better stop there ... for the time being...
Congratulations! It looks like you have a PRS-505 already, so a 600 probably isn't a vital item to own, no?
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #33
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
Congratulations! It looks like you have a PRS-505 already, so a 600 probably isn't a vital item to own, no?
I thought about getting one, but somehow it didn't have enough draw. I would still like an ereader with dictionary lookup, and I don't particularly care for a touch screen. I mean it's not a deal breaker, but it could be fun to have Kindle instead of yet another Sony reader And I think the ergonomics will work out well for me, too.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #34
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
I'm interested in expanding this question a little bit beyond just the Sony readers.

I'm in the UK, so if I do decide to buy a Sony I can get it from a choice of three bricks and mortar stores within 10 miles of my home. That's nice from a warranty point of view -- I could probably take a malfunctioning reader back to the shop and even if not I would be covered by the Sony European warranty so I would have to be saving a lot of money for it to be worthwhile ordering from the States.

But if I am thinking about other readers, it stops being so straightforward. Presumably if I bought from either Bookeen or MyBebook.com I would have to return the reader internationally (to France or the Netherlands respectively) if something went wrong. What is the warranty term on these readers?

Right now it could be cheaper to buy -- for example -- the pocket pro from Astak than the bebook mini. For anyone who has experience of having done it, is returning something to the States so much more inconvenient than returning it to another European country? Would the warranty be any better if I buy it in Europe? (I seem to remember seeing US devices with less than a year warranty in the past.)

And if I bought one of the Hanlin readers from Pixelar, I believe that's technically a UK seller -- do they handle warranty in the UK at all, or what would I have to do if the device broke?

Even with Bookeen this might be an issue -- I'm sure I've seen the Opus reader much cheaper on American websites than in Europe (although once I’d paid shipping it might not be worthwhile.)

Generally I'm the kind of person who prefers to have nice in country support/warranty/ways of resolving anything that goes wrong. However some of the price differentials are pretty large and depending which device I go for there might not be a UK way to buy it anyway.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #35
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Storm27: Those are excellent questions. The issues are confusing, and I just decided to avoid them - life is complicated enough as it is. Hopefully someone else can help you, though.
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #36
llreader
Mesmerist

Amazon Fr is saying the 20th, now! It is like Christmas in October.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #37
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Are you sure you could get the PRS-600 in Europe from Amazon.com ? Normally they do not send electronics to Europe, except now from their Kindle. Plus doing a research just now I only found merchands selling through Amazon, but not Amazon itself. Could you provide a link? A friend of mine in Belgium is interested.
They do it because they sell it from another shop (if you get PRS-300, some of the kits are available for Europe, other ones, no).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
One question about Europe warrant for Sony readers. You can only repair here PRS-505, PRS-300 and PRS-600 must be shipped to another country (confirmed by Sony Customer Service).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #39
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
One question about Europe warrant for Sony readers. You can only repair here PRS-505, PRS-300 and PRS-600 must be shipped to another country (confirmed by Sony Customer Service).
Oh well, I guess I am going to find out about how the warranty works.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 AM   #40
llreader
Mesmerist

Edit: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread. :-(

Last edited by llreader; 10-16-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #41
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
ROTFLMAO! I have a usually quite dirty mouth

It's a fantastic price, and it's a reduction after not even a couple of months. And with the 505 still around.

Do people buy more 300 or 600?
Far from being representative. But in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55956 it's way more Sony 600 than 300. And I can understand that. 5" still seems less popular and Cybook Opus is tough competition to Sony 300.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international, international user, price, shipping, warranty