Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Comfort read recommendations?

I need some comfort reading. Doesn't have to be mystery, just has to generally be upbeat and comfortable, like a warm woolly blanket and a cup of hot cocoa.

I'm just off a Charlotte MacLeod re-read, have recently re-read all my Georgette Heyers, and before that Dick Francis. I've read the Elizabeth Peters Amelias too recently for a re-read, and I'm all caught up with the Liaden and Lois Bujold books. (as you can see, I'm a fairly eclectic reader.)

Any suggestions?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Sort of depends on what you consider comfort. For me the "Anne of ..." series works.

The Hitchhikers 'trilogy' also works for me though, so...

And since it is there
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Have you read the Hamish Macbeth series by MC Beaton? Macbeth is a village policeman in Scotland; these are cozy-type mysteries without graphic descriptions of violence.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I haven't a clue, but I am on Elizabeth Peters' 9th book in the Amelia Peabody series, and I must say I love these books. I've listened to them all in audiobook, with Barbara Rosenblatt as the narrator, and I refuse to listen to them too quickly, I want to savor the narratives.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Have you tried Tamora Pierce or Wen Spencer?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Have you read the Hamish Macbeth series by MC Beaton? Macbeth is a village policeman in Scotland; these are cozy-type mysteries without graphic descriptions of violence.
Her older books written under the name of Marion Chesney are great.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
The Alpine books by Mary Daheim are some of my favorite cozy books.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
The Alpine books by Mary Daheim are some of my favorite cozy books.
I like those too. I would recommend reading them in order as relationships grow and change over the series.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I like those too. I would recommend reading them in order as relationships grow and change over the series.
Absolutely, I should have mentioned that. This is very much a series where it pays to start at the beginning and go until you come to the end. But since she named them by alphabet (ie: Alpine Advocate all the way (so far) to Alpine Xanadu) there is a lot of reading to catch up if you like them.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
My wife and I are both currently reading Elizabeth Gaskell's "Cranford", about the characters in an English village c. 1840

Comfort but no mystery.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
No one has mentioned Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series? They give me the warm fuzzies.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Alan Bradley's "Flavia de Luce" cozy mysteries are well-written and a lot of fun.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
BexBits
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
No one has mentioned Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series? They give me the warm fuzzies.
Good one! He has several series and they are all warm and fuzzy.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Alan Bradley's "Flavia de Luce" cozy mysteries are well-written and a lot of fun.
Yes - I've read some of those, and was surprised how entertaining books told from the perspective of an 11-year-old girl could be.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Upbeat and comfortable?
How's about a RomCom Fantasy/Farce?
John Moore's HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS.
http://www.sfreviews.net/heroics.html

Light, frothy fun.

Not quite as frothy but also a lot of fun:
Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley's BRING ME THE HEAD OF PRINCE CHARMING.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...rince_Charming

(This one has sequels.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote