Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Harryet
Harryet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Adobe digital editions will not recognize my e-reader

I've got a new Sony PRS-650 and it's much better than the PRS-600, but I cannot get it to cooperate with Adobe Digital Editions, only with Sonys own Reader. That would not really be a problem, but I work at the Stockholm public library and staff cannot download programs - unless we pay a lot of money (and time) to get it to our platform.

Adobe Digital Editions cooperated with my PRS-600. Is it not possible with a PRS-650?
Harryet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I have a similar problem with my PRS 350. I think it is due to the fact that my unit is bought in Japan. I didn't know it, but it can not do epub DRM.
I would imagine that wouldn't be the case for you though (???)
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryet View Post
I've got a new Sony PRS-650 and it's much better than the PRS-600, but I cannot get it to cooperate with Adobe Digital Editions, only with Sonys own Reader. That would not really be a problem, but I work at the Stockholm public library and staff cannot download programs - unless we pay a lot of money (and time) to get it to our platform.

Adobe Digital Editions cooperated with my PRS-600. Is it not possible with a PRS-650?
Yes, it should work with ADE. Try this:

1) Connect the PRS-650, open Sony eReader desktop software.
2) Try dragging an epub book onto the PRS-650's icon in the Sony software.
3) Sony software asks you if you want to associate an Adobe ID to the PRS-650.
4) Follow the steps. When you are done, eject the PRS-650 in the Sony software.
5) Connect the PRS-650 to the computer that only has ADE installed and open ADE. Should work now?
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
ctcntera2
ctcntera2 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Hi all! I'm a newbie here and I have the exact same problem with my PRS-650!

I authenticated my computer with the Adobe Digital Editions, but it would not recognize my attached ereader at all (I could open files on it if I wanted to, but wouldn't do the automatic authentication that Adobe's website said would happen at all). I've also done jashsu's suggested steps on my own with the exception of step 3 (because Sony's software didn't ask if I wanted to associate an Adobe ID to my ereader) and ADE still will not acknowledge my PRS-650 (not unexpected with the failure of step 3).

The Sony software sees the ereader fine and once the computer is authenticated, it can open my DRM'ed book and also copy it onto my ereader, which will be able to read it is well. But there's a big catch: if my ereader is fully turned off or I open something else (in the case that just happened, it was a pdf from an SD card) and... BLAM! The file is blocked. The only thing that I've tried which seems to work is to delete the copy on the ereader and copy the file over again. Very irritating and I can imagine getting very annoyed when this happens where I can't just fire up my computer to recopy the file.

I have a bunch of non-drm'ed files and had used Calibre a few times with my ereader. Could this be a problem? Has anybody had this work and were there any tricks? Maybe I need to reformat the ereader for a clean slate and try again? I'd rather not do that if I don't have to...
ctcntera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
ctcntera2
ctcntera2 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Wait! I think that I just got it to work! I had to sign up for a Sony ebook store account and it authenticated my ereader. I can now open other files, turn on/off my ereader and not be blocked from the drm'ed book. I used the same email address as I used for adobe, but the ereader software already seemed to be aware of my computer's authentication information because the store site didn't ask for an Adobe ID.

So maybe if the first poster hasn't signed up for a sony store account (if one is available), maybe doing that will help?

But Adobe Digital Editions in my mac still does not see my ereader, but I came across this quote in a different thread: "By the way, ADE for Mac does not recognize the Sony ereaders. That's why ADE on your work laptop wouldn't see it. On the Mac, you have to use the Sony Reader Library software to transfer files. It's not like a Windows PC where you can use ADE to transfer files to your ereader."
(from thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106465)

So... if you're using a mac, you might be stuck until they fix this...
ctcntera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcntera2 View Post
But Adobe Digital Editions in my mac still does not see my ereader, but I came across this quote in a different thread: "By the way, ADE for Mac does not recognize the Sony ereaders. That's why ADE on your work laptop wouldn't see it. On the Mac, you have to use the Sony Reader Library software to transfer files. It's not like a Windows PC where you can use ADE to transfer files to your ereader."
(from thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106465)

So... if you're using a mac, you might be stuck until they fix this...
Yes, ADE Mac still hasn't fixed this issue.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
librarysherry
librarysherry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST2HRC
Adobe Digital Editions will not recognize my PRST2HRC - Sony Ereader, though the WiFi downloads fine
librarysherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
ADE doesn't recognize the T1 or T2 ereaders. This thread is almost 2 years old. I recommend you start a new one with your specific problem if you want help quicker.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
ADE doesn't recognize the T1 or T2 ereaders. This thread is almost 2 years old. I recommend you start a new one with your specific problem if you want help quicker.
I wondered why ADE would never "see" my T1. Answers that question. I thought it was odd considering ADE didn't have a problem with my KF.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
According to Sony's compatibility list it's supposed to be supported.
Perhaps something was fixed recently in ADE?

Also, this thread has some instructions that might help.

Last edited by Frescard; 09-07-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
According to Sony's compatibility list it's supposed to be supported.
Perhaps something was fixed recently in ADE?
It's listed, I see. I have no idea why it won't work. It's not overly important to me. It may be to LibrarySherry.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
But, it is supported. The compatability list is regarding Adobe ebook DRM. It says the books may be downloaded via the device (that's how the T1 works) OR by a USB connection with ADE desktop software (how older Sony models work on PCs but not Macs). The issue is that ADE does not recognize the T1 as a connected USB device to transfer books using the ADE software. No big deal to me. There are better options for library management like calibre. Or, download Adobe DRM books to your ADE library and then drag and drop them to your T1/T2 using Mac Finder / Windows Explorer. Or, use the Sony software. Or, simply take advantage of the wireless capability by purchasing books on the device or download from a storage website like your Dropbox account.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, sony prs-650