Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm left wondering how many of those who have phones with large screens work in offices. It is an episode of "The Office" in the making to see such a person attempt to pull out that ginormous phone out of their pants pocket during a meeting.

You need to get out into the modern world. You will NOT find a cordless phone anywhere near that size available these days.
I don't buy landlines. Still, I see a lot of those big ones in restaurants and in churches. They will likely stay in use until they break.

Last edited by Phogg; 08-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #32
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I'm left wondering how many of those who have phones with large screens work in offices. It is an episode of "The Office" in the making to see such a person attempt to pull out that ginormous phone out of their pants pocket during a meeting.
It happens to me all of the time. If I want to get a reaction, I'll pull it out before the meeting and lay it on the conference table for all to oogle.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
It happens to me all of the time. If I want to get a reaction, I'll pull it out before the meeting and lay it on the conference table for all to oogle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Monkey, no comments?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
You need to get out into the modern world. You will NOT find a cordless phone anywhere near that size available these days.
I'm thinking most modern cordless phones don't end up in such nicely decorative hands.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Monkey, no comments?
I don't want a time out from the mods.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #37
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I definitely would be interested at the price of $149, if they also throw in the phone function to go with any prepaid SIM card.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I definitely would be interested at the price of $149, if they also throw in the phone function to go with any prepaid SIM card.
You can always dream can you? Unless you are willing to count the cheapest Chinese phone with the worst screen on the planet, virtually no memory, and a 5-year-old processor then something like that will never see the light of day with phone function even below $300.-.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #39
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
So you're looking for a prepaid Galaxy Note.

Too bad the Galaxy Note is retailed at around $500.

Good luck getting that down to $149.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #40
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Standard phone size which has been in use for many decades.

Cordless phone size which has been in use since the 1980s.

I am afraid the general public does not share your fetish about phone sizes, Harry. Most folks think a wide variety is pretty cool.
The crucial difference between your examples and something like the Galaxy Note is the width of the device and that is the true limiting factor on how large a device is comfortable for people to use and unless somebody has particularly large hands then current devices like the gsiii or the note are about the limit as far as how big they can go before they would be too uncomfortable to hold as normal phone.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The crucial difference between your examples and something like the Galaxy Note is the width of the device and that is the true limiting factor on how large a device is comfortable for people to use and unless somebody has particularly large hands then current devices like the gsiii or the note are about the limit as far as how big they can go before they would be too uncomfortable to hold as normal phone.
I have very small hands for my height (shoe size 40 or US 7) and both my 5' Streak as well as a friend's Galaxy Note are perfectly manageable. Dialing with one hand, typing with both thumbs in portrait, everything else works best by holding the phone in my left hand and controlling it with the right hand. All is very natural and easy. These phones never feel to big once you have got the hang of it, and you will never want to go back to a smaller one.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #42
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Very true...
...for one-handed devices like phones.

But tablets aren't one-handed devices, so applying phone ergonomics to tablets is really a non-sequitor. That is why we have 7-10in tablets, after all. (Way bigger and wider than phones because nobody expects them to be held in one hand.)

Casting this debate in terms of how big a phone can be misses the point of the OP which is how *small* a tablet can be and still be useful to enough people to consitutue a viable market.

Archos and several chinese generic device vendors have been exploring the sub-7in space for a couple years now with poor results so far; mostly because their target has been the low-end PMP market rather than small-tablet market the OP is thinking of.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I don't think we're going to see any high end 4"~6" media players, because it appears that Apple and Samsung think these devices would cannibalize sales of their overpriced smartphones.

Just look at the specs of Samsung's latest PMP, the Galaxy Player 5.8, for proof that high end components are not in the game plan.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #44
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
That might prompt me to get a tablet for my younger child.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #45
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't think we're going to see any high end 4"~6" media players, because it appears that Apple and Samsung think these devices would cannibalize sales of their overpriced smartphones.

Just look at the specs of Samsung's latest PMP, the Galaxy Player 5.8, for proof that high end components are not in the game plan.
That's why it might be up to Amazon and Google to come out with a $149 5.5" tablet.

If they can make a 7" at $199, why can't they make a 5.3" or 5.5" for $149?

This graph is not relevant but it is mind-blowing. 2012 is now the RECORD and we still have 3 more weeks of melting left. Just something interesting that I just read and want to share.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...hy-it-matters/

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 08-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote