Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Reset Power Indicator on T1 without Rooting

I've got a bit of a battery problem on my T1, looks like the guage needs recalibrating as I only get about two days use before the battery level shows it as being empty and shuts down instead of going into standby mode.

Other than rooting it and deleting the batterystats.bin file, is there any other way to reset it?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I'm perfectly happy with the function of my T1 without rooting it and was hoping there might be another way of fixing it without having to take this drastic step as I'm only going to unroot it afterwards.

Current Firmware: 1.0.04.12210.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
batterystats.bin has nothing to do with battery indicators or usage. Removing it - is totally pointless.

Battery recalibration process for "smart" lithium-ion battery seems to be just another um legend...

https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Just make sure that your battery is fully charged via something which is not your computer USB port - that's all you could do.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't charge my T1 from the PC, I always use a mains charger.

The problem is that the T1 doesn't believe that the battery is full - hence the empty indicator - and shuts down when I want it to go into standby with the power switch. I have to wait for it to switch back on again instead of it coming out of standby. Also due to the indicator showing no charge, the Wifi wont work as it think I don't have enough power to run it.

I'm not trying to make the battery last longer, I just want my device to recognise the fact that it's fully charged and not flat.

Occording to the wiki on this site, deleting the batterystats.bin file fixes this. If it doesn't then what does?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

When you push power button (short push) it immediately goes into full power off?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru

no, it goes into standby as normal and I have my current books cover shown. But around 15 minutes later, the screen goes blank and the next time I press the power button to read it again the T1 runs through its start-up routine.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
batterystats.bin has nothing to do with battery indicators or usage. Removing it - is totally pointless.

Battery recalibration process for "smart" lithium-ion battery seems to be just another um legend...

https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT
Hmm, I find this strange..

I've played a bit (more like looked at) with embedded firmware for mp3 players (not android, so take it for what it's worth) and for each device that was supported we had a mapping of current voltage vs. expected battery life. Mapping that was done from data by volunteers running their player's battery empty time after time.

It was set at build, it wasn't something you'd calibrated yourself or reset but then again it was only supporting a dozen different devices at the time. Compared to the hundreds of cells, tablets, readers that run Android...

Not saying Miz Hackborn is full of it, obviously she is not, but surely there is a reason why the devs have routines polling the device for those stats. And for the OS to tell you it thinks you have about 3 hours left at your current usage, there must be a mapping of sort, somewhere. A reference table. That maybe could get corrupted.

It's not a question of calibrating the battery, it's the battery meter you'd be 'calibrating'.

I dunno, it just sort of makes no sense to me. or ??
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
rupor
meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
Hmm, I find this strange..
You may be right and what you are saying makes absolute sense to me - if you want to predict remaining time with some precision.

But I could offer another thought All laptops I had to deal with for the last 5 years at least had a batteries which were able to supply metrics to OS at any moment without any need to keep track, history or any mappings in software. I do not know - may be Android and supporting hardware did not graduate to this level yet and may be it did... One thing is certain - it is Linux and batterystats.bin is completely overwritten every time Android shuts down or reboots, so there is very little point in deleting it . Completely depleting battery and fully charging it may (or may not) make sense - depending on technology. Otherwise it looks like ghostyjack's reader needs to be exchanged.

Here is information about power supply available to Android Battery Service:

scale - int, the maximum value for the charge level
level - int, charge level, from 0 through scale inclusive
status - String, the current charging status
health - String, the current battery health
present - boolean, true if the battery is present
plugged - int, 0 if the device is not plugged in; 1 if plugged into an AC power adapter; 2 if plugged in via USB.
voltage - int, current battery voltage in millivolts
temperature - int, current battery temperature in tenths of a degree Centigrade
technology - String, the type of battery installed, e.g. "Li-ion"

None of it is in batterystats.bin by the look of it. All of that makes me think that information she provides is true - may not be the whole truth but truth nevertheless...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Oh, I *think* she's right ; I know nothing, really. I just *feel* there's more to it than just that.
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
The only logical way to reset the meter is to run the battery down as much as you possibly can before a fresh charge basicly just keep using it and ignoring the meter altogether, or wait for a firmware update which seems to be the source of these problems.

Very important to have the T1 at a full charge and ideally also plugged in while doing a firmware update which seems to change the batterystats.bin to a 100% charged one (it really shouldn't do this and that is what is messing peoples accuracy up).
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

Device: PRS-T1
Don't worry, just keep recycling it over and over, and it will eventually fix itself. I know this for a fact, because the same thing happened to mine. Someone over at the developers forum told me to just keep charging it every time it died, and sure enough, after perhaps a dozen charges, it just sorted itself out, and was ship-shape again! I now go a few weeks between charges.

Glen
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
ghostyjack
Guru

Glad to know it sorts itself out. I didn't want to root it just to try and fix it and then unroot it.

I'll persevere with it and see if I get the same result.