Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ludlow, Fitz Hugh: The Phial Of Dread And Other Stories. v1. 29 Dec 08

The title story originally appeared in 1859 and deals with a kind of mental madness. This collection includes two other stories:

The Taxidermist
The Music - Essence

Here are two quotes from The Phial Of Dread:

"But what is the terror? Yes, I must tell it. I must faithfully disclose everything, or this journal will have been merely a fruitless trouble, and I shall go mad after all. I am coming to the revelation."

And later:

"But at any rate I sicken, I faint, so that the phial nearly falls from my hands. It is not poison—perhaps any one but I might drink it all and be unharmed; but that fluid, even through its stout glass walls, murders me like a slow lightning! O my God! would that I could bury it, burn it, dash it from me where it would never return! But it is an indestructible phial of vengeance—a fluid doom of hell—never, never, never to be exiled from me any more!

"It is this for which I have made the hiding-place in the closet. I summon all my strength and will—I carry it, hardly opening my eyes to look where I go, to that little pit which I have made—I lay it therein—I cram down the layers of wrapping paper over it—I replace the tight-fitting wood cover, and, finally, I slide the drawer back over all to its former place. Then the horror lifts again from my shoulders a little space, and I lie down on my bed, convulsed in every nerve of my whole body."

Please note: The copies available on the internet [that I could locate] were not the cleanest scanned copies. There are certain inconsistencies, such as words that appear to be italicized, but serve no purpose for being so. A number of other words were problematic, such as hyphenated words [or lack thereof]. However, I've done my best to make this collection both readable and enjoyable.

Like all the books I assemble on MobileRead, this too was assembled to reflect human intervention and artistic judgment.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote