Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #46
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
It's a toss up. At the end some people are going to go out hugging and others are going to go out shooting.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #47
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
It's a toss up. At the end some people are going to go out hugging and others are going to go out shooting.
I guess so... A real shame...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #48
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Sometimes I think there are as many evil people in this world as there are good people.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #49
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Sometimes I think there are as many evil people in this world as there are good people.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 07-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #50
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
If there is no hope of survival, there is no point in discussing morals.
Think worldwide riot.
Humans revert very quickly to their baser instincts when cornered.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #51
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Neat post, Omk. And thanks for the thumbs-up on *The End of Science Fiction*. Everyone who asked for the book should now have it. The offer remains open as long as this thread is active.
Neil,

Great offer, and I wanted to thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have a stack of TBR books, but have added this one to sample and buy when I get a little bit further through my backlog. I just wanted to thank you for the offer, I find this subject fascinating, and a good read on the subject would be nice. However, I'll be glad to pay for the book if it is as good as it sounds, and with your 50% preview on Smashwords, I can read a bit and be sure.

Now to finish this thread and maybe weigh in again.

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #52
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Quote:
I would like to think that given 5 days, I would gather my friends and family around me, and keep us safe, and enjoy the company of those I like.

Quoted happy_terd, because I think it would end up being a little of both. I would gather those around me that I like, and I would assume that I would need to defend the group.

Now morality, I think that you have your morals, and some people don't have morals, but refrain from actions because right now they would have consequences that would hurt them on a personal level (afraid for their own well being vs morals).

One way to think of it, what would you do now if there were no consequences to your actions. If you could get a neighbor arrested or warned, would you try and do "good" and just have them warned, or would you take the first chance and have them arrested/charged?

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #53
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Very well said, and I agree.
Thank you.

Quote:
Speaking as a Muslim (officially, at least) I find that an interesting take on the prohibition against pork. Never thought of it that way...
Every society has taboos and behaviors that may seem odd or even abhorrent to an outsider. If you look closely enough, all such things stem from the dictates of survival, and at one time helped to preserve the society which evolved them. The problem is that societies evolve for the same reason organisms do: to adapt to changes in the environment in which they live. Practices developed for the survival of the group may actually become anti-survival if the environment changes, but cultural patterns change with glacial slowness.

An example is that fact that sex outside of marriage by an unmarried woman is punishable by death by stoning in some societies. Dig a little, and the reasons become apparent. In such societies, functions that might be performed by local governments here are performed by family networks. Such societies often also have arranged marriages. Marriage in such societies is not a love match between a man and a woman: it's a political and economic alliance between families, made by the families for the benefit of the families. The feelings of the bride and groom may not be considered, and the arrangements may in fact be made when both are too young to have feelings about it.

In such a society, a young unmarried woman is valuable currency in negotiating family alliances. Family alliances are crucial, because any effort you might undertake requires the cooperation of others and blood ties are important methods of securing cooperation. A young woman who loses her virginity outside of marriage becomes debased currency, damaging the critical relationships between families, and destabilizing her society. No surprise the society should evolve draconian punishments to try to keep it from happening.

The society I live in looks at arranged marriages with blank incomprehension and death by stoning with horror, but it stems from different roots and evolved different customs. The functions served by family networks over there are handled otherwise here. The key point is that the culture you grow up in is what you consider right and normal. People from cultures which still practice arranged marriages may often think our idea of marriage as a love match between a man and woman is barking mad, and wonder what love has to do with marriage. From their perspective, it doesn't, and our notions are barking mad.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #54
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I believe we all ultimately have repercussions so my behavior would not change. I don't have too many criminal tendencies anyways.

However, a recent study said that many men would rape, steal, etc. without repercussions. We see this especially in wars: Traditionally, the victors rape and pillage.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #55
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
However, a recent study said that many men would rape, steal, etc. without repercussions. We see this especially in wars: Traditionally, the victors rape and pillage
True, but there is also a different reason behind it. Many soldiers who are on the front lines have high stress levels due to war. After a few days soldiers on the front line survive by following the commands that have been hammered in during their combat training. How your actions will be after you have been true days of near-dead are different than a normal person who knows that the end of the world is near. I doubt that stress levels will be the same, because knowing the world will end is more liberating for the mind I believe (since you know you can't avoid the unavoidable).
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #56
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Wasn't there a study a couple of years ago that found most soldiers in combat aim to miss their target?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #57
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
So what wouldn't you do. More importantly, why?
Very interesting thread and beautiful starting post.

In general it depends if one has thought about it in advance and made some provision for the event. Material, spiritual, whatever. I have a friend that owns one of the Thousand Islands. He has made himself a hidden fortress. I have an other friend that takes confession almost everyday to maximize his chance of going directly to Heaven.
Spoiler:
Funny thing. Both are very skinny and do not drink.

Myself I would not do anything different than what I do now, except perhaps being a little more on my toes for near by disorders. I would not be curious about news: there are so many disaster lovers around that I will be informed in spite of my disinterest.

Why? What a vulgar thing to let some mundane event to perturb my routine. That would be the image of myself that I would like to cast. Mostly to others. To myself, change vulgar to stupid.

I realize that my answer eludes the real question. Then a better one: I don't see the point of trying to make true things that I fantasized all my life. The circumstances would completely spoil the satisfaction, and worst, take away from me a pleasant and stimulating thing to be contemplated in the dark corners of my dirty mind.

So the answer is still I would not do nothing, Why? It would cost me a dream, for nothing in return.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #58
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
Traditionally, the victors rape and pillage.
Pillage is clear. Raping has a meaning in tribal wars. Raped women loose value to their own tribe and will not be used for re-population any more. So the enemy will take more time to gather strength. It is a survival trick.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #59
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I found myself curious about my morality, and wanted to consider the philosophical implications of it.
Let me be provocative. (you started the game, introducing a morality discussion with funny questions).

You found yourself curious about your morality, started a general discussion to avoid the consequences of someone who might clubber you on the head (or equivalent reactions, like no more Doritos for a week) once he/she knows the truth about you. Possibly yourself. Sneaky.

Be good from now on.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #60
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Despite the relatively short period of time, ones only concern will be the survival of oneself and ones family. For some there will remain an altruistic trait, but even this cannot be guaranteed.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, doomsday, ethics, morals, philosophical