Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #136
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
The problem is that there are quite many incompatibilities between the content structure of EPUBs and the document structure used in Atlantis and other generic word processors. Most of those incompatibilities (if not all of them) can be probably resolved in one way or another.
AWP would need to include a pretty modern XHTML+CSS renderer (WebKit or Gecko) if it ever wants to open epubs for editing. It's one thing to export a limited set of XHTML+CSS based on what the users mark up in AWP, but it's quite another supporting the display of epub books that people created with something else.

Is that something you have planned? I'd love to see a commercial epub editor.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #137
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
We have no plans for EPUB editor yet (I mean editor of existing EPUBs). What I meant is that we might add the EPUB import capability to Atlantis Word Processor in the future. EPUB would become a fully-fledged document format of Atlantis (like RTF, DOC, or DOCX).

There would be no need in what you call "a pretty modern XHTML+CSS renderer". Most modern word processors have more powerful rendering engines than any existing EPUB reader. The present version of Atlantis Word Processor does not have all the features of MS Word. But Atlantis still has plenty of text formatting options unsupported by the existing eBook readers. Most existing EPUB books can be perfectly rendered by the current engine of Atlantis Word Processor. Atlantis would only have to convert "XHTML+CSS" to its internal format. This is the main difficulty because there are quite many incompatibilities between "XHTML+CSS" and the internal document format of Atlantis.

Thanks for your comments, Valloric.
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #138
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
What I meant is that we might add the EPUB import capability to Atlantis Word Processor in the future. EPUB would become a fully-fledged document format of Atlantis (like RTF, DOC, or DOCX).
That would certainly be very interesting, since AWP already has a very powerful xhtml export facility (certainly more useful than Word's html).

If there's one thing I'd ask for, it would be retention of style names on both import and export, i.e. the style name becomes the class name and vice-versa, since the current list of .p1, .p2 etc is sometimes difficult to unravel when you need to make a change afterwards. This could also make it easier to distinguish between defined and generated styles.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #139
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

It is hard to say anything definite about this because, as I said above, we have no plans to implement the EPUB import in Atlantis Word Processor yet.

Ideally, any file generated by a visual editor should not require manual tweaking. No one tweaks DOCXs (a DOCX file is also a ZIP package with mainly XML files). If we had a single major EPUB reader compliant with the EPUB specifications, such a "perfect visual EPUB editor" could have been created.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #140
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
If we had a single major EPUB reader compliant with the EPUB specifications, such a "perfect visual EPUB editor" could have been created.
If wishes were horses...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #141
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If wishes were horses...
...we'd be used to hearing gunshots as they get shot out from under us?

Know what you mean.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #142
amoriguchi
amoriguchi began at the beginning.

Device: none
re-flowable ePub comic contents

Hello All,

I'm just start studying creating ePub file for comic.

What I want to implement is that when a screen size of a device is higher than 800x600,
comic is viewed as one page which include several frames, and when the screen is
smaller than 800x600, comic frame are displayed one by one.

I think it can be made by creating each image(jpg, gif, png or something) and format
them as one page that can be re-flowable based on screen size.

But by now I tried some by modifying HTML+CSS but no good result.

Is there anyone who can make it available, or if it impossible, please let me know.

Thanks,
akihiro
amoriguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #143
awp
Addict

I do not know what exactly you need. But I have composed a sample RTF document (see attached "Peanuts.rtf"), and converted it to EPUB with Atlantis (see attached "Peanuts.epub").
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Peanuts.rtf (326.8 KB, 410 views)
File Type: epub Peanuts.epub (164.8 KB, 406 views)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #144
hieubg
hieubg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-700
hi, i came across a problem, i have the document with many of endnotes and the reference in the document but they are in text format and not linked, so how can i link them together? there are hundreds of notes in the document, i have couple doc with about 600 notes in each.
hieubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #145
awp
Addict

It would not be easy to convert such a document in a non-plain-text format with proper linked notes and note references.

How the note references are marked in your plain text document? Something like this?

Code:

main body text – main body text – main body text[12]

[12] note text - note text - note text

In any case, if these documents are important to you, you can email them to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com. We could try to convert your documents to the required format, and send the converted document files to you.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #146
hieubg
hieubg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-700
Yes my documents exactly like that. But they are not really important, i just want to make nice formatted epub to read. i head that can be done by creating macro for word.
hieubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #147
awp
Addict

Sorry, but I could not help with macro programming in MS Word. If you do not want to email your documents to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com, maybe other members of this forum could help. ?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #148
McKGrif
McKGrif began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Image & Character Styles

Hi, I stumbled across Atlantis after using eScape for the longest. and let me first say your wysiwyg 'save as epub' feature is fantastic. Now Here is my problem; Atlantis Word Processor doesn't seem to support image or character styles like Open Office Writer (which is what I use), or Microsoft Word. I have attached both the writer and word documents and the epub they each produced. I had to zip the odt file

While the produced epub matches exactly the layout of the documents, that is the problem. Am I right in concluding that Atlantis does not handle image & character styles like word and writer? If so, are there any plans to address this?

If not, as great as the 'save to epub' feature is, I cannot see spending money for a word processor that doesn't do what both, a free program, and a program that comes packaged with almost every windows pc does.

On Liberty - John Stuart Mill.doc

On Liberty - John Stuart Mill-doc.epub

On Liberty - John Stuart Mill-odt.epub

On Liberty - John Stuart Mill.zip
McKGrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #149
awp
Addict

First, thanks for your comments on the "Save as eBook" feature of Atlantis Word Processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKGrif View Post
While the produced epub matches exactly the layout of the documents, that is the problem.
Sorry, but I do not understand how this could be a problem. The purpose of the "Save as eBook" command is exactly to preserve the layout of the document as displayed in Atlantis.

About styles.
The present version of Atlantis Word Processor supports only "paragraph styles". Character styles (as found in MS Word) are not supported yet. They are on the "to do" list. But they are not on the priority list.
I am not sure that there are "image styles" in MS Word. Could you please be more specific?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #150
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKGrif View Post
Am I right in concluding that Atlantis does not handle image & character styles like word and writer? If so, are there any plans to address this?

If not, as great as the 'save to epub' feature is, I cannot see spending money for a word processor that doesn't do what both, a free program, and a program that comes packaged with almost every windows pc does.
Open Word 2007, create a new paragraph style that has 10pt bold text and a new character style that has 14pt bold text. Type some words and apply the paragraph style to them. Now, select one word in the sentence and apply the character style to that. Bingo, it's no longer bold.

Select the character style from the Styles pane and modify it so that it specifies 14pt non-bold text. Bingo, the word that has it applied is now bold.

I can't blame Atlantis for not implementing a feature that's handled so poorly in Word.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub