Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
seamad
seamad began at the beginning.

Device: prs505, cybook Gen3 (no more), Kindle V3, Archos 7 HT
PRS-505 versus cyBook Gen 3 reliability

Reading the varius post I was able to cut down the possible choices to two, PRS-505 and Cybook Gen 3.
The first one I mainly appreciate for his apparent sturdiness and his PDF reflow capabilities, the Cybook for the mobipocket dictionary lookup (I'm not a native English speaker as it is easy to understand from my writing and I need sometimes to have a term explained or translated) and for the easy exchangeable fonts.
I mostly live in a small town in the Mekong delta where it's hot and humid and there is no way to have any kind of assistance, if the reader breaks it goes down the flush or has to wait my next trip to Italy (only Cybook, I fear, for the PRS-505 I've to rely on some friends living in the States). So reliability is really important: which one is the most dependable unit?
One more question, is there a big difference between 4 or 8 gray scales devices?
Thanks

Last edited by seamad; 11-16-2008 at 01:38 AM.
seamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As for reading, there is little if any difference between 4 or 8 levels.

As for reliability, both are excellent as long as the screen is not broken. There was a bit of a problem on the prior Sony model but I have heard of very few on the 505. I have heard of even less problems with the Cybook Gen3.

While there are stories afoot that Sony will add dictionary support to the 505, don't buy on that. Since a dictionary is important for you, go with the Gen3. Mobipocket is a wider supported format than the Sony LRF.

While either will serve you well for reading, only the Gen3 will provide the dictionary support you want. If there is anything we can do to help, just ask. Keep us posted about your progress.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert