Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
HTML OR XHTML? Wich One To Use?

Hi everyone, I've read on some tutorials (depends on the author) that one should use HTML to format a mobi book, and XHTML to format an epub book. Is this a rigid rule, or can I use one or the other no matter if it will be used to format a mobi or an epub bnook? Can someone tell me about the right thing to do, because I am really confused about ithis matter. Thank you all for helping me out.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm52 View Post
Hi everyone, I've read on some tutorials (depends on the author) that one should use HTML to format a mobi book, and XHTML to format an epub book. Is this a rigid rule, or can I use one or the other no matter if it will be used to format a mobi or an epub bnook? Can someone tell me about the right thing to do, because I am really confused about ithis matter. Thank you all for helping me out.
If you use KindleGen to convert an ePub to Mobi format then use XHTML. If you want to code directly into mobi format and use mobipocket creator then code in 3.2 version of HTML.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
fcm52
Steppenwolf

Tkx for your help Dale. So you agree if my intention is to code directly for mobi, the correct is to use html, and on the other hand, if it's to be coded directly for ebup with Sigil for example, I shoul use xhtml. Is this the right thing to do? Tkx.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I really don't think it matters a scrap whether one uses html or xhtml.

I use the same HTML editor for ePubs that I used in the olden days when I dabbled in web design, and it produces html files. They validate to W3C standards as xhtml 1.1 strict, and the ePubs I produce with them validate with ePubCheck and FlightCrew.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
fcm52
Steppenwolf

Tks Alex.
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Doesn't matter.

Adobe InDesign CS5.5 exports ePubs as a bunch of HTML files (don't know about 6.0 yet), while new projects in Sigil will be as XHTML, and FineReader 11 will also export ePubs that contain XHTML files.

ePubs can also be in XML format. See the screenshots from: http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The filename doesn't matter at all. The format (the content) must be XHTML for ePub.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The filename doesn't matter at all. The format (the content) must be XHTML for ePub.
To reiterate the filename including its extension does not matter at all. The content must be fully formed HTML that follows the XML rules to leave no open ended structures such as a <p> with no closing </p>. XHTML is HTML that follows XML rules.

In addition ePub supports CSS which mobipocket does not. All the people claiming it doesn't matter are using tools that fix things for them and do not understand what is going on under the hood.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
fcm52
Steppenwolf

Many thanks to all of you who are helping me out with these precious hints.