Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
mrniceguy
mrniceguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I Put this Content in My E-Book with no Legal Ramifications?

On my blog, I have a long series of posts that give instruction on how to accomplish some things in my niche. The information originally came from someone else's website; however, in my posts, I expand on the information, pretty extensively.

In each and every post, I give the original person credit as being the source of the information, and I even provide hyperlinks to their pages.

I'm in the middle of putting together an ebook that I want to market to people in my niche, and I would like to include summaries of many of the posts (from my website) in my ebook, because this information would add a ton of value to it.

I figured that if I listed their name in the ebook, I would have to pay them royalties, or something.

On the other hand, though, I figured that if I just provided hyperlinks to the blog posts located at my site inside the ebook, I'd probably be fine. Is that assumption correct? I must mention, that is not my preferred choice.

Hopefully, I didn't confuse you :-) Am I ok putting summaries of my posts in the ebook, even though my blog posts show that I'm not the originator of bulk of the content?
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm no copyright attorney, but if somebody prints something on a web page, it's legally copyrighted when he uploads it. Even without this © symbol.

If you take an idea and expand on it you have not violated somebody else's copyright.

In my first ebook I cited a web page AFTER I got the owners permission to include it in my book.

You might want to buy an hour of legal advise from a copyright attorney.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
mrniceguy
mrniceguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Little confused, but thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I'm no copyright attorney, but if somebody prints something on a web page, it's legally copyrighted when he uploads it. Even without this © symbol.

If you take an idea and expand on it you have not violated somebody else's copyright.

In my first ebook I cited a web page AFTER I got the owners permission to include it in my book.

You might want to buy an hour of legal advise from a copyright attorney.

L
Which one of my scenarios do you think I'm ok to do? It's late, so maybe my brain isn't working well.

I appreciate the advice, I'm going to call an attorney tomorrow.
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote