Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Xavier6162
Xavier6162 began at the beginning.

Device: None
A few Kindle DX Comments

Well I finally got my Kindle DX yesterday and I have some comments. Before I found out I had it in hand I checked my Amazon account and discovered hat the Kindle had already been registered to me. Strange...I didn’t have it yet. There was a User Guide on my account waiting to be sent to the KDX. So...I sent it and received a Successful Upload confirmation.

Sooo….I looked for and added a free Amazon book to my Kindle account and sent that to my KDX too.

Discovered there was a boxed Kindle waiting for me when I got home a few hours later. When I turned it on it was already registered to me. Cool. And the User’s Guide and that other book I downloaded were already on the KDX. Brilliant.

When others say this thing is heavy they aren’t kidding. Not a deal killer but it is something noticeable. After long readings I find myself propping it up for comfort. I connected it to the Amazon leather cover…and it was easy. Took awhile before it was perfectly aligned and connected. The cover will easily allow one to do it wrong and I can see how one could crack the case if it’s not done correctly. Just in case, I used Velcro on the back of the KDX/Leather cover. Won’t catch me opening this thing from the wrong end (which is easy to do)

The screen is a really nice size. I like it. I understand that the entire size of the K2 is the same size as the KDX’s screen. If that’s the case it would seem that the K2 would be a little harder to read for some like me with failing eyesight.

Despite the larger screen size I still find myself flipping pages more often than on a regular book. I can imagine that such frequent page turning would become very irritating on the much smaller K2 screen.

Did I say that the KDX is heavy?

The keyboard is not the easiest item to use. It turns a 4 finger 1 t thumb typist to a 2 index finger typist. But it works. You have to lay the Kindle down to do any amount of typing. 1 Because of the keyboard and 2 this thing is a little on the heavy side.

Spent about 3 hours yesterday reading the User’s Guide through Chapter 6 and testing all the features I read about. Including allowing the KDX to read to me. Which wasn’t bad. But the voice has a hard time pronouncing Kindle.

Went on to the chapter on Web Browsing. And I spent the next three hours browsing the Web. Spent about an hour reading about Roman Wars on Wikipedia. Visited all my other favorite sites and forums. Actually logged onto a couple forums and posted one message. Wow...but wasn’t all the easy with the KDX keyboard. Booked marked a few sites. Did a lot of reading on my favorite news sites…which were already on the KDX.

Tried to connect the KDX to my computer but the USB thingy wasn’t long enough to register with the PC. It was long enough to allow recharging but not long enough for the PC to accept it as an external device. So I used an adapter I had sitting around. The KDX shows up as a Kindle drive. And I immediately downloaded about 190 mobi Since Fiction books I just happen to have laying around (free down loads from another source).

Took my KDX into work this morning with the intent on adding music…but I forgot the USB plug. I did bring the adapter (just in case) but what good is that now. Since I’m only (at this moment) 75% complete on the User’s Guide, the KDX is propped up against my PC allowing me to read and work at the same time.

Overall this is a pretty decent device. Did 6 hours of reading just yesterday alone. Haven’t done that in years. I’m glade I got the larger size screen. Because as I hate the frequent page change now, I can only imagine how irritating/frustrating a smaller screen would be.

On…did I mention that this thing is heavy? It’s gonna take a day or so to get use to that.

Last edited by Xavier6162; 08-06-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Xavier6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Very helpful readings. I am waiting mine, arriving next Monday. Quite exited
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I just got mine... It doesn't feel heavy to me at all... I'm thoroughly enjoying mine.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Ordered mine yesterday and it should be here on Tuesday!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
As to weight, I had been reading the 6th Harry Potter book. The DX is very light in comparison. The machine is stunning. I can easily see carrying both a reader and laptop on the road.

The size is perfect for reading around the house. For travel, I can see the need for a smaller device, maybe a 7inch screen. Honestly, I can't for the life of me understand why folks would want the 5 inch screen on the new 300 from Sony.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162 View Post
Well I finally got my Kindle DX yesterday and I have some comments. Before I found out I had it in hand I checked my Amazon account and discovered hat the Kindle had already been registered to me. Strange...I didn’t have it yet.
As far as I've heard, they pretty much all come that way. They have to scan the serial number info on the outside of the box, anyway.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
TMark
TMark began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm not from the states and I've been told to expect some issues with the registration process. Anyone who's going to get their Kindle as a gift should know that it may have been automatically registered to the person who purchased it for you.
TMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
As to weight, I had been reading the 6th Harry Potter book. The DX is very light in comparison. The machine is stunning. I can easily see carrying both a reader and laptop on the road.

The size is perfect for reading around the house. For travel, I can see the need for a smaller device, maybe a 7inch screen. Honestly, I can't for the life of me understand why folks would want the 5 inch screen on the new 300 from Sony.
I'm very thin, 5'4" and have super skinny wrists and broke one of them once in a fall 5" down onto a dirt road. But, like you, I don't find the DX particularly heavy!

Xavier,
Must be expectations... I did get a great sleeve for it for using outside the house, as reading with the Amazon cover on it does make it more heavy than I want.
The sleeve is the Octo sleeve, protective but light as can be and adds as little bulk to the DX as possible considering that. $30. And I found a purse that is JUST the right height to hold it in the back because I think I want to carry it on a 3-week trip. Along with a laptop, as advocate2 says. The K2 6" screen is pretty small to me now! I can't imagine depending on the Sony 300 5" one, which doesn't have study tools even, anyway, not much storage and no SD card slot to compensate for it. People would be paying $200 just for the smaller size.

The M-Edge Platform cover is a bit bulky but it is GREAT when you want to have the DX propped up when eating or doing other things with the hands.

The screen's words are just so Crisp and the contrast so good that it's the reader I pick up now. The K2 is for when I'm out on the street and I want to carry a smaller purse.

I thought I'd do a post about a mobile-bookmarks file I made for myself and then offer it on my blog, at http://bit.ly/mobiweb but thought I'd mention it in this thread (too). All that web browsing you do is great - it requires patience and you've got it. Even I'm patient with it, since it's free and very useful when out and about away from computers.

- Andrys

Last edited by andrys; 08-10-2009 at 09:06 AM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMark View Post
I'm not from the states and I've been told to expect some issues with the registration process. Anyone who's going to get their Kindle as a gift should know that it may have been automatically registered to the person who purchased it for you.
Here is a good Amazon forum thread by people living outside the States who use a Kindle and buy e-books as needed. Lots of tips.

http://bit.ly/koutsusa

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
The sleeve is the Octo sleeve, protective but light as can be and adds as little bulk to the DX as possible considering that.
The Octo is just about perfect. I have both the K2 and DX versions and can't imagine a better case for the Kindle. Octo should have worked out a deal with Amazon as the default case. Besides being feather light, no animals had be sacrificed for our luxuries.

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've seen a lot of people mention how heavy the DX is, but I don't have a problem with it. It probably comes down to how you use it, I read in Bed with it resting on my knees or at a desk...

I might have different opinions if I was reading on a park bench holding the weight with my wrists I guess..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
TMark
TMark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Here is a good Amazon forum thread by people living outside the States who use a Kindle and buy e-books as needed. Lots of tips.

http://bit.ly/koutsusa

- Andrys
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out!
TMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
OCTO
OCTO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all,

That brown slip cover is currently being restocked ... should be available in under 2 weeks. We also have the same cover available in other colors, black, silver, metallic blue, white etc ....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...-keywords=OCTO

Let me know if you have any products requests, we'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks for your continued support,
Best regards,

OCTO
ellen@octostyle.com
OCTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I got mine a few days ago too and agree with your comments. It is heavier than the paperbacks I usually read but lighter than most any hardback I've read. Don't worry it will get lighter as time goes by as your arm gets stronger from holding it

One thing that I found is that it was more comfortable for me to hold the DX upside down, then the next page button falls right under the top of my left thumb.

I've been using the TTS to read to me with headphones and it "turns" the page for me. Seems like I retain more by hearing and reading at the same time.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote