Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
v2.12: Installing Japanese fonts for text viewing

Hi Everyone

I have been trying to install Japanese fonts for text viewing on my Iliad v2 but can't seem to get it working. Here is what I have done:

a. Download ttf from http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html
b. Create "fonts" directory in root directory of CF card. Put ttf files in it.
c. Go to /usr/share/fonts/truetype
d. Create symlink: ln -s /media/cf/fonts
e. Run fc-cache in /usr/share/fonts/truetype

But it does not seem to take effect even after a reboot. After running fc-cache, I can see a new binary font file in "fonts" directory in the CF card.

May I know if I have missed any steps?

(Reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=fonts)

Thanks
Quek
quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Instead of "ln" the directory, why not try "ln" the font file directly? BTW, Putting font file in memory card may cause iLiad reboot if you remove the memory card. I would suggest putting font file in "/mnt/free/fonts/".

Added:
There is some info in Wiki.

To check if font installed, use "fc-list". If the desired font name is not in the output list, then it's not installed.

Last edited by ericshliao; 01-26-2009 at 08:59 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Hi Eric

Thanks. I just checked with fc-list. It shows that my Jap fonts have already been included. But it still does not work. I would prefer not to link each file individually as its quite troublesome if there are many fonts.

Best regards
Quek
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

If fc-list shows the font installed, then it has nothing to do with your "ln " command. It may be individual app's problem, not the problem of font installation. The problem should be that the app you are using does not get correct font from X. For example, the official txt viewer and html viewer does not display national glyphs, such as Chinese, even with proper font installed.

Last edited by ericshliao; 01-26-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you use FBReader 0.8.4 the font should show up under Settings (tools icon) -> Styles. Unfortunately the font is a global choice, so you may need to reselect it if you switch back to an English document. Even better will be FBReader 0.10.0 (or 0.10.2), once it is available again. Note that FBReader 0.8.14 won't work, because it has the font hardwired.

If the font does not show up in the list in FBReader 0.8.4, then it is probably not installed correctly. Your description of the softlink does not sound right, but the actual link you made may be ok.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
quek
Enthusiast

Hi Eric and Wallcraft

Thanks for the replies. If the official text viewer does not support asian languages, may I know how does the Chinese fonts work on China Iliads? I am still quite newbie in these details.

Thanks
Quek
Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by quek View Post
If the official text viewer does not support asian languages, may I know how does the Chinese fonts work on China Iliads?
My iLiad is Europe version, so I don't know how Chinese version does the job. By conjecture, I bet iRex provides another text viewer for China version.
As I said in the above post, it's the problem of individual app. To make a test, since you have Japanese font installed, you can create a directory in your memory card with Japanese string, then you will find that Japanese file name is displayable on your contentlister. That means contentlister is capable of dealing with Japanese glyphs. So, you can infer that poor design is the reason why official text viewer not being able to display national glyphs.

Added:
Fortunately, we have some other alternatives.
You can find a app: LeafPad for iLiad in the forum, it should be capable of displaying national glyphs, at least Chinese glyph is ok.
LeafPad is just a proor-of-concept for you to test if national text is displayable on iLiad. In essence, it's a text editor, not a text viewer.

Last edited by ericshliao; 01-27-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
quek
Enthusiast

Hi Eric

Thank you very much for your detail explanations. You are right. The text viewer is the problem. I added Japanese characters to the filename and content lister is able to display it. So I guess it is too bad that my Iliad cannot display asian text. I ordered it directly from Irex through the web.

Best regards
Quek