Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
RogHelt
RogHelt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle
Calibre "chokes" on large ebook conversion

This is the first time I've experienced this:

I'm attempting to use Calibre's "remove spacing between paragraphs" feature for a Mobi book that is 16MB in size, quite large. It's the "Collected Works of Balzac" I bought last December. Calibre begins the conversion, but then stops at 47% progress, even though the "Jobs" wheel continues spinning in the lower left hand corner and the "Status" tab says it's still working. After up to 12 minutes I stop the process because it always gets stuck at ... 47%!

I even try converting the same book to ePub with the same parameter but the same good old "47%" roadblock occurs.

I've done a search about Calibre book-size limitations in their documentation and these forums, but so far no luck, or I overlooked something.

Is there an other way to convert/modify very large ebooks? Do I let Calibre's conversion run until it eventually finishes the large task? Or has the book size exceeded the program's limits?

I have enclosed a text file of the last log of one of my conversion attempts (over 10 minutes) in case it can help solve my problem.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre_log.txt (3.1 KB, 582 views)

Last edited by RogHelt; 02-21-2011 at 12:17 PM.
RogHelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogHelt View Post
"Status" tab says it's still working. After up to 12 minutes I stop the process because it always gets stuck at ... 47%!
If it says it's working then it's working.

Quote:
Do I let Calibre's conversion run until it eventually finishes the large task?
Yes. It's a large task it's going to take a while.

Quote:
Or has the book size exceeded the program's limits?
There is no size limit.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
RogHelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
If it says it's working then it's working.

Yes. It's a large task it's going to take a while.

There is no size limit.
That's good to know about there being no size limit, thank you for such a fast reply.

I've been running the same conversion job...again...on this large book for over 25 minutes now, and it's still going ... the progress tab is still saying...you guessed it...67%. Hopefully running it for maybe an hour might complete the job. Will update here if/when it finishes...hopefully
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As long as there are no errors, the conversion is still working. I've had certain conversions run for up to 24 hours, and I know others have had similar experiences. Just let it work.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
RogHelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
As long as there are no errors, the conversion is still working. I've had certain conversions run for up to 24 hours, and I know others have had similar experiences. Just let it work.
Thanks again, this is a terrific forum filled with great & helpful people!!

I'll let it run as long as it needs.

My only remaining question: is that "67%" progress reading normal for these long conversions, even after (now) 42 minutes and longer?

EDIT: I meant to say "67%" in my original query, not 47%.

Last edited by RogHelt; 02-21-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There are some distinct percentage steps that Calibre will, on long conversions, spend quite some time on. The 67% mark is one of them, I don't remember the rest.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
RogHelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
There are some distinct percentage steps that Calibre will, on long conversions, spend quite some time on. The 67% mark is one of them, I don't remember the rest.
I'm only too happy to say that THE CONVERSION HAS FINALLY COMPLETED!!!!

It took a little over an hour, but everything turned out perfectly! I didn't realize (though logic should have prevailed, due to the size of my book) that it would take as long as it did, as I'm used to 1-2 minutes for most of my library.

Thanks again to one and all -- especially the wonderful developers of Calibre!

PS: donation forthcoming...
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
tara1245
tara1245 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, kindle fire
I thought my conversion was getting hung up too. It's a huge anatomy text and it slowed down at exactly 67%. It's good to know this is normal. I'll try it again.
tara1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #9
Chuck Miller
Novice
Chuck Miller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Waiting seems fruitless

My book has 425 pages. When processing it got stuck as described above. I would start processing and it would immediately be at 47%, but never go farther. I thought I might not be giving it enough time. I left it processing over night; 675 minutes. It never went past 47%.
Chuck Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I had a book go 27+ hours

The title shown implies charts and tables (read: complex)

The general advice: RUN (however long) till it crashes

Additional advice: RAM, lots of it. X64 processor (and Calibre),so you can have even MORE RAM
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The general advice: RUN (however long) till it crashes

Additional advice: RAM, lots of it. X64 processor (and Calibre),so you can have even MORE RAM
+1 for the above. Another hint, if (and only if) you're going from AZW3 to epub: use the KindleUnpack plugin to convert. It unpacks the AZW3 and repacks the resulting HTML into an epub without doing much else. It's much faster than a Calibre conversion for big and/or complex books.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
jgrzadka
jgrzadka began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
My job has been running 3700 minutes. My machine has 12 GB of RAM and an i7 processor. I am not convinced it will ever finish converting the epub to pdf.
jgrzadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrzadka View Post
My job has been running 3700 minutes. My machine has 12 GB of RAM and an i7 processor. I am not convinced it will ever finish converting the epub to pdf.
You are probably IO bound.
Also, Calibre can not use more than a single core on a job

You are doing a complex conversion from simple text (HTML) into a page layout.

Let it grind until it is done or crashes.
You still have those other cores available to play Solitaire
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #14
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
a Mobi book that is 16MB in size
. It is not large, it is huge. A friend of mine once asked me to convert for him some 1-2MB prc files (text only) and I could never see the job done in Calibre conversion. Probably I was not patient enough (more than 36 hours...). So what I did was to convert the prc to one huge html file - which could be done in no time - and Calibre Editor took cares of the rest. Much faster and time consuming.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
. It is not large, it is huge. A friend of mine once asked me to convert for him some 1-2MB prc files (text only) and I could never see the job done in Calibre conversion. Probably I was not patient enough (more than 36 hours...). So what I did was to convert the prc to one huge html file - which could be done in no time - and Calibre Editor took cares of the rest. Much faster and time consuming.
A 16MB book is not particularly large. Many of the "Delphi Classics" collections are well over 100MB, and can take many hours to convert. As has been said, though, just let it run. It will either finish eventually, or report an "out of memory" error. For large books, running the 64-bit version of Calibre on a machine with >4GB RAM is the best solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote