Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
Cybook versus Iliad

I am a happy Cybook owner, since beginning of august, but somehow I wasn't quite sure if I had made the right choice, as the Iliad seemd like the perfect gadget to me (although to expensive). yesterday I had the opportunity to try an Iliad reader, and I'd like to share my opinion with you.

What I liked, and very much, of the Iliad, was the size of the screen, one can read perfectly well a pdf file, although the lettering is a bit smaller. Also the quality of the photos, grey scales, looked slightly better to me then in the Cybook. And of course the Library file system whizh as we all know does not exist in the Cybook.

What I did not of the Iliad like (in comparison with Cybook, I haven't tried any other ereader although I would like to try a sony) was the size of the reader, although it's clear that if you want a bigger screen you have a bigger reader, but apart from that what I didnt' like that it seems much slower, passing the pages and changing from one menu to another seemd much smoother and quicker with the Cybook.

Another thing I didn't like were the keys, they just do not seem good quality, and I don't like at all the large one on the left side which is used for passing pages. I really do prefer the simplicity and quality of the cybook.

One question though, the Iliad seems to have only 2 days battery, is this due to the wacom screen? This seems like a very important disadvantage.

Which one would you like for a second erader?? I'd like a bigger screen but do not really care for writing on it.

anahid (from Spain)
anahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anahid View Post
One question though, the Iliad seems to have only 2 days battery, is this due to the wacom screen? This seems like a very important disadvantage.

Which one would you like for a second erader?? I'd like a bigger screen but do not really care for writing on it.
I like the cybook too, it really great
iLiad is another question.
Yes it's battery wipe away in 2-3 days but it seem to depend by the OS and then it's resolvable.
I like very much the iLiad for writing purpose and cybook for little encumber.
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iLiad is great for PDF files, but its current implementation of the Mobipocket Reader is primitive in the extreme. The "killer" for me (and the specific reason I sold my iLiad) is the fact that it doesn't have any support for bookmarks. Bookmarks are vital for me for marking errors when I read the books that I've created. There are alternative readers available for it, such as FBReader, but still it is (IMHO) nothing like as good for reading fiction as the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What I did not of the Iliad like (in comparison with Cybook, I haven't tried any other ereader although I would like to try a sony) was the size of the reader, although it's clear that if you want a bigger screen you have a bigger reader
All the attention going forward is on 9.7" screens, so most vendors seem to agree that the sweet spots are 6" and 9.7" (or larger, I suppose). This might change if the FlexiScreen option becomes available for the 8" Vizplex screens.

I have both a iLiad and a Kindle, and I use the iLiad around the house, because a larger screen wins over all other issues, but I use the Kindle when I travel because the iLiad is less convenient. That might change if a Iliad-like device had a long battery life, an instant on capability, and a less fragile screen. I don't consider the iLiad less robust that the Kindle, but a larger device is intrinsically more likely to suffer stress in normal use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "killer" for me (and the specific reason I sold my iLiad) is the fact that it doesn't have any support for bookmarks.
Don't annotations take the place of bookmarks? Especially if you are marking errors in the book?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't annotations take the place of bookmarks? Especially if you are marking errors in the book?

BOb
They would indeed, but unfortunately annotations are only available with PDFs, not MobiPocket books, which are what I was reading .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
They would indeed, but unfortunately annotations are only available with PDFs, not MobiPocket books, which are what I was reading .
Hmm... I didn't know that. Perhaps you could convert your ebooks to PDF...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Bookmarks are vital for me for marking errors when I read the books that I've created.
Lucky you. I started using bookmarks for that, but at the end found it better to use pen and paper. I never (well, sometimes) knew exactly what the "problem" was (or how many there were) in the page I had bookmarked and, moreover, since the bookmark is attached to the top of the page, after changing font/size the actual error might be in a different page... So I went back to good ol' pen and paper. Besides, I can fix things in the computer without having to turn on the Cybook or open a book that I have already finished.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
I've never tried the Iliad--but I think most of which is "better" depends on what you want to do with it. The Cybook is great for pleasure reading--it's small size, light weight, and battery life make it ideal for travel.

I can see the advantages to of the Iliad--especially for pdf support and for annotating what you're reading--but I can't help but think by the time you're doing that, maybe a tablet pc would be better *shrug.* You'd be adding yet more weight and a harder-on-the-eyes screen, but it seems maybe at that point it would be more of an advantage to have the full versatility of a computer, as well as a keyboard and a color screen
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
i have the luxury to be able to choose between the prs-505, the cybook and the iliad.
i bought the sony first while travelling in the states. i didn't know such a thing existed! but i live in europe where sony is not available (yet) and access to the sony connect store is denied for europeans. i love my sony the best (altho' lacking the (iliad) possibility to make library folders). it's just beautiful designed. but that's a matter of taste and therefore very personal.
i was able to get the iliad through work. use the iliad mostly for pdf-documents, to read at home and to read my e-newspaper instead of the paper-edition. (miss the bookmarking possiblity).
the cybook is great for traveling. see all the arguments duodora has given.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:00 AM   #11
anahid
Connoisseur
anahid began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 + Kindle 3
I had one doubt about the Iliad, the battery life, with the wacom screen and all it seemed to me that battery life had to be much lower than in other e-ink devices.

To tell you the truth I never have got 8000 page turn as promised, but I do get about 3000 pages, which is pretty good, even if reading most of the day it allows you to use read without reloading a couple of days.

I just read a thread talking about Iliad DR1000 battery life, and it seems that although Iliad promises 8 hours battery life, 24 hour in sleeping mode (which I think is really bad compared to Cybook), in reality it only gives between 3,5 and 5 hours battery life!!! I don't think I could live with that, I usually read much more than that every day.

This does make me feel better about my cybook...
anahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
I see the 2 diverging into 2 different markets/uses. Especially the new DR is much bigger. I can still slip my Cybook into a bag and carry it around easily whereas DR is too big to carry anywhere and use it any place. Runtime is just another example of that. You can take Cybook any place knowing it will last for days. Not so with DR.

So I see Cybook for general literature and light PDF use. I see DR for heavy PDF use and other large format content (diagrams, large images, newspapers, etc) which tends to be close to a USB port of some sort. Thus you can recharge often while it travels less.

I can easily see heavy duty readers using both.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Ranpha
Ranpha began at the beginning.

Device: ex-dr1000s user
Quote:
I had one doubt about the Iliad, the battery life, with the wacom screen and all it seemed to me that battery life had to be much lower than in other e-ink devices.

To tell you the truth I never have got 8000 page turn as promised, but I do get about 3000 pages, which is pretty good, even if reading most of the day it allows you to use read without reloading a couple of days.

I just read a thread talking about Iliad DR1000 battery life, and it seems that although Iliad promises 8 hours battery life, 24 hour in sleeping mode (which I think is really bad compared to Cybook), in reality it only gives between 3,5 and 5 hours battery life!!! I don't think I could live with that, I usually read much more than that every day.

This does make me feel better about my cybook...
Mine Ilead dr100s didn't even last 3 houres in idle mode ...even my smartphone with all connection to max and max download has better battery
Ranpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranpha View Post
Mine Ilead dr100s didn't even last 3 houres in idle mode
The iLiad is a different device, also from iRex, with an 8" screen and about 12 hrs battery life.

There is a software update, released yesterday, that seems to give the promised ~8 hours for the DR1000S. A future software upgrade to the DR1000S is supposed to give ~24 hours when on but idle. This is much less than the Cybook, and it will be interesting to see if other vendors are able to get a longer battery life out of their large screen devices. So far the DR1000S is the only large screen game in town.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote