Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: So which one would you suggest me to get (be aware, this is a public poll)
Used (or refurbished) Kindle DX Graphite 3G International version 8 40.00%
New (or used) Boox M92 12 60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Yes, I compared M92 and K DXG (it was the second generation of DX) side by side and it was the same, in my opinion. Greyish frame of K DXG makes it feel that white is whiter than in white frame of my M92. But when I made paper white frame for Kindle no real difference was visible. So, it was only optical illusion.

So, for you I would recomed M92 in black frame. And if you decide to buy M92, you should also consider where. There is more distribution channels and in at least one it is not possible to install Booxstor's firmware and guy from that company proclaimed there will not ne android for M92. And some M92 from Russian distribution are without touch screen and/or audio output. Booxtor said, those might have problems with porting android.

So, beside price and shop location, one has to take in account also the ability to freely update firmware.

Last edited by Mono; 01-10-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Zilov
Enthusiast
Zilov began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2, Nook STwGL, Bookeen Muse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Indeed, but the DX Graphite model should have the exact same eInk Pearl screen, correct?

Not exactly. DX has Pearl 10:1, ONYX M9x, all of them - 12:1. You should compare, the visual diffrence is obvious.

I think that just the question "Kindle DX vs. ONYX M9x" is out of sence.
Zilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
May be right. Thanks for correction.

I compared only the text, no greyscale. My interest was, if white is the same on both units, because it seemed to me that KDXG has whiter white. As I explained, white is the same, the difference in perception of it is due to different colour of the frame.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Zilov
Enthusiast
Zilov began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2, Nook STwGL, Bookeen Muse
I compared too. ONYX is much better, but it's possible that is the matter of individual vision, no bone to pick.
Zilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
(plan to continue to buy my books through Amazon, it's quite convenient).

I mainly want to read amazon books. I normally do not read PDFs, so what is your take on this?
Looking at that, I'd say a used DXG (if you can get one) would be your best bet, if cheap enough.

The M92 is arguably the more modern (and better) device, but like you say, that would involve becoming friends with Apprentice Alf and his gang and converting to ePub. And losing the ability to buy directly from Amazon from the device, if that's important to you.

I have a DXG, and to me the M92 isn't enough better than the DXG to switch, although I would pick it over the DXG if I had to buy a 9.7" reader today.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Sidenote ... on ebay deals, there seem to be some refurbished DxG models for 159 US$ available (which strikes me as a very good price, if they are good devices).

Unfortunately they do not ship to Germany, here the price point is more around EUR 220-250 for very well maintained models (which is quite a bit more when translated to US$)

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I own the previous incarnation - the M90 - and it hasn't seen the light of day in a year. I don't know if the M92 is a significant upgrade, but the M90 was very problematic for me. If I let it sleep - vs. shutting it off - it wouldn't turn on. I'd be reading and it would jump back to the home screen. There were other niggling problems as well.

I vastly prefer my DX, and use it every day in conjunction with my PW.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
The M90 was an error ... sorry.
The M92 is a very good product. These problemes are solved. You can look on the videos, even if it's an old firmware (1.6, now 1.8 with patchs), the M92 is an other device than the M90.

Last edited by Randy11; 01-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the updates!

One more question regarding both readers - are they able to display e-books in 2-column-view?

That is what I find very attractive when reading on my iPad. On the Kindle Keyboard, there seems to be a setting to allow it to display multiple-column text (haven't tested that yet, as the screen is not that big anyway), but according to some posts I have read here, this does not seem to work on the Kindle DX (potentially to the older firmware not offering that option). Is there any way to enable that on the Kindle DX (e.g. hacking it and putting the 3.1 firmware on it as I have seen in some other threads) ?

Does it work with ePub on the M92?

And yes, I have been using calibre to back up some of my books before, but that was a P.I.T.A. because of the bugginess of the Kindle for PC application that seemed to stop working in regular intervals on my PC.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-11-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I've never used a Kindle DX, but love my M92. I mostly use it for DjVu, so I'm not sure about how it does on epubs. There are two different epub readers in Boox's. If you change the suffix from .epub to .zip the Boox opens them in FB Reader.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #26
Andy_T
Evangelist

Another question regarding ePUB.

Does the BOOX M92 support ePub with DRM?

Being able to loan e-books from my local library would be a specific asset (not possible on Kindle other than Fire with Bluefire reader).

Best regards,
Andy
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does the BOOX M92 support ePub with DRM?

Being able to loan e-books from my local library would be a specific asset (not possible on Kindle other than Fire with Bluefire reader).
Yes, it does.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
Andy_T
Evangelist

OK ... to make it even more complicated ...

... have just seen that there are also in Germany a number of (new or lightly used) units of the Pocketbook 912 available. How would that one compare to the other two?

Best regards,
Andy
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
OK ... to make it even more complicated ...

... have just seen that there are also in Germany a number of (new or lightly used) units of the Pocketbook 912 available. How would that one compare to the other two?
The Pocketbooks don't use a Pearl E-ink screen, but the previous generation (original VizPlex). Unless the 912 is significantly cheaper, I'd pass on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #30
Andy_T
Evangelist

Pocketbook is around EUR 220 new, Boox M92 is EUR 350 (so it's about 30 % cheaper).

But I guess, yeah, being used to eInk Pearl on my Kindle Keyboard, it might be a step back. The advantage I see on the Pocketbook is that it features some apps like a calendar (which I would consider really nice on an e-reader).

But as I am currently already working to get a Windows 8 Pro tablet as test device in my job, that might take care of the calendar requirement.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-15-2013 at 03:42 AM.