Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
Font
Connoisseur
Font began at the beginning.

Device: none
Every action has a reaction - electronic text content providers

The reason I am not into Amazon electronic reader is because it is said, every action has a reaction. So by being party to it's monopolising electronic text store and electronic reader, I am compromising myself to their electronic texts and paper publications completely that could have negative things. The monopoly is significant and thus ever action has a reaction is also more.
Font is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon is not a monopoly; there are other readers and other bookstores.

Buy whatever YOU want; if a Kindle doesn't suit you, buy a reader that does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon is not a monopoly; there are other readers and other bookstores.

Buy whatever YOU want; if a Kindle doesn't suit you, buy a reader that does.
What about the alternative operating system, you have not said about that?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Yeah, I've bought a few books from Amazon but have downloaded thousands from the lightnet, and have read a few hundred I suppose. I have no idea what those books would have cost me or the taxpayer if I was forced to obtain those through the corporate darknet.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Font View Post
The reason I am not into Amazon electronic reader is because it is said, every action has a reaction.
You're right, ever action has an equal and opposite reaction. My reaction to your post is to not read any further.

Oh, and /eye roll, but I guess that's two reactions.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
The reason I am not into Amazon electronic reader is because it is said, every action has a reaction.So by being party to it's monopolising electronic text store and electronic reader, I am compromising myself to their electronic texts and paper publications completely that could have negative things. The monopoly is significant and thus ever action has a reaction is also more.
Judging by your post, you really don't understand what you're talking about.

Every action has an opposite and equal reaction. In this case, someone else would have created a system very similar to Amazon's.

I wonder how many Nooks and crannies you'll have to look in to find that...
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
That's actually the fascinating thing about e-books - a monopoly really isn't possible. The way it works now, any publisher in the world could sell e-books that would work on the Kindle and completely cut Amazon off if they wanted to.

Most don't choose to, because they insist on using DRM. But some like Baen don't, and I guess Phoenix, too (if they would only follow Baen's pricing, I might actually buy from them...)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Font
Connoisseur

Using an alternative operating system on the Amazon electronic readers is better because then the Amazon store monopoly goes and the every action has a reaction burden is reduced. The corporate tie-in is disrupted and this provides consumer choice to shop at another electronic text store.

Last edited by Font; 10-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Using an alternative operating system on the Amazon electronic readers is better because then the Amazon store monopoly goes and the every action has a reaction burden is reduced. The corporate tie-in is disrupted and provides consumer choice.
There are no "alternate operating systems" for Amazon devices, as far as I'm aware. It runs Linux, and only Linux.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
There are no "alternate operating systems" for Amazon devices, as far as I'm aware. It runs Linux, and only Linux.
This claims to be an Amazon electronic reader alternative operating system (probably not as yet for the new Amazon readers announced in the last few days)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316
Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is not an "alternate operating system"; it's simply a different application for reading books. It's still running on the same Linux o/s.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
This is not an "alternate operating system"; it's simply a different application for reading books. It's still running on the same Linux o/s.
"Its an alternative OS...."
Reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105847
Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
"Its an alternative OS...."
Reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105847
Here is a photo from the reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-02--1317565062_156x19_scrot.png
Views:	207
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	77244  
Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, it isn't. The description in the thread is incorrect. The phrase "operating system" has a very specific meaning in IT. The operating system is Linux. You wouldn't say that you'd changed the operating system on your Windows computer if you switched from Microsoft Office to Open Office, would you? Duokan is a different reading app; it's not a different operating system.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
Font
Connoisseur

Quote:
No, it isn't. The description in the thread is incorrect. The phrase "operating system" has a very specific meaning in IT. The operating system is Linux. You wouldn't say that you'd changed the operating system on your Windows computer if you switched from Microsoft Office to Open Office, would you? Duokan is a different reading app; it's not a different operating system.
Here is some more photo evidence saying alternative operating system or alternative os:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-02--1317565305_526x85_scrot.png
Views:	243
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	77245   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-02--1317565323_525x97_scrot.png
Views:	237
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	77246   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-02--1317565348_525x81_scrot.png
Views:	257