Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
scoopman
scoopman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
New York Times + Calibre 0.6.47 (Mac) = beach ball of death

Hi there --

Just discovered Calibre soon after receiving my Sony Pocket Reader today.

It's working well except for the recipe for the New York Times. When I select any of the New York Times ones that come standard, I get a beach ball and the dialog never prompts me to sign in.

I saw a thread that there was an updated NY Times recipe, but that does the same thing.

I left Calibre going for a good 15 minutes before having to Force Quit it.

Anyone know what the problem could be here? How do I diagnose this properly?

Thanks!
scoopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post the output from Console.app when it hangs
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
scoopman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Post the output from Console.app when it hangs
sure .... sorry for the n00b question, but how would I do this?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopman View Post
sure .... sorry for the n00b question, but how would I do this?
It would seem that console.app is an application on your OSX machine used for viewing log files. I have a Windows XP machine myself so I can't help much, but I'm sure if you call up whatever system help is included on your machine it will point you in the right direction.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just type console.app in spotlight and lauch the app. Then run calibre and cause it to hang.
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
scoopman

Okay so I've run console.app and then tried to do a "Fetch News / Schedule News Download" in Calibre, then I chose New York Times as the source.

Console reported this:

4/12/10 12 Apr 11:13:32 PM [0x0-0xc70c7].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[19738] link hasn't been detected!
4/12/10 12 Apr 11:13:32 PM [0x0-0xc70c7].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[19738] link hasn't been detected!

I let things run until 11:38 PM and got no other console messages yet calibre is completely crashed, and I had to Force Quit it to end the program.

Any ideas on what's not working right?

Thanks very much for the excellent software and quick response!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Strange. One thing to try is to move the windows around to make sure there isn;t a error dialog under them.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
scoopman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Strange. One thing to try is to move the windows around to make sure there isn;t a error dialog under them.
I've done an Expose on the app and the only two windows from calibre are the main one and the crashed dialog box.

Many other recipes all work great -- even some that require my password -- but none of the NYT ones do.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm out of ideas, sorry. I can't replicate this behavior and not being an OS X user, I don't know enough about debugging on OS X to help further.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Many other recipes all work great -- even some that require my password -- but none of the NYT ones do.
It's a shame that this problem is being so difficult but it does look as if you have come to the punch line of the Doctor, doctor joke.

Patient: Doctor, doctor it hurts when I do xyz
Doctor: Well, don't do xyz. That'll be $400.00 pay on the way out.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
scoopman

Very strange but I just uninstalled calibre (using an app deleter to get rid of all files) and then reinstalled and the fixed NYT recipe I found here is now working fine!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Very strange but I just uninstalled calibre (using an app deleter to get rid of all files) and then reinstalled and the fixed NYT recipe I found here is now working fine!
Happy Days!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The built-in NYTimes recipe is the current one. That fixed one was temporary.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
scoopman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
The built-in NYTimes recipe is the current one. That fixed one was temporary.

G
ah, cool, thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I hate it when that happens! Do you think our computers are doing this to drive us mad? It is a conspiracy, I tell you!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote