Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Very useful USB/power cable

I bought one of these cables, and it solved the charging problems I have been having with my PRS-300.

The problems:
- My PRS-300 will not charge over USB using a USB wall power supply. It must be connected to a computer that is 'on' to charge.
- We have multiple devices that can charge using a USB power supply. I don't want to carry yet another power adapter, or be forced to carry my laptop.
- I want to be able to read while charging.

The solution: a cable with a USB connector on one end and both a 4mm power connector and a micro-USB connector on the other (a 'Y' connection). If I plug the USB side into my power supply, I use the 4mm end for the PRS-300 and the micro-USB end for the other devices. If I plug the cable into my computer and I want to sync, etc, then I use the micro-USB for everything. If I merely want to charge the PRS-300 from the computer (e.g., I want to read), I use the 4mm end. When traveling, I carry one USB wall adapter and this cable to charge our phones and readers. I can even charge a phone and the PRS-300 at the same time by connecting a device to each end of the Y. Problems solved.

Amazon in the US has similar cables.

Last edited by chaley; 02-02-2010 at 06:51 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good find!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Welcome to the forums and enjoy your Reader! Not really a 'find'; these cables have been mentioned and discussed here for a few years now. I really think there should be a huge sticky with this info on top of all Sony Reader forums. It's the best charging/data option--Sony should pack these cables into every Reader box. Dealextreme in HK has them even cheaper, btw.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
I got the exact same one, or a clever copy at EBgames here in Canada. Works a charm.
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

For those in the USA, you can get a similar Rocketfish branded cable at Best Buy.
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Shtop
Shtop began at the beginning.

Device: PRS300
I just got one from Amazon.co.uk, £2.09 including delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...rev_prod_title
Shtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I bought this one with the PSP tip and got an additional mini USB tip and one for my phone. I like that it's retractable and easy to pack. Shipping was cheap, too.

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...547&t_mode=des
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'll just add that this cable is pretty cheap and can charge a number of devices, including your sony reader (works great on my 600) using the USB or Sony tip. not to mention all the other cool gadgets DealExtreme has.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
rokr
rokr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Chaley thanks for the info, I bought one of these cables from ebay and it works great with any USB charger!
I can now charge my PRS-600, my phone, and my GPS with the same cable+USBcharger on trips.
Sony should include a charger with its Readers, if you charge from a computer you cannot charge and read at the same time. 300$ and no charger included, are they serious?
rokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokr View Post
300$ and no charger included, are they serious?
The excuse is probably that they gave you the neoprene sleeve.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
rokr
rokr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
@offtopic
Quote:
Don't poke people with the stylus
(from the PRS-600 manual)
rokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokr View Post
@offtopic

Quote:
Don't poke people with the stylus
(from the PRS-600 manual)
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote