Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Another CES... a report from Astak

Dear All:

Another CES has come and gone. I bummed out my knee before the first day and struggled to walk most of the show. CES is a mess before it opens. For a full report on what CES was like I will post a new entry on my blog today (www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com).

There have been no days off and little sleep for ten days now so please forgive bad writing.

The hit of the show from my perspective was the Pocket PRO. It finally caught the attention of a lot of reviewers and of the attendees. We were mobbed.

Astak showed prototypes of new 7 inch Mobile Internet Devices. These are a lot more than Dedicated eBook Readers as they have Voice Over Internet Protocal, full browsers, and display everything from games to full color anything you want. The projected retail price of the Astak Spectrum is $290.

Astak also showed the first Wi-Fi and Touchscreen device in 6 inch. What sets this unit apart is the Touchscreen is clear... you do not lose resolution like on other Touchscreens. The clarity is simply amazing to see.

We also are contemplating bringing in the first 9 inch (not 9.7). This has a keyboard and Touchscreen plus Wi-Fi. We also are thinking of carrying a similar 6 inch with keyboard.

Most of this will shake out over the next two months. We have a cornicopia of great eBook Readers now available to us; and decisons now need to be made on what to carry and what the price will be and what colors may be a part of each model. If everything goes smoothly, many of these new introductions will be Astak offerings within three months.

I know most of you will wish to have details. I cannot provide them yet. What we showed now has to become reality. We were delighted with the quality and the features of the potential devices we will carry. Now we have to figure out how to make all these great devices become ready for market. There are business decisions to be made now. Packaging has to be readied and specs have to be firmed up.

ALL I can tell you now is 2010 looks like it will be an amazing year for Astak!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Astak also showed the first Wi-Fi and Touchscreen device in 6 inch. What sets this unit apart is the Touchscreen is clear... you do not lose resolution like on other Touchscreens. The clarity is simply amazing to see.

We also are contemplating bringing in the first 9 inch (not 9.7). This has a keyboard and Touchscreen plus Wi-Fi. We also are thinking of carrying a similar 6 inch with keyboard.
These are presumably Jinke devices? Note that they updated their web pages before CES to include the A6 and A9, see CES pre-announcement from Jinke.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Yay, finally what i was hoping for,now i pray that is the A9 model released from Jinke. Seems March/April will be a good time to wait for a new model
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 6 inch and 9 inch are Jinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
These are presumably Jinke devices? Note that they updated their web pages before CES to include the A6 and A9, see CES pre-announcement from Jinke.
Cannot say anything at this time about the clear Touchscreen device.

Netronix also showed a 9 inch device in our booth at CES.

In reality, people LOVED the display on the Mentor Lite. That was commented upon time and again.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Does the name Mentor Lite suggest there is some sort of lighting on the device so you don't need a book light, or is it referring to the device's weight? Or are you allowed to share that?
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Robertb

There were to be numerous Mentors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Does the name Mentor Lite suggest there is some sort of lighting on the device so you don't need a book light, or is it referring to the device's weight? Or are you allowed to share that?
Dear Davimee:

When the original Mentor roadmap was laid out by the factory there were to be about four Mentors that looked alike but had different features. The one that was offered was the "basic" model and then still others would have Wi-Fi, 3G, Touchscreen, and 16,000 pages to a single charge. So, we named it Mentor Lite... indicating that there would be more full-featured models later.

The factory still MAY do this... but right now seems to have found new devices entirely. It is too late to change the name. The Mentor Lite remains a fabulous six inch that is really drawing attention. The display on it at CES was noted by attendees as incredibly sharp. While the name no longer seems to have much meaning... the device is shaping up to be very loved!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Robertb, that makes sense. Thanks! I am thinking more and more about getting an ebook reader, and I like the idea of the smaller size of the Pocket Pro. I am hoping it will be small enough to fit in my purse, but I'll have a better idea once I'm able to see one in person. Thanks for all your information!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Robertb, that makes sense. Thanks! I am thinking more and more about getting an ebook reader, and I like the idea of the smaller size of the Pocket Pro. I am hoping it will be small enough to fit in my purse, but I'll have a better idea once I'm able to see one in person. Thanks for all your information!
I can attest to the fact that the pocket pro does indeed fit very well in a purse. While there are things to admire in the Kindle and Nook, at the end of the day I LOVE the form factor of my Pocket Pro so much I am willing to overlook some of the nicer features on the Kindle and Nook (mainly OTA downloading of books).

I find myself reading a lot more now with consistency because I always have my Pocket Pro with me. And it's so light (and especially in comparison to the Kindle and Nook). All in all I am very pleased with my purchase of the Pocket Pro. I hope you get to see one in person soon...the form factor is fabulous.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
lilila
lilila began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505, Netronix EB600
Quote:

In reality, people LOVED the display on the Mentor Lite. That was commented upon time and again.
Just got myself a white mentor lite last week. The support of epub, html and PDF files is great. However, You have to reset it once in a while. So I have to give up the protective book cover. The book boots relatively fast.

There is also a Green book by netronix, currently sold in Taiwan. The green book is exactly the same as Mentor Lite (I compared the specifications carefully already), but with a newer firmware version number 1.12.8.

Is there going to be a new firmware for Mentor soon?
lilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

French, thanks! I'm hoping to get out to Car Toys tomorrow to have a look at them! I have a relatively small purse, but seeing it in person will give me an idea if it will fit in my purse, or if I'll have to eventually buy a bigger purse.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
erosco
Enthusiast
erosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Robert, are you only considering 6" and 9" models with keyboards? The a9t is much more appealing to me.. I've never much gone on an ereader needing a keyboard.. netbook - yes, ereader - no...
erosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
ssophon
Enthusiast
ssophon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Robert,

I wish the new one would also support Thai language, or least have a plan to support, as well since I saw the existing EZ reader already have.

I am exciting about the 9" device which should be the thing I am looking for. I need a big screen so I can carry a lot of my PDF documents on the device.

Hopefully I can see the product in the market soon.
ssophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
I can attest to the fact that the pocket pro does indeed fit very well in a purse. While there are things to admire in the Kindle and Nook, at the end of the day I LOVE the form factor of my Pocket Pro so much I am willing to overlook some of the nicer features on the Kindle and Nook (mainly OTA downloading of books).

I find myself reading a lot more now with consistency because I always have my Pocket Pro with me. And it's so light (and especially in comparison to the Kindle and Nook). All in all I am very pleased with my purchase of the Pocket Pro. I hope you get to see one in person soon...the form factor is fabulous.
Ditto to everything French said!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Robertb

Planning Both!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosco View Post
Robert, are you only considering 6" and 9" models with keyboards? The a9t is much more appealing to me.. I've never much gone on an ereader needing a keyboard.. netbook - yes, ereader - no...
Dear erosco:

Actually we are looking seriously at both with keyboard and without in both sizes. We realize that a keyboard on an eBook Reader seems to add to the cost and the length... and not all will want that!!

Thank you for this question!!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Robertb

Thank you 93terp and French!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Ditto to everything French said!
Dear 93terp and French:

Thank you for helping others on the benefits and form factor of the Pocket PRO. Coming from other members is always better than coming from me. I am grateful that you posted!!