Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
tdub4
tdub4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Newbie needs help for specific book...

My wife received the Sony PRS-600 for Christmas and now I am trying to figure out how to get books on this thing. The Sony Library looks easy enough (although I have not downloaded anything yet) but she is wanting a specific book...Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz. It is not listed on the Sony Store website, but I see it for the Kindle on Amazon. And according to the site ebookprice.info it is available for the PC and Mac on mobipocket. Is it just a case it isnt available for the Sony in a format it supports or is it possible to convert one of these to the Sony format? Are some books only created for a few readers?

This seems like it should be straight forward but it is beginning to frustrate me!!
tdub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The sad story is you would have to buy it, strip the DRM off it, and then convert it. All the formats are a problem, but the DRM is the real killer. If it was not for the DRM then you could simply run them through Calibre and convert to whatever you like. But, you cannot convert a DRM book. Welcome to the Digital Rights Management nightmare....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, tdub4, and to the wonderful world of e-book formats...........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
An option is this. We are limited to what we can say about this subject on these forums, but perhaps this can help you. If you do an internet search for the term "MobiDeDRM007" you will discover there is a Calibre plug-in that can liberate the mobipocket format from it's DRM. Then Calibre can convert the book to epub and then read on her reader.

Calibre is free (and so is the plugin) and a wonderful ebook library program, and once all is set up it is very easy to use. Anyway, I am one of those Rogues that believe you should be able to buy and read what you want on your reader.....

I wanted to add that once the plugin is installed, you never actually run it. Instead when you convert a mobipocket book to say epub, it automatically removes the DRM and converts.....very easy to use once it is set up.

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 01-04-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote