Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
tuomas
tuomas began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Red face tried to demo a nook...

Well, I schlepped off to my local B&N tonight to try out the nook. It wasn't a very successful expedition. The nook (actually they had two units that I saw, one of which refused to start up) was slow to the point of not being usable. there was an extreme lag on every tap of the LCD touchscreen. Once a book was brought up the unit seemed to function just fine. Pages turns were fast.

The staff claimed (and I have no reason to not believe them) that the nooks were working fine earlier in the day and the day before. They said that they may have been having issues with the in store wi-fi. But unless the nook was trying to download something I don't know why it would have caused such unresponsiveness.

I have a nook on pre-order, and I'm keeping it. I just hope that a firmware upgrade address these reports of sluggishness. The unit I was using doesn't seem representative of other demo units. So now, I'm just watching my in box for a shipping notice!

Last edited by tuomas; 12-08-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
"tired to demo a nook... "

I love this thread title. I've heard that some have fallen asleep waiting for the device to respond.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
tuomas
tuomas began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Yeah, I am tired, and I tried to correct the title...
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomas View Post
Yeah, I am tired, and I tried to correct the title...
NP, I fixed the type for you. Looking forward to hearing about your first hands-on experience once the shipping arrives!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I fixed the type for you.

Who'll fix yours?
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, this thread got off to a good start!

I wonder if the Nook has the same sort of WiFi issues that the tOuch has. Sometimes, my tOuch just sits there forever, burning up battery time while trying to figure out the WiFi signal. Other times, it blazes along. I have never been able to figure that out.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The nook I tried today in California also had wi-fi issues with the LCD screen. It brought up browsed and searched for books just fine but the cover flow never worked. Interesting.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote