Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Post Calibre: Small Windows 7 Beta Quirks

Just thought I would post some things I've noticed about Calibre running on Windows 7 Beta. Over all the program runs flawlessly on Windows 7. There was only a minor "first run" loading issue that arose.

The following crash occurred only during the initial run when trying to import a previously created/migrated database; Calibre crashed if and only if you pointed Calibre to a previously created Calibre database. To resolve this issue I allowed Calibre to create a "new" database on its first-run in the default folder. I ran Calibre for the first time with all its virgin settings. After this first-run, I made sure to exit Calibre completely. Then I was able to replace the database with my preferred database.

The only other quirk I found with Windows 7 Beta and Calibre was a rather inconsequential UI bug. Though, for some that have motor or visual impairment it may be troublesome. Here's a screenshot that should show the issue more clearly:

Thanks again for all the incredible effort in creating Calibre. It has brought sanity to my digital reading world.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The arrow bug is a bug in the underlying graphics toolkit calibre uses. I expect it will get fixed eventually, once Windows 7 is released.

As for the crash, do you have a stack trace? you can get one by starting calibre with

Code:
calibre-debug -g
from a console.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

From the command prompt I'm receiving:

Code:
link   hasn't been detected!
link   hasn't been detected!
Perhaps I need to reduplicate the error? I'm assuming yes.

Once my relatives leave later this evening I will reduplicate the crash and get you the proper information.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah you have to duplicate the error. The link not found messages are normal and can be ignored
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Abisha
Connoisseur

Okay, here's what I get. This should be what we are looking for.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Calibre>calibre-debug -g
link  hasn't been detected!
link  hasn't been detected!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "debug.py", line 105, in <module>
  File "debug.py", line 83, in main
  File "C:\Program Files\Calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1595, i
n main
  File "C:\Program Files\Calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 318, in
 __init__
  File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 1288, in migrate_old
  File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 106, in run
sqlite3.IntegrityError: PRIMARY KEY must be unique
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was:

C:\Program Files\Calibre>
If there is anything at all I can do to help with any further Windows 7 debugging please let me know. -Abisha

P.S. I'm a student of linguistics, and I've just recently undertaken the task of learning a programming language to enable myself to author my own computer language tools. After much research I chose Python. If there are some tasks that I could help you with, I would be happy to do so. There's no better way to reinforce what you've learned than to put it into use.

Last edited by Abisha; 01-18-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks, that helps.