Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hacking the 505 for 1.1.00.18040

Do the current hack(s) for the 505 under the original firmware work under the new 1.1.00.18040 version firmware or do they cause some issues with any of the changes/new features?

If they do not work, has anybody any information on getting them to actually work or making new ones that will work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Give poor igorsk a day or two, JSWolf.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Give poor igorsk a day or two, JSWolf.
I'm hoping for a hack builder for the 505 maybe next week sometime.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Unicode font support? Please? I haven't yet updated my Reader, because if the unicode patch won't work with the new firmware, I'd rather keep the old firmware.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Basically, any hack made prior to fiirmware version 1.1.00.18040 should be taken as dangerous as there have been changes to some of the XML files. The hacks will be using different XML files and these older XML files will cause problems.
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Unicode font support? Please? I haven't yet updated my Reader, because if the unicode patch won't work with the new firmware, I'd rather keep the old firmware.
If you are talking about the font support without flashing, it is going to work as is (there is no XML file modification involved in that, and the auto-run thankfully still works, so this hack is safe and will work in the 1.1.00.18040 without any changes). So should all the JS hacks (Sudoku, Dictionary, File Manager, etc)

The hacks requiring XML file mod (i.e. the clock) have to be taken cautiously as the XML files all changed, albeit just a little bit, in this new version of FW. But some diffing and merging will still be required.

The previous generation of "hacks" was all ready-built images, installing them will downgrade your FW back to the previous release. The new ready-built images will have to be made, or, better yet, the Hack Builder will need to be updated to create 1.1.00.18040 images for the Universal Flasher.

Last edited by porkupan; 07-24-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: some grammar, some afterthought
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
I've tried creating a new image with the chinese unicode fonts. Apparently the process keeps crashing and rebooting the reader.
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
If you are talking about the font support without flashing, it is going to work as is (there is no XML file modification involved in that, and the auto-run thankfully still works, so this hack is safe and will work in the 1.1.00.18040 without any changes). So should all the JS hacks (Sudoku, Dictionary, File Manager, etc)
<snip>
Good to know. I'm hoping there will be a hack to eventually flash the firmware and replace the font altogether. The unicode patch as is is a godsend, BUT it does mean i have to reset and lose all my pages each time I upload new books to the Reader. Not a very arduous process, but it would be nice to never have to do that again.. until the next firmware, anyways. Away with spindly times new roman for good. (i like TNR.. not just on e-ink screens at like size 8.)
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
My simple hack wishlist forthe new 505 fw:

Clock
Uniform menu font
New icons
Cyrillic fonts
(maybe) lower right button for next/prev page

I'll be patient tho. I'm sure someone's having fun playing with the new flasher and checking out the firmware file! The new pdf support is very nice.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
zemj
zemj began at the beginning.

Device: 2 PRS-505,some PDAs
There is new patch ...

1) I tried UniFlasher 2.0 to flash new "russian" firmware ... first I flahed my PRS505 with official flasher to version 1.1.00.18040. Than I found on the-ebook.com the patch with clock, joystick and fonts (,but original not localized menu) ... than I copied UniFlash2 on SD card and add new_opt.img ... started my reader and first clicked on 4 ... it writes that it copied it correctly, than I clicked on 6 and error come, that something "/tmp/... not found".
2) So I used "old" flasher from "hack3.zip" file and added new new_opt.img ---> my PRS-505 flashed correctly and works fine

Now I have new firm with clocks, font(czech font supported) ... see attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS505_new.JPG
Views:	905
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	14682  
Attached Files
File Type: zip sd.zip (6.33 MB, 716 views)

Last edited by zemj; 07-26-2008 at 02:08 PM.
zemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

zemj, if the hacks you just applied were not created under firmware version 1.1.00.18040, what you have done is caused your reader to have incorrect XML files which will either cause you to lose some oof the new features or have them no work correctly.

Try the following, go to a book's menu. Then go to Utilities. If you do not see Delete Book, then you've just screwed things up and will need to reapply the firmware.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if the hacks you just applied were not created under firmware version 1.1.00.18040, what you have done is caused your reader to have incorrect XML files which will either cause you to lose some oof the new features or have them no work correctly.
The images referenced on the forum the-ebook.org have been created under FW v. 1.1.00.18040. In fact, the images in the beginning of the head topic message were included just yesterday night, updated for the latest FW version. I am not sure where zemj got his image, but if he took one of the latest images (Russian/East European font support+new icons+clock+joystick+uniform headers), those have been properly updated for the latest FW version.

Last edited by porkupan; 07-26-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: English
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The hack feature I miss most is the one button "off" feature.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
zemj
zemj began at the beginning.

Device: 2 PRS-505,some PDAs
@JSWOLF: porkupan is right, as I wrote it is from the-ebook.com and I have in menu "deleting" ... see the screen, there you can see number of version and down there string "clock on" (this is verrification of new firm with right patch), this is photo of my PRS-505
zemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #15
fifteenjugglers
fifteenjugglers doesn't litterfifteenjugglers doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I just flashed the new icons, clock and unified font image from e-book.org. All else appears well. Thanks for all your work.

cheers

15j

Last edited by fifteenjugglers; 07-27-2008 at 06:39 AM.
fifteenjugglers is offline   Reply With Quote