Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
tasoskaf
tasoskaf began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 505
Greek on Sony PRS 505 reader

Hi i just ordered my sony PRS 505 reader and i would like to know if it supports the greek language.thank you in advance!
tasoskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only by embedding fonts in a PDF or LRF file, which quite drastically slows down page turns.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
tasoskaf

And how exactly is this done??
when you say drastically slows down page turns how much time is this??Do i have to wait long??(thanks for your help!)
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any of the LRF or PDF creation tools allow you to embed fonts in a document.

It slows down page turns from about half a second to about 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
tasoskaf

1-2 secs is acceptable.thanks
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Actually, the three original fonts, the ones that came with the Reader, do include Greek Unicode character set (no special characters though). The fonts from the Russified firmwares don't.

porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But do they include things like the Greek punctuation? Or does modern Greek no longer use the punctuation of Attic Greek? Forgive my ignorance - I read Attic Greek but not modern Greek, and I'm not at all sure what's changed, other than the fact that (I believe) that modern Greek doesn't use accents (?).
Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you are correct - those default fonts probably don't include the accents (you can see that accented Greek characters are grayed out). I don't know anything about the special Greek punctuation, so I cannot even tell (my knowledge of Greek expends to mere familiarity with Greek alphabet from the math classes in a Soviet school ). If the accents and/or special punctuation are a must for a modern Greek reader, one should read PDF, or LRF with embedded fonts (or "picture" LRFs converted from other formats by PDFLRF - then you will not have any paging delays, and you can read in any written language known or unknown to man, but the resulting LRF files will be larger by far).

Last edited by porkupan; 05-05-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: PDFLRF needs a mention
Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
tasoskaf

We don`t use punctuation in modern Greek but we do use accents when writing in lowercase.so it might be a problem...?
i will have to use the embedded fonts to see it right.
ps. where can i find the fonts?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasoskaf View Post
ps. where can i find the fonts?
You can embed standard windows fonts (Times, Arial, etc.), I believe.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
After 300-400 pages it is going to be 4-5 seconds and more for page turns.
I would avoid embeded fonts at all costs.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I am not familiar with Greek fonts, but if you find a unicode fonts with all relevant Greek letters, you can load the font using the following method.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644
If this method works, you can read unicode txt/rtf/lrf without slow down in page turns.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
I've made dozens of PDF (and one or two LRF) files with embedded fonts for the Sony Reader. The typical page turn time is about 1 second--an appreciable increase over the approximately half-second page turn time of an LRF file without embedded fonts, but one that I find to be negligible in practice. And the page turn time does not increase noticeably with the number of page turns, in my experience.
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
tasoskaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
I am not familiar with Greek fonts, but if you find a unicode fonts with all relevant Greek letters, you can load the font using the following method.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644
If this method works, you can read unicode txt/rtf/lrf without slow down in page turns.
Thanks I tried it and it works fine!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasoskaf View Post
Thanks I tried it and it works fine!!!!!!
Glad to hear that. Hope you enjoy your PRS-505 like many other users here
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote