Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
Light differences

I compared my reader to two other devices and both of them had a slightly dull, yellowish light. Mine on the other hand is brighter and somewhat blue. Is that a newer/older model?
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
fish99
fish99 is on a distinguished road

Device: Touch&Glo
Did you check the brightness settings were the same? Some people say the Glo light becomes more blue as you turn it up.
fish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
Yep, all three were at the max brightness. Mine's blue on every brightness setting.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
luigizanotti
luigizanotti began at the beginning.

Device: 2x Kobo Glo, Kindle PaperWhite, Sony PRS-T1
I own two GLOs, one from the first wave to reach Italy and the second bought after Mondadori sold them out and had to restock.

Here are some comparisons from the italian forum about Japan where I am mod (let me save some time by linking). Scroll down.

Yes, with the same firmware and the same slider setting, the older model has bluer lights which are also more powerful while the second one, apart from the mondadori personalization, have yellower lights which are also less powerful.
luigizanotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
probably manufacturing batch variances. Those are comon with LEDs.. That said, the new one in your pic looks more like a Paperwhite,, which would be a good thing, I think. The Blue Kobos were a little harsh, and it was hard under most normal lighting to get them to look natural.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
luigizanotti

As for the intensity of the light, yes, the secod batch Kobo is indeed on a par with the PaperWhite, and that is absolutely no problem. The Kobo with blue light has very powerful LEDs and I never went above the first third of the slider for the light anyway.

The real issue here is the sickly yellow of the LEDs of the second batch which needs some getting-used-to and, unfortunately, the camera (a Canon A4000IS) doesn't really get the chromatic difference for a question of ISOs. Having a white light LED was so difficult, anyway? Alas, I have to say that I find the yellow lighting somewhat more relaxing.

Last edited by luigizanotti; 02-20-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Vox
Is there any way to determine which Glos have which lighting? By serial numbers or manufacture date perhaps?
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
My first run Glo had very bright white/tad blue lighting. It broke and I've got a replacement that didn't go as bright and was more yellowish light-wise. I bought another for my wife and that one was more blue and a tad brighter than the yellowish one but neither were as bright as the original run one I had.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
When doing research to decide what ereader to buy, there were a lot of complaints from both users and reviewers that the Glo light was too bright at both the top and bottom end, and too blue, so I'm not surprised they tweaked it.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
luigizanotti

Neither am I: buyers kept complaining so most probably Kobo took measures to make them happy. Unfortunately, you may happen to get a very yellow lighting on your Kobo.

Personally my first Kobo's light is way too powerful. To read confortably I have to stick to the lower half of the slider, problem which isn't present with my second unit. I mean: in a dark room I actually use my first Kodo as a Lamp to get some light and try not to trip into anything, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Is there any way to determine which Glos have which lighting? By serial numbers or manufacture date perhaps?
None that I know or noticed.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
If someone could post an easy way to find out the serial and manufacturing date of our Glo's, maybe we could all chime in with our Glo's information and whether or not we think we have the bright blue or dimmer yellow lighting. Of course there is no way to know this for sure without one of each type of device to compare side by side, but it might be interesting to see if a trend seems to develop according to which GLOs seem to have which types of lights in spite of that anyway. Never know what we might find out. Then again, I am new around here, feel free to laugh. :P
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The serial number is on the "Device information" page of the Settings. The manufacturing date might be inside the case somewhere. I happen to have the box for mine near me. The sticker on the back has the serial number with an extra "-B". Plus it has a product number. This is "N613-KBO-B". The serial number starts "613B2B".

I should have said, this was purchased in Australia in mid-December. The light is probably bluish, but I don't notice it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Mine was purchased in Australia as soon as they came out (was it December?) from Officeworks. I believe it's on the blue side, though when turned down I think it's more of a very slight blue-greenish tint. Serial number starts same as davidfor's, and all other details are the same too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Mine was purchased online from Powells.com which is based in Oregon in the United States. I believe it shipped from there as well. Bought in the beginning of this month (Feb '13)

My serial number starts with 613A2A

Product number N613-KBO-B

I don't know the manufacturing date.

I believe my Glo's light is of the bright blue variety.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
luigizanotti

Kobo, first batch for the italian market, bluish light, very powerful LEDs

Serial Number starts: 613A2
IC: 8857A-KBN613
Model: N613

I don't have the box for this device anymore so I have no idea where to get the P/N. Sorry. It was Bought, let me think... november 2012? Possible? It was one of the very first batch.

This weekend I get home and take the data for the Kobo with the yellowish light.