Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Llandamaar
Llandamaar began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom Tablet
Looking for something like this....

I only listen to audiobooks these days.
I have a small child and 2 jobs to fulfil so have no time to sit with a book but have previously read the Age of Misrule series by Mark Chadbourne and loved it.
Having had a look around I am having trouble finding anything similar to these books, just something with people from our (real) world facing off against the fantastic?
I really enjoyed the Monster Hunter International audios but can't really find anything else like this sort of genre?
Any suggestions very appreciated.
Llandamaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It may be a bit too much magic for your tastes but I can recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The audiobooks are very well performed by James Marsters (well the ones after the first one are, that one is still a bit uneven).

They're written in a first person perspective and the protagonist is a Wizard (a real one, no magic tricks) who works as a private detective in Chicago.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Have you tried Larry Correia's other works, "The Grimnoir Chronicles"? Bit of magic involved as well, but the style is similar, obviously. And I second "The Dresden Files" audiobooks, I think you'd like them as I also enjoyed the "MHI" series.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Llandamaar

Thanks for the suggestions so far
I did try the Grimoir Chronicles and managed to get 3/4 way through Hard Magic before I quit, I really really didn't like it which is a shame as MHI blew me away!
I am just listening to a little bit of E.E Knight's Vampire Earth and will go onto Book 1 of Dresden Files .
On paper it didn't appeal to me but listening to Marsters oration on the Audible previews sucked me in.
Will see what other suggestions come about as I travel a lot to and from work so listed to 5 hours of book a day and tend to chew through series in a week or two
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I am a fan of the Monster Hunters International series and loved the audio books.
I am also a fan of the Dresden Files series and love the audio book.

I recommend the audio book series for Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Llandamaar

On book 3 of Dresden Files now and really enjoying them so thank you all for the suggestion!