Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #76
RitaPita
RitaPita began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePaperWhite
This totally confirms my theory about Amazon sending out refurbished kindles as replacements even though Amazon CS all deny it! I just received my 4th replacement Kindle, and it is just as bad as the last replacement i received. I think based on all the discussions from this thread, my best bet will be to give up on the replacements, and just return my Kindle paper white. Order a brand new one in a few months so I wont' keep getting defective refurbished KPWs
RitaPita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #77
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes, they do, but no quick start guide. At least mine didn't.
Hmm, a bit strange that they would go through the trouble of making replacement boxes that are identical except for a slip of paper that probably costs like 1c. It's not like they have a fancy retail display box vs a plain box.

I had a defective kindle that was replaced under warranty. It definitely was refurb and it came with a USB cable. I have about three extra kindle usb cables lying around. Only one charger however

Alas, none of this is conclusive of anything.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #78
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Yes, they do, but no quick start guide. At least mine didn't.
The boxes with an R that I have here came with cables and the quick start guide. Could it be that the missing quick start guides are just another example of sloppy QC?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #79
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaPita View Post
This totally confirms my theory about Amazon sending out refurbished kindles as replacements even though Amazon CS all deny it! I just received my 4th replacement Kindle, and it is just as bad as the last replacement i received. I think based on all the discussions from this thread, my best bet will be to give up on the replacements, and just return my Kindle paper white. Order a brand new one in a few months so I wont' keep getting defective refurbished KPWs
Sigh. If only it were that easy for me to wait a few more months. I am so in love with everything about it apart from the screen defects.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #80
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
I got my first replacement yesterday, it had an R on the box with no quick start guide. It also had a smudge on the screen. This one was worse than my first.

I chatted with CS and told them that I knew it wasn't a new one, he said he was sorry and he made a note on my account to make sure the next replacement was new. On my order details page for this one it says "Condition: New". I went back to look at the last replacement details and it doesn't list condition.

This just confirms that Amazon is foolishly sending out Kindles that were returned as replacements.

Sad.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #81
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejimmy View Post
I got my first replacement yesterday, it had an R on the box with no quick start guide. It also had a smudge on the screen. This one was worse than my first.

I chatted with CS and told them that I knew it wasn't a new one, he said he was sorry and he made a note on my account to make sure the next replacement was new. On my order details page for this one it says "Condition: New". I went back to look at the last replacement details and it doesn't list condition.

This just confirms that Amazon is foolishly sending out Kindles that were returned as replacements.

Sad.
Ugh just awful. I went back and looked at my previous Kindle order (the one I know wasn't new) and like yours it doesn't list the condition. Same for the replacement before it. The one that is on the way to me now does list the condition as "new" thankfully.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #82
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just checked the invoices for my three orders:
  • Original PW order: Condition NEW
  • Replacement 1: no condition listed
  • Replacement 2: no condition listed
Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #83
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
None of my three replacements had conditions listed, either.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #84
xendula
eBookworm

Out of the 6 replacements I received,

5 say nothing about condition
1 says new

The two coming my way say new.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #85
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
My original said new all replacements did not state condition. I'm sure if it states new chances are pretty good at getting a good screen unfortunately I think replacements where sorted per condition and sent back out being they were/are low on stock of new units. I have a pure hatred for dishonest deceptive practices. If you ordered a new one and required a replacement due to it being defective a new unit should of been its replacement not another crappy screen. I think the Kindle 4 is priceless if one enjoys reading. This Paper White fiasco has been a nightmare !!

Last edited by tmf2; 10-27-2012 at 09:14 PM.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #86
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Hmm.. that's surprising they would admit they are sending out refurbs because they have no new units to send. I was suspicious they were sending me someone else's returned unit for my replacement, but CS insisted it was a new unit. Either scenario is obviously very disreputable behavior, if it's true.
I talked to CS about an issue I'm having with my PW (battery meter wasn't showing completely full after charging) and they said they would replace it. I too have been following this thread so I asked them whether they were sending me a refurb unit or brand new. I told them I didn't want someone else's recycled problem Kindle. They "guaranteed" it was a new unit, not refurb. Oddly enough, the replacement PW is on its way & should be here Friday.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #87
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I talked to CS about an issue I'm having with my PW (battery meter wasn't showing completely full after charging) and they said they would replace it. I too have been following this thread so I asked them whether they were sending me a refurb unit or brand new. I told them I didn't want someone else's recycled problem Kindle. They "guaranteed" it was a new unit, not refurb. Oddly enough, the replacement PW is on its way & should be here Friday.
what is odd about it? the fact that they shipped it so fast?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #88
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
That definitely means something.

Quote:
Here's what my box looked like:

I looked at the boxes for my PW and KFHD7-32 and neither had that "R". It looks like it may mean it is a replacement.

Best bet, just return the defective unit for a refund covering shipping to and from Amazon by indicating on the order page it was defective.

Then order a brand new PW which will not have that "R". You may have to wait awhile fpr delivery, but remember, "haste makes waste."
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #89
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery meter inaccurate at first

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
My bettery meter for the PW was also very inaccurate at first. After 2 cycles taking it down to near empty the meter started working correctly.

Take it down at least once to the screen showing icons for a large battery, a wire and a lightning bolt for power. That should train the battery meter to work correctly.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #90
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
what is odd about it? the fact that they shipped it so fast?
I figured with the 5-7 week backlog that it would be a while before they could ship a replacement. I have seen postings with other people being told that their replacements would ship in line with Amazon's posted backlog.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote