Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #106
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Davidfor: If you're lurking, any way to add a warning in if someone has selected the series info, and when the sync is done the device is not at the correct version?
Off the top of my head no. But, I'll be spending some time on the driver this week, so I will have a look. At the least, I'll add the minimum firmware version into the tooltip.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #107
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
David; just had a thought of a possible "enhancement" to the driver.

After books have been sent to the device, on the next reconnect, adjust the date of newly added books so they are set back a few days, so that the front matrix of books and the recently read list show what was being read, as opposed to newly added books.

I'm not sure which date field the matrix is based on.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #108
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An interesting idea. And it triggered some other thoughts. I'll number the ideas for reference.

1) As you suggested, set the sync date on the next connection.

The sync date could be used for that and I have played with it to prove that what you suggest will work. I don't like the need to do it on the next connect. But, I suppose that is simply, disconnect, but I already reconnect to do the series info. The timestamps will all be in a small range, so that makes them easy to find and adjust. Maybe instead of changing by a day, adjust to be a few seconds before the fifth most recently read and still open book.

2) An alternative is playing with the last read dates. When sending books, these could be set to a few minutes in the future for the five most recently read books. That way, when the disconnect and processing occurs, their timestamps will still be later than the new books. Again, I have tested that this works. But, there a problem with this.

Say I set the five books on the home screen to 60 minutes in the future. Then I disconnect and let the processing happen. The books on the home screen will be unchanged. If I open the first book, read for ten minutes and return the home screen, the book I was reading will be in the last place on the home screen.

So, exactly how far ahead is a problem. Five minutes will probably be enough in most cases, but I don't always disconnect immediately after putting books on the device. I think it has to be at least 10 minutes.

3) Actually, if I limit this to just the first book on the home page, this would work very well. And doesn't matter how far in the future the timestamp is set.

4) Of course, there is a more complicated version that settles an argument I have had about how the home screen is populated. Adjust the timestamps but only for books that have been opened "recently". With this, for people who swap between books regularly, these books will stay on the home screen. But for people who only read a book at a time, the ones they opened decided not to read yet, will be replaced by newly opened books. Of course, defining "recently" will be the problem.

What does you think?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #109
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see option 2 being a challenge; if you move the books last read dates forward I presume this would only happen on a sync. Now I sync a second set of books; would those 5 books be moved forward a second time or ?

I think adjusting last read time COULD have major impact for Kobo format ePubs when their stats get synced to Kobo, and on to other Kobo devices.

I think option 1 sounds the safest, and has the least impact on other devices.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #110
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I see option 2 being a challenge; if you move the books last read dates forward I presume this would only happen on a sync. Now I sync a second set of books; would those 5 books be moved forward a second time or ?
Yes. At send time, move the home page books five minutes into the future. If I send another set of books, the the home screen books need to be pushed forward again. The object is to get their timestamps to be higher than the timestamp for the new books. Ideally the time would be set when disconnecting the device, but there isn't a way to do that in calibre.

Quote:
I think adjusting last read time COULD have major impact for Kobo format ePubs when their stats get synced to Kobo, and on to other Kobo devices.
I did ignore syncing to the Kobo server. For some reason I don't want to think about kepubs today.

There is a problem either way. Moving the sync time of a kepub back could cause the book to be synced again.

I don't think fiddling with the last read date will affect the reading stats on the current device. This seems to be stored in the Event table. I believe it is updated per reading session. The time spent and pages turned are updated when the book is closed. The Kobo sync is a problem. I would be most worried if the kepub was being read on the other device at the time the calibre sync was done.

Sounds like some experiments are needed.
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #111
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi everyone.

I am having a severe problem with using calibre 0.9.19 with my Kobo Touch (FW Versions 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.4.0) using driver version 2.0.5. I haven't found any reference to this issue though, so I suppose the problem might be somewhat unique to my configuration.

What happens is quite simple: If I use Calibre to update/modify anything on the kobo, the database get's shot. Usually, this is not really obvious, as the books are being loaded onto the Kobo correctly.

However after some time the KT starts getting "weird", as in for example not being able to delete books, no series information being visible anymore or even books not being opened.

In all cases after connecting the KT to calibre and uploading/modifying books, the database is being corrupted. Running
Code:
.pragma integrity_check;
always fails with multiple errors.

The KT database version is 69. I suppose this might be the cause of the problem, as the driver documentation says something about being able to support versions "up to 75".

Settings for the driver are:
  • Read Metadata from files on device.
  • Use subdirectories.
  • Set series information.
  • Attempt to support newer firmware.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

Kind Regards,

ichrispa
ichrispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #112
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The usual reason for the database getting corrupted is not ejecting the device correctly. If you are doing that each time, there shouldn't be a problem. How are you ejecting? From calibre or from the OS?

How often do you need to connect to calibre for this to happen? Do the problems start appearing as soon as the device restarts after the connection, or does it take a while? And what happens the next time you connect? Do you use the Kobo desktop app at all? Have you had any hangs in the device?

After this happens, what are you doing to fix it? Are you logging out on the device, or doing a factory reset? The logout should be all that is needed as it replaces the database on the device with a new one. If it continuously happens, a factory reset would be the way to go and see what happens afterwards.

It is possible there is a file system problem. Try doing a scandisk when it next happens. If you are using Windows, it should prompt you if there is an issue, but sometimes it doesn't.

The driver options shouldn't be a problem. But, uncheck the "Attempt to support newer firmware". I am keeping the driver up to date, but if Kobo slip an update in when I'm not looking, having this on could cause a problem.

The DBVersion is OK. The code checks this and changes what it will do based on the different DBVersions.

The next time this happens, can you send me the devices database? When you see problems on the device, connect without calibre running and take a copy of the database. Send me a PM to get an address to send it to or a link that I can download it from. From the errors in the database, I might be able to see what is happening.

That probably isn't much help. But, I can't think of anything else at the moment. If I think of something else, I will tell you.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #113
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Hi davidfor, thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The usual reason for the database getting corrupted is not ejecting the device correctly. If you are doing that each time, there shouldn't be a problem. How are you ejecting? From calibre or from the OS?
I am usually ejecting from calibre, then verifying it from the OS. In any case, Linux does confirm that the drive is unmounted before I pull the plug.

Quote:
How often do you need to connect to calibre for this to happen? Do the problems start appearing as soon as the device restarts after the connection, or does it take a while? And what happens the next time you connect? Do you use the Kobo desktop app at all? Have you had any hangs in the device?
I need to connect to calibre once before this happens. Any modification of the onboard database will cause this error. The error exists immediately after disconnecting (verified by transferring the database via FTP and examining it with sqlite and by examining the onboard partition without calibre enabled). The next time I connect the device to calibre the driver cannot load the metadata and complains that the database is corrupted.

No filesystem errors are present; the error is limited to the database contents.

I do not use the Desktop App (I don't have any purchased kepubs).

No hangs on the device, except if the corrupted database is used.

Quote:
After this happens, what are you doing to fix it? Are you logging out on the device, or doing a factory reset? The logout should be all that is needed as it replaces the database on the device with a new one. If it continuously happens, a factory reset would be the way to go and see what happens afterwards.
My kobo creates a backup of the database each day (first boot). I simply log in via telnet, cp the backup to the original and reboot. After that, the problem is fixed.

I cannot really logout, as I am "logged in" as foo@bar I'm really no fan of the kobo connectivity features.

Quote:
It is possible there is a file system problem. Try doing a scandisk when it next happens. If you are using Windows, it should prompt you if there is an issue, but sometimes it doesn't.
No, it is definetely not a filesystem error (fsck -t vfat). The error is limited to the format of the database.

Quote:
The driver options shouldn't be a problem. But, uncheck the "Attempt to support newer firmware". I am keeping the driver up to date, but if Kobo slip an update in when I'm not looking, having this on could cause a problem.

The DBVersion is OK. The code checks this and changes what it will do based on the different DBVersions.

The next time this happens, can you send me the devices database? When you see problems on the device, connect without calibre running and take a copy of the database. Send me a PM to get an address to send it to or a link that I can download it from. From the errors in the database, I might be able to see what is happening.
I can reproduce the error at any time without any real harm, so of course I can send you a copy of the database. Won't be before the next sunday though, as my girlfriend kidnapped the KT for a fieldtrip.

Quote:
That probably isn't much help. But, I can't think of anything else at the moment. If I think of something else, I will tell you.
I have another thought to offer, but this is rather speculative. I did try to manually set series information (as in "UPDATE content SET Series="blah",SeriesNumer="1" where...") some time ago. This was before I updated my calibre from version 5something to 9.19 and I had not even heard of your driver yet. I vaguely remember that after that, something was wrong with the database and that caused me to create the backup script in the first place. So it may be that the series information causes nickel to corrupt the database itself. Of course that would mean that simply disabling the "Set Series information" option in the driver would also fix the problem... I will test that hypothesis in a week and report the results.

Thank you non the less for your help davidfor. Altogether i would like to point out that I really appreciate your work on this driver and you have done a great job. I just have a nag for producing weird errors.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #114
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrispa View Post
Hi davidfor, thanks for the response.
No problems and thanks for the detailed response.
Quote:
I am usually ejecting from calibre, then verifying it from the OS. In any case, Linux does confirm that the drive is unmounted before I pull the plug.

I need to connect to calibre once before this happens. Any modification of the onboard database will cause this error. The error exists immediately after disconnecting (verified by transferring the database via FTP and examining it with sqlite and by examining the onboard partition without calibre enabled). The next time I connect the device to calibre the driver cannot load the metadata and complains that the database is corrupted.
Have you done a check of the database before starting calibre? And have you checked the database before ejecting? Close calibre, check if the database is OK and then eject manually.
Quote:
My kobo creates a backup of the database each day (first boot). I simply log in via telnet, cp the backup to the original and reboot. After that, the problem is fixed.
Have you checked the backup at all?

Are you manually powering off or letting it sleep and auto power off?
Quote:
I cannot really logout, as I am "logged in" as foo@bar I'm really no fan of the kobo connectivity features.
I can understand that. But the shop is convenient and generally cheaper than elsewhere when combined with promo codes. The logout removes the current database and creates a new empty database. That will reset everything and see if adding the books or calibre breaks it.
Quote:
I can reproduce the error at any time without any real harm, so of course I can send you a copy of the database. Won't be before the next sunday though, as my girlfriend kidnapped the KT for a fieldtrip.
OK. The good thing about that is you know what to buy her for a present

I'd like a before and after database if possible.
Quote:
I have another thought to offer, but this is rather speculative. I did try to manually set series information (as in "UPDATE content SET Series="blah",SeriesNumer="1" where...") some time ago. This was before I updated my calibre from version 5something to 9.19 and I had not even heard of your driver yet. I vaguely remember that after that, something was wrong with the database and that caused me to create the backup script in the first place. So it may be that the series information causes nickel to corrupt the database itself. Of course that would mean that simply disabling the "Set Series information" option in the driver would also fix the problem... I will test that hypothesis in a week and report the results.
It shouldn't be a problem. That is all the driver does when the series option is selected. And turning the option off will check. If it still breaks, also change the "Metadata management" option on the "Sending books to devices" page to manual.
Quote:

Thank you non the less for your help davidfor. Altogether i would like to point out that I really appreciate your work on this driver and you have done a great job. I just have a nag for producing weird errors.
Thanks. Hopefully we can sort out what is happening.

A later thought: Do you know which version of the Touch it is? The older ones have the internal memory attached to the PCB. The newer ones use a micro SD card that can be removed. And how did you upgrade the firmware?

Last edited by davidfor; 02-24-2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added device version question
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #115
ichrispa
Enthusiast

Hello again davidfor,

I will answer most of your questions in the coming week. I know for example that the backups are "clean", but I have indeed not tested the database after changing it with calibre but before ejecting it... i'd rather give you a complete answer after running some tests.

One thing I can answer straight away though:

Quote:
A later thought: Do you know which version of the Touch it is? The older ones have the internal memory attached to the PCB. The newer ones use a micro SD card that can be removed. And how did you upgrade the firmware?
I have a Kobo Touch N902C, which is the newest version as far as I know. The Firmware used in this version is identical to that used in the Kobo Glo. It uses a mini SD Card on the PCB. I can give you the precise PCB version from the hwinfo startup script once I get my hands on the device

I upgrade manually (as in download zip, unzip/copy to .kobo, reboot, rehack). In Germany, I still get firmware version 2.3.1 when upgrading - which in my opinion is a very buggy version. After having ruined my KT once using wrong firmware, I got to understand that my KT is new enough to be using the Glo firmware (which still does not make the KT light up in the dark... I ought to write customer support about that ).

Edit: Could it be possible that the Desktop App "upgrades" the database structure next to the firmware itself? This could be a simple issue of the database version not being usable by nickel because it expects another db scheme?

Cheers,

ichrispa

Last edited by ichrispa; 02-24-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #116
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrispa View Post
I will answer most of your questions in the coming week. I know for example that the backups are "clean", but I have indeed not tested the database after changing it with calibre but before ejecting it... i'd rather give you a complete answer after running some tests.
Sounds good. I'll look for the results next week.
Quote:
I have a Kobo Touch N902C, which is the newest version as far as I know. The Firmware used in this version is identical to that used in the Kobo Glo. It uses a mini SD Card on the PCB. I can give you the precise PCB version from the hwinfo startup script once I get my hands on the device

I upgrade manually (as in download zip, unzip/copy to .kobo, reboot, rehack). In Germany, I still get firmware version 2.3.1 when upgrading - which in my opinion is a very buggy version. After having ruined my KT once using wrong firmware, I got to understand that my KT is new enough to be using the Glo firmware (which still does not make the KT light up in the dark... I ought to write customer support about that ).
OK, the newest Touch with the correct firmware.
Quote:
Edit: Could it be possible that the Desktop App "upgrades" the database structure next to the firmware itself? This could be a simple issue of the database version not being usable by nickel because it expects another db scheme?
Yes and no. The desktop app does update the database when putting new firmware on. But, the firmware can also do this. Looking back through my notes, the difference between DBVersions 69 and 71 is a new table called "SyncQueue" and in the table "user", changing the name of the column "DeviceID" to "___DeviceID". The change should have happened when the firmware applied itself. Both of these changes should only be related to syncing with the Kobo server (the former definitely is, the latter probably is). I wouldn't have thought that either would interfere with how you use the Touch. Unless there is some checking at start-up time.

But, I wonder why the database is like this. The obvious way is if you restored an old version over the new one after the firmware update. An alternative is that it was corrupt when you did the upgrade and wasn't updated properly.

The simplest fix for this is to logout on the device, let it create a new database and the "login" again. That should get the database version in sync, but I don't know if it will fix the problem you are seeing.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #117
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Cover handling changes in calibre 0.9.21

There are some changes in the latest version of calibre. They take advantage of changes in the way the recent firmware versions handle covers.
  • When resending a book to the device, any covers on the device will be deleted unless the cover upload options are in use. This will lets the device generate new cover images from the new copy of the book.
  • Removed option "Always upload cover".
  • When "Upload covers for books" is selected, the covers will be uploaded whenever the book is sent to the device. Previously, this only replaced any covers that were already on the device.
  • Added option "Keep cover aspect ratio". From firmware 2.3.1, the library and home page shows cover images without distorting them. With this option checked, the driver will upload the cover from the calibre library without changing the aspect ratio. For older firmware, the device will display the image sized to fit the
  • Covers will not be uploaded when sending books to the micro SD card. The device generates covers for books on the SD card each time they are needed.
  • Added separate cover sizes for Glo. The Mini uses same sizes as Touch.

One note, because of the way the configuration options are handled, if you previously had the "Always upload cover" selected, the new "Keep aspect ratio" will be selected.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #118
Taverius
Taverius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Something's been up in the last couple of driver versions with the large covers used in the sleep screen. Some of them work, but a large number do not and the Kobo will show the cover for the last book with a valid cover you were reading when in sleep mode.

I think calibre is generating the large cover images wrong, because the list and home screen cover images work fine. Disabling cover uploading fixes that, of course, but that's a work-around.

Would you like an issue created for it, and is there any info I can give to help apart from a cover that works when uploaded and one that does not?

Edit: Either that or its not deleting the covers on resend even though the images would be generated differently by the new driver, does that mean I should delete all the file_ images before re-sideloading?

Last edited by Taverius; 03-01-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Taverius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #119
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

What firmware level are you on? Covers were partially broken in 2.x versions but fixed in 2.40
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #120
Taverius
Taverius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
2.31 ... I bit the bullet and deleted all the covers and resideloaded all the books, and then calibre did upload the covers again (im guessing its doing a date check to see if they need changing?) and they seem to be working now.

I'm seeing horror stories about 2.40 so I was thinking of holding off on it for now ...
Taverius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo