Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
i am stuck

i had given a project to implement ebooks by following the tutorial http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm...tut/index.html, i cant understand this high profile tutorial and some how i managed to create the folders in this layout:

mimetype
META-INF/
container.xml
OEBPS/
content.opf
title.html
content.html
stylesheet.css
toc.ncx
images/
cover.png
i had used eclipse as my IDE, ican view it by compressing the whole my epub folder and then adding .epub extension.
then i had validated it using http://validator.idpf.org/ but i got

Results

Detected version: Could not determine version.

Results: The following problems were found in maepub.epub:

Type File Line Position Message
ERROR -1 -1 Length of the first filename in archive must be 8, but was 7 !
ERROR -1 -1 Required META-INF/container.xml resource is missing

iam stuck i dont know what to do,i had tried thoose zip commands in the terminal,still iam disappointed with the results

LRIM3s-iMac:~ lrim3$ zip -q0X maepub.epub mimetype

zip error: Nothing to do! (maepub.epub)
please some one help me with some good explanation or a tutorial that will find better for a beginner in this epub creating field
help (me too)......
me too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Most likely you didn't zip the files in the correct order and/or didn't put the files in the correct folders. Simply download Sigil add your .html files and resave the epub.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
If you've ziped up the entire folder, you may well have done it in the wrong order as Doitsu suggests.

Creating the files as you've done is good but I'd suggest instead of zipping up the folder, create an empty zip file and then drag the mimetype file into it as the first file. This file must not be compressed and has to go in before any other content. It also must only contain the following:

Code:
application/epub+zip
You can't put anything else in it, no other characters, carriage returns, etc.

Then you can added the other files with the compression now.

Have a look at the wiki here regarding epubs, that might give you the help you need. I've included a link to it below.

EPUB
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

hello to both
thanks to doitsu,for suggesting me sigil,but iam asked to do it by hand coding. no softwares like sigil is allowed.
thanku ghostyjack,i have only the code you suggested in mimetype(exactly 20 bytes)
as you suggested to create an empty zip file and drag mimetype,compressed OEBPS and META-INF,
i had tried to implement as
creating a new folder and renamed it as(maepub)
then compress it(maepub.zip)
compressed META-INF to (META-INF.zip) andOEBPS to (OEBPS.zip)
after that i tried to darg mimetype into it ,but i could not do it
will you please say me what went wrong with me and explain the way you managed to zip
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Could I suggest that there are several tutorials and howto files in the sticky section of the ePub format which are easier to follow than the ibm tutorial you quoted?

You may find it useful, as I did to take an ePub book from one of these tutorials and use it as a template. Leave the meta-inf folder alone, and especially do not touch the mimetype file, delete the files you don't want and put your files in, and edit the content.opf and toc.ncx files to match, rename the file of course, test with FlightCrew and ePubCheck, and you're done.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Template5.epub (33.7 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 07-06-2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added example template
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
me too
Connoisseur

thank you AlexBell,
will you please suggest me a simple tutorial i can follow
now i can zip it using applescript application ePub Zip 1-1.0.2 and i can generate the my epub as maepub.epub(name of my epub) but when i had validated it i could find some errors ,will you please help me to avoid thoose in the future.thoose errors are in the attachments ,and will you please check what went wrong with the contents that had resulted in these erorsResults

Detected version: EPUB 2.0

ERROR -1 -1 OPS/XHTML file OEBPS/title.html is missing
WARNING -1 -1 item (OEBPS/tittle.html) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
Validated using EpubCheck version 3.0b5-pre.

please help(me too).....
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post

ERROR -1 -1 OPS/XHTML file OEBPS/title.html is missing
WARNING -1 -1 item (OEBPS/tittle.html) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
If you copied the error message straght from epubcheck, the problem is that the actual file name of "title.html" contains an extra "t": OEBPS/tittle.html.
Either update the .opf or rename the .html file.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
me too
Connoisseur

i got it

thank u doitsu,

EPUB Validator (beta)

Results

Detected version: EPUB 2.0

Results: Congratulations! No problems were found in only epub.epub.

you made me in the correct way,i cant beleive that i did it,you are really good
thanks all for helping me to happen this
Allexbell,
ghostyjack,
pdurrant
thank you all,thank you very much
now i am working on a new topic "From docbook to EPUB" will you please suggest me a simple but a perfect tutorial
once more thanks a lot
Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post
thank you AlexBell,
will you please suggest me a simple tutorial i can follow
It's been a while since I started, but I think you'll find the thread started by GhostyJack at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43230

has several suggestions. I seem to remember that I learned most from the Jedisaber tutorial, which you'll find in the thread.

PS Elizabeth Castro has written an excellent book EPUB Straight to the Point which you might find helpful. It's oriented towards InDesign and iBooks, but there is a lot of useful information in it for the rest of us.

Last edited by AlexBell; 07-07-2012 at 03:17 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
me too
Connoisseur

docbook to epub

hello all
i would like to know how to convert docbook to epub ,will someone suggest me with a tutorial
Old 07-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Either use DocBook XSL to convert the .xml files to (x)html or write your own XSL scripts.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
me too
Connoisseur

downloads

"download the latest version of the DocBook XSL stylesheets, and make sure that you have an XSLT processor such as xsltproc or Saxon installed. This example uses xsltproc, which is available on most UNIX-like systems. To convert the DocBook file, just run that file against the EPUB module included in DocBook XSL"

sir, these are the specifications in the IBM tutorial,according to this i had downloaded docbook-xsl-1.77.1 and combo-2007-10-07.dmg ,will you please confirm me whether i am in the right direction or not ,how to install it and what is the next step?
thanks for your commitment towards my questions
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #13
me too
Connoisseur

please say me

hello all
will some one say me whether xsltproc is preinstalled on snow leopard???
plz help(me too)....
Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
me too
Connoisseur

few validation errors

ERROR: /Users/lrim3/Desktop/hello epub.epub: OPS/XHTML file OEBPS/Tree.xhtml is missing
ERROR: /Users/lrim3/Desktop/hello epub.epub: resource OEBPS/template.css is missing
ERROR: /Users/lrim3/Desktop/hello epub.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(16): 'OEBPS/video.xhtml': referenced resource exists, but not declared in the OPF file

Check finished with warnings or errors!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It looks like your file is incomplete. You are missing referenced files like Tree.xhtml and templace.css and have a file that is not mentioned in the OPF (video.xhtml).

Check them and be aware that filenames and such are case sensitive.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote