Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
gsparks2
Connoisseur
gsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro on Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge International version
clipboard contents retention

I am using Calibre 2.1

I frequently copy table of contents information from the text of anthologies and short fiction collections and paste them into the metadata for the book.

I open the ebook with the Calibre reader.
I select the text and either Control-C or right click-copy the selected text.
If I then open the Edit Metadata dialog for the book while the ebook is open in the reader, I am able to paste.
If I close the ebook viewer before pasting into the metadata dialog, the information in the clipboard has disappeared.

I don't recall this happening before with 1.4x.

Is this a feature of Qt5 or is it something that can be changed to have the clipboard not be cleared when closing the Calibre reader?

Thanks!
gsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a Qt 5 thing, you will just have to close the viewer after you paste.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This kind of sort of action has been normal for a long-long time and I guess I just trained myself to paste before closing/deleting.

Drag and drop books into Metadata edit box: Close/Next Book BEFORE deleting/moving source book file in the OS.

Viewer clipboard (as you noticed): must use before closing the viewer.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's actually system dependent. On some systems it works and some some it doesn't. I looked at the Qt sourcecode and it actually contains code to try to have the windows clipboard retain data even after the application is quit, but apparently it only works on some systems and not others.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's actually system dependent. On some systems it works and some some it doesn't. I looked at the Qt sourcecode and it actually contains code to try to have the windows clipboard retain data even after the application is quit, but apparently it only works on some systems and not others.
It is amazing you have any hair left after all these system quirks.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Indeed, I was careful to cut my hair very short before releasing calibre 2.0
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
gsparks2
Connoisseur
gsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-booksgsparks2 has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Indeed, I was careful to cut my hair very short before releasing calibre 2.0
- the only other Windows scenario I know where the content of the clipboard is not retained when the source program is exited is with MS Word, and only if you copy a large amount. But you do get this, "You placed a large amount of text in the Clipboard. Do you want this data to be available to other applications after you quit Word?" Options are Yes/No/Cancel.

Maybe something changed clipboard wise with Win8, and that's what Qt is addressing.

I don't have this problem, I do use some 'mature' clipboard extender gadgets. I have to wonder whether other such gadgets are the problem here. A lot of 'contemporary' gadgets look pretty, but they are often selfish in their behaviour and interfere with 'normal' operations. So maybe this problem is due to a 3rd party program - a'la the right click problem.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
...Maybe something changed clipboard wise with Win8, and that's what Qt is addressing...
Nothing has changed in general clip board behaviour over many applications with Win 8 as far as I have ever noticed.

That said, it is now coming up to 2 years since I had much exposure to legacy Windows versions. However, I would have noticed in the early days I would have thought.

In any event, I have just tested on one Win 8.1 machine and the clipboard empties on that when Calibre Viewer is closed too, just as the OP describes. It is not a problem for me in any way at all though so I am just mentioning, not looking to any change to that behaviour.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Nothing has changed in general clip board behaviour over many applications with Win 8 as far as I have ever noticed.

That said, it is now coming up to 2 years since I had much exposure to legacy Windows versions. However, I would have noticed in the early days I would have thought.

In any event, I have just tested on one Win 8.1 machine and the clipboard empties on that when Calibre Viewer is closed too, just as the OP describes. It is not a problem for me in any way at all though so I am just mentioning, not looking to any change to that behaviour.
@AnotherCat - it would have surprised me if clipboard had changed Win 8, I doubt its changed since Win 2.0

I turned off my clipboard gadgets, I get the problem with the Viewer and the Editor in 2.1 on Win 7, I don't get the problem with 1.48. And I don't get the problem with Sigil CV or BV. So it does seem to be peculiar to Calibre V2.1

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2014 at 07:58 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This is probably caused by the fix for this bug: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-36958

And it doesn't affect Sigil because Sigil doesn't use a new enough version of Qt 5.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And here is a workaround for the Qt bug, https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...d1671bee272ea1

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-03-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
gsparks2
Connoisseur

I had a recurrence of this issue in May 2015 and reported it under Calibre bug 1453535. Kovid could not duplicate it so I investigated my system setup and software.

I run Windows 7 professional, Calibre 2.27 (64 bit) and AVG anti virus 2013.0.3495.

When I deactivate AVG the problem goes away.