Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #166
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think we should begin by agreeing to have 12 months in 2013 with no repeats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
You got my vote!!!
The first yes/no vote before throwing the floor open to nominations for removing or altering current categories?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #167
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I agree with that 100%.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #168
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I am not understanding this comment...I am fine if you want to be a "benevolent dictator" of the group (as I sort of am with the lit club) and decide on these things yourself, but I thought the premise with this club is that we decide these types of things as a group. So why are you suggesting we should agree that there should be no repeats next year?

Just looking at the last few pages of posts since HomeInMyShoes started the subject the other day, I see that out of 13 different posters, six have expressed in these last few pages being fine with some type of repeat category (Classic, FreeForAll or Non-Fiction being mentioned) (the posters being HomeInMyShoes, Hamlet53, Billi, issybird, sun surfer, caleb72). On the other hand, three have expressed support for barring all repeat categories (JSWolf, WT Sharpe and Nyssa).

So I am baffled how this suggestion came about? If you'd suggested a poll on repeats I'd still be a little confused since if it's voted that repeats should still be allowed we'd still be in the exact same place we are now, mulling over the other possibilities and nothing gained or necessarily decided, so it seems extraneous. But to say we should decide that repeats should be barred when only one other person had supported it before your post and almost half the posters had mentioned interest in one repeat category or another, I am confused by that.

And, would you include the Mystery and Thriller categories as repeats? They may be slightly different but the nominations end up being able to be equally well identically nominated in either category which really just makes them the same category only with different names.

Anyway, your post just surprised me given the various opinions that preceded it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If we delete the 2nd classic, just think of all the fun we can have coming up with a replacement.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #170
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I am not understanding this comment...I am fine if you want to be a "benevolent dictator" of the group (as I sort of am with the lit club) and decide on these things yourself, but I thought the premise with this club is that we decide these types of things as a group. So why are you suggesting we should agree that there should be no repeats next year?

Just looking at the last few pages of posts since HomeInMyShoes started the subject the other day, I see that out of 13 different posters, six have expressed in these last few pages being fine with some type of repeat category (Classic, FreeForAll or Non-Fiction being mentioned) (the posters being HomeInMyShoes, Hamlet53, Billi, issybird, sun surfer, caleb72). On the other hand, three have expressed support for barring all repeat categories (JSWolf, WT Sharpe and Nyssa).

So I am baffled how this suggestion came about? If you'd suggested a poll on repeats I'd still be a little confused since if it's voted that repeats should still be allowed we'd still be in the exact same place we are now, mulling over the other possibilities and nothing gained or necessarily decided, so it seems extraneous. But to say we should decide that repeats should be barred when only one other person had supported it before your post and almost half the posters had mentioned interest in one repeat category or another, I am confused by that.

And, would you include the Mystery and Thriller categories as repeats? They may be slightly different but the nominations end up being able to be equally well identically nominated in either category which really just makes them the same category only with different names.

Anyway, your post just surprised me given the various opinions that preceded it.

I think that WT Sharp is being both subtle, humorous as well as poking a bit at the acrimony that occurs in rules discussions in this club. I took his comment literally as there are twelve non-duplicating months in 2013. They are January, February, March, etc. Last time I checked my shiny new 2013 calendar, no months repeat therefore I agree with WT. Though I really like April. Spring, flowers, warmth, … hmmm can I have more Aprils in 2013?
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #171
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
I think that WT Sharp is being both subtle, humorous as well as poking a bit at the acrimony that occurs in rules discussions in this club. I took his comment literally as there are twelve non-duplicating months in 2013. They are January, February, March, etc. Last time I checked my shiny new 2013 calendar, no months repeat therefore I agree with WT. Though I really like April. Spring, flowers, warmth, … hmmm can I have more Aprils in 2013?
Ah, could this be?

Even when I first read it, since I've seen him make jokes here and there, I was thinking a joke since I was so surprised by it, but then with the talk of repeat categories recently, it just seemed so plain what he was saying that there didn't seem any other possibility. At first I thought, maybe he was trying to joke about barring repeat categories but I didn't see any hint of a joke in the sentence. Of course, I was only thinking months as in categories, as in "two months of classics", so I thought "12 months with no repeats" meant 12 months with no repeat categories bolstered by JSWolf's post not far above:

Quote:
I don't think we should have any duplicate categories.
Even after your explaining it, I see it now, but still think it's ambiguous enough in the way it's worded not to be sure what the intention was. And I know I wasn't the only person who interpreted it as meaning he was suggesting barring repeat categories.

Anyway, those are just explanations to lessen my embarrassment if he was joking about the months. And I was wondering why he was being so specific about saying "12 months in 2013". D'oh! Tom, clear it up for us! If you really meant it about categories, then I'm still confused, and if you were joking -

Spoiler:
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #172
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
To be clear, I wasn't joking, but neither was I dictating. That's my opinion, and I'm fine with putting it to a vote. I just think before we get into the substance of what each month should be, we should first decide whether we want each month to be unique, or whether we want some categories to repeat during the year. I'm for 12 unique months, but if the majority votes to repeat a category I can live with that.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #173
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
To be clear, I wasn't joking, but neither was I dictating. That's my opinion, and I'm fine with putting it to a vote. I just think before we get into the substance of what each month should be, we should first decide whether we want each month to be unique, or whether we want some categories to repeat during the year. I'm for 12 unique months, but if the majority votes to repeat a category I can live with that.
I knew you were not joking, I knew you were suggesting 12 unique categories, and you still have my vote! With all of the variety available, I personally do not see the reason for a genre to be repeated in a calendar year.

If there is an insistance of a repeat, then I think the repeated category should be broken down into two sub-categories - whether it be price (free vs not free), time/era (pre-1960 vs post-1960), Popularity (mainstream vs obscure), or whatever else can be nominated and taken to a vote.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #174
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Thanks for your clarification and apologies for my erroneous assumption about the intent of your earlier remark. Based on that info, I withdraw my previous agreement with your statement about duplicates.

But I still want more Aprils in 2013 – such a nice month…
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I vote we do the second classic in any year that as 13 months.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #176
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks for clearing it up, Tom. My reality was bending with at first thinking it was real, then thinking it could be a joke!

And in that case, I will say that I think a vote on barring all repeats is extraneous. If it loses, we will be at the exact same place still as we are now and will be voting on the repeats individually all over again after that, so it seems like it will have been a waste of time.

Being fair, if we're taking these suggestions like nominations, you already have support in a second and a third (JSWolf and Nyssa) to get to a poll. But I would only counter that this particular suggestion will still be voted on anyway individually in all the possible repeats people are discussing, so a precursor vote on all repeats together seems unnecessary.

Not only unnecessary, but something like a double whammy, because there'd be two opportunities to get repeats voted out - the first when they're lumped together and the second with each one individually. It would take two yeses but only one no, which something seems not quite kosher about that.

It seems to me that if we are to end up with 12 unique categories, it's better to be done so by voting on individual categories and just ending up that way.

Also though, I still wonder about Mystery and Thriller. If we are to have a vote on barring all repeats and it is voted that we are barring them all, then I think that it should include Mystery and Thriller and force them together into one month.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #177
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'd really like to see the bookclub continue, even though I've only read a few of the selections this year. What I really find valuable are the nomination threads, since I find a lot of books to go on my to-be-read list there.

I'm not crazy about restricting the categories to no repeats, but it would simplify the process. Plus it doesn't actually do much since there is enough overlap that popular categories sneak in all over the place: classics in the romance month, fantasy in the humour month, etc. Not to mention the free for all month and the runner up month result in duplication by their very nature.

The only problem with this restriction that I see is the inevitable squabbling about what is or isn't a repeat category. It might be good to state up front that unless the wording of the category is identical, it's not a repeat. That would allow biography as a category in addition to non-fiction, and would make mystery distinct from thriller, for instance.

Let the polling begin!
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #178
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Aside from the categories discussion, I'd like to propose this for next year: multiple choice voting.

Someone else mentioned it last year, and it was a great idea, but it was proposed too late I think after too many other similar things were already under discussion and voting. I think it would open up the voting and make it more fun, and make the results truer. Because say now there are a few books in the top ten that you'd love to read, you must decide on only one to vote for, whereas with multiple choice you can support all the ones you're interested in. Also, now the way it works, it's possible to end up with a top two where for example say 20% are interested in one book and 80% are not, 20% are interested in another and 80% are not, while a book that everyone is interested in reading gets 0% because it was no one's very top choice out of the ten. I know I've personally had many months where I'd be more than happy to read multiple nominations but could only support one.

And if we don't like it, we can always change it back the next year...but I would wager that we'd like it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #179
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I suppose we'd better get started if we're to finish by Christmas. Are there any objections to my starting with this poll on the question, "Should each month in 2013 be unique, or should we consider repeats of certain categories?"
* Each month should be unique.
* Repeats of certain categories should be considered.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Each month should be unique but it's OK to have overlaps due to the fact that some books fit in more then one category.