Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post

I believe he was comparing the Fire to an Ipad(2)...(200 bucks vs 600 bucks)..Do you really believe "Ignorance" is the deciding factor in quality & performance here..?? These and the Amazons boards are filled with complaints/disappointment with the Fire..I was not starting a MAC/Windows debate..I dont believe it is a fair comparison between the Fire and the Ipad as the Fire is a cheap Reader/Tablet and is marketed as such. The the Ipad isn't ...and in this case and in most, the cheap becomes expensive..(when you buy return, and buy something else)...
Right, I was reacting more to the general "gift" idea-I mean, an iPad 2 is an awesome gift for someone. But giving two Fires and a Kindle to three someones is pretty awesome too And giving *SIX* Kindles to six someones is basically Santa Clauslike.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Ignorance is not understanding a quality product, just because it's expensive does not mean your ignorant. Android fanboys are clearly ignorant of apple devices.

That aside.....

It depends on the user. I love both my kindle fire & my iPad. They both have great ecosystems & offer many similar functions.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post

I dont believe it is a fair comparison between the Fire and the Ipad
But it IS a fair comparison. Hardware wise they are very similar(ram, dual core, GPU) minus some differences like size,camera, mic. They are both are locked down to one company and offer the same services (music, video, cloud, apps).

The major difference is the iPad has more apps which makes many believe it is "open". The app selection for Amazon is meager and leaves people wanting

The complaints most people have about the Fire are more with expectations. They want a full Android experience but they are not getting it. But after all is said and done far more people are satisfied with the Fire than unhappy.

But to the OP I say none of the above there are better choices out there.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
But it IS a fair comparison. Hardware wise they are very similar(ram, dual core, GPU) minus some differences like size,camera, mic. They are both are locked down to one company and offer the same services (music, video, cloud, apps).

The major difference is the iPad has more apps which makes many believe it is "open". The app selection for Amazon is meager and leaves people wanting

The complaints most people have about the Fire are more with expectations. They want a full Android experience but they are not getting it. But after all is said and done far more people are satisfied with the Fire than unhappy.

But to the OP I say none of the above there are better choices out there.

=X=
Apple allows other ebook providers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble to publish apps on their app store. Will Amazon ever allow a B&N app on the Kindle Fire? Probably not.

No, the real difference is that the Kindle Fire is vehicle for selling Amazon's digital content. While Apple has its own content services, they're more concerned with selling hardware. Having other content providers support it just makes their product look more attractive. Plus they collect 30% on all in-app purchases.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have both and I love them both. BTW, you can download different reader apps to the Fire by side loading. All you have to do in settings is hit the button that allows 3rd party apps to be downloaded. There's even an app that lets you read epubs on the Fire.(Mantano)

The Fire is working out better in terms of portability and the screen is gorgeous. I don't read ebooks on my iPad- I prefer that on my K4 or the Fire.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Apple allows other ebook providers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble to publish apps on their app store. Will Amazon ever allow a B&N app on the Kindle Fire? Probably not.

No, the real difference is that the Kindle Fire is vehicle for selling Amazon's digital content. While Apple has its own content services, they're more concerned with selling hardware. Having other content providers support it just makes their product look more attractive. Plus they collect 30% on all in-app purchases.
Good points and I agree with you they are contrasting business models. In the end both models still inconvenience the user.

Just a couple of points:
The iPad might allow content providers to sell through iTunes but many content providers have chosen not to sell content through their app to avoid paying the 30% tax. This forces consumer to go outside of the iPad system to buy content(e.g. Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Google). Those that do sell content in their app pass the cost to the consumer. Not much of a confidence if you ask me.

Kindle allows you to install 3rd party software so one can install 3rd party stores. Like Getjar appstore, Sideme, etc... without voiding the warranty or terms.

These third party stores do have other content providers like B&N, Kobo, eReader, etc... so it's easy enough to get 3rd party content on the kindle and from the apps. The inconvenience here is you cannot get the apps through Amazon so the user must learn how to sideload apps.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not hard to sideload apps. On a 1-10 difficulty scale, I'd call it about a 3.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Good points and I agree with you they are contrasting business models. In the end both models still inconvenience the user.

Just a couple of points:
The iPad might allow content providers to sell through iTunes but many content providers have chosen not to sell content through their app to avoid paying the 30% tax. This forces consumer to go outside of the iPad system to buy content(e.g. Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Google). Those that do sell content in their app pass the cost to the consumer. Not much of a confidence if you ask me.

Kindle allows you to install 3rd party software so one can install 3rd party stores. Like Getjar appstore, Sideme, etc... without voiding the warranty or terms.

These third party stores do have other content providers like B&N, Kobo, eReader, etc... so it's easy enough to get 3rd party content on the kindle and from the apps. The inconvenience here is you cannot get the apps through Amazon so the user must learn how to sideload apps.

=X=
You really don't know what you're talking about do you? You just take every chance you can to bash apple. Really, grow up already, it's getting old. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. The little potshots are stale.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Kindle Fire = $200
Asus transformer = $250 at Bestbuy when they open...

No guessing which I would buy if I was in the market for one of these devices.

Alternative would be Acer Iconia a500 at Staples for $300, a500 has full size USB connector so you can connect common storage devices to move content back and forth or use common USB keyboard if you want to type. I have an a500 (about a week now) and it is pretty good, has a great display, weighs pretty close to a Kindle DX. Both Transformer and a500/a100 have micro SD card slot for additional storage, Fire does not have this (neither does iPad1/2). Both Transformer and a500/a100 have micro USB host port so that you can use cheap and common micro to full size USB cable to connect additional storage devices, iPad does not (Fire probably has one but not sure). a500 has multi-touch screen, seems to work as well as iPad that my co-worker owns.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Kindle Fire = $200

You forgot to mention camping out the night (or two) before.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #26
voracious71
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You forgot to mention camping out the night (or two) before.
Ha, you're right. I refuse to do Black Friday anymore. Got tired of almost being trampled by some asshat trying to get a flatscreen TV..
Old 11-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Kindle Fire = $200

No guessing which I would buy if I was in the market for one of these devices.

Alternative would be Acer Iconia a500 at Staples for $300, a500 has full size USB connector so you can connect common storage devices to move content back and forth or use common USB keyboard if you want to type. I have an a500 (about a week now) and it is pretty good, has a great display, weighs pretty close to a Kindle DX. Both Transformer and a500/a100 have micro SD card slot for additional storage, Fire does not have this (neither does iPad1/2). Both Transformer and a500/a100 have micro USB host port so that you can use cheap and common micro to full size USB cable to connect additional storage devices, iPad does not (Fire probably has one but not sure). a500 has multi-touch screen, seems to work as well as iPad that my co-worker owns.
It may not have a micro SD slot but it can access external storage. Both the ipad & kindle fire. I just did this the other night with the Kingston wi-drive, on both devices. Ugh, misconceptions.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
It is available online right now, pick it up at store or they have free shipping.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
It is available online right now, pick it up at store or they have free shipping.
You mean pay $399 now and ask for a refund of the difference in price for Black Friday?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Ugh, misconceptions.
Indeed. Whenever anybody points out the lack of SD storage on the device, you keep replying that you can access your NAS. Getting old too, by the way.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote