Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
no 'search' function in newest software update

The magnifying glass (icon for search) has disappeared in the current software update. How does one search now?
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
The magnifying glass (icon for search) has disappeared in the current software update. How does one search now?
The search function hasn't changed with the most recent firmware update. You can only search for items within your Library. If you select a category (bookshelf) in your Library you will see the search icon in the lower right part of the screen.

Regards,
Joe
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
For the Kobo app for iOS and Mac OS X, there is no search feature for the text of the book you are reading. So when you open a book, the search function is gone. I'm dumbstruck by lack of such a fundamental feature.

Is this the same case for Kobo Touch? Can you search inside a book for Kobo Touch? How about for sideloaded contents?
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreaderfan View Post
For the Kobo app for iOS and Mac OS X, there is no search feature for the text of the book you are reading. So when you open a book, the search function is gone. I'm dumbstruck by lack of such a fundamental feature.

Is this the same case for Kobo Touch? Can you search inside a book for Kobo Touch? How about for sideloaded contents?
You cannot search within any kind of document with the Kobo Touch. The lack of an internal search function is also true for their Desktop application and their app for Android. In all cases, you can only search for items within the library or the store.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
You cannot search within any kind of document with the Kobo Touch. The lack of an internal search function is also true for their Desktop application and their app for Android. In all cases, you can only search for items within the library or the store.
Wow, I'm flabbergasted. The search feature is so fundamental.

I bought a Kobo book for my Sony Reader. The book is a nonfiction about the Economic Crisis of 2008, and does not have a workable index (no hyperlinks, no page number next to subjects). So if I want to find mentions of a subject, say, "credit default swap," I can search for that word and go to pages containing that word.

Without the search feature, you have to scan pages and pages for that subject. It's barely doable on a physical book, but next to impossible on a ereader. That's why nonfiction books have index, so you don't have to scan the book, but Kobo is forcing you to do that? That's insane.

I hope the search feature is high on the list of firmware request. I can see a lot of people not buying Kobo because of lack of search. Kobo would be a candidate to replace the Sony Reader if it dies, but now Kobo's a non-starter for me. I hope they would have the search feature soon.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I do agree that lack of a search facility is a serious omission. The ability to search a book is one of the key benefits of using an electronic reader over a paper book, after all. I constantly use search when reading books to remind myself when a particular character first appeared in the story - especially useful in complex detective stories, for example.

Let's hope that Kobo add it soon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yeah, when I want to search for something I find myself putting down the Kobo and going to my computer and using Adobe Digital Editions. A bit cumbersome for sure.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
I stand corrected, and illuminated. There never was a search function, except in library. i agree, a serious omission. Now that Sony reader pocket edition has come down I think I will get that as a second ereader. there seems to be no perfect ereader - better to have 2-3 of them!
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
...better to have 2-3 of them!
That's why we keep getting these non-finished, not-so-refined products... instead of buying none, people buy 2 or 3 I know that I'm buying early-generation technology, and that's why I ordered the cheapest reader available on the market, and only now (not 3 years ago) and will keep away from investing in new generation technology as long as possible.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
That's why we keep getting these non-finished, not-so-refined products... instead of buying none, people buy 2 or 3 I know that I'm buying early-generation technology, and that's why I ordered the cheapest reader available on the market, and only now (not 3 years ago) and will keep away from investing in new generation technology as long as possible.
Actually, the Kobo Touch is the first eReader I've bought in the past few years that does not have a search feature usable within books. But I will say that their company does seem truly interested in our thoughts and requests, so I hope they will include this vital feature in a future firmware update.