Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Pricing Anomalies in "Agency" Books

My hope is that rather than discussing Agency Pricing in the same way we have in the past, folks will use this thread to list pricing discrepancies on books that are Agency Priced. It is my understanding that Agency Priced books are supposed to be the same price everywhere, at least within the same country.

This morning i decided to buy Elissa Schappell's brand new book, Blueprints for Building Better Girls. I did my due diligence and found the following prices. It is Agency priced (Simon and Schuster).

The ebook was $10.99USD at Barnes and Noble, on the Sony WebsiteUSD (but not found on the reader software--perhaps a Canadian issue), and from the publisher directly. It was $17.52USD from Amazon and $14.99CAD from Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
it lists as 10.99 on amazon for me, the same at kobo
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Does Agency pricing give a fixed price or is it (as I thought) simply a minimum price which allows people to charge more, if they wish and if they want to irritate their "customers" even more...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
it lists as 10.99 on amazon for me, the same at kobo
Still 17.52 from Amazon for me and $14.99 from Kobo for me too. My IP address is Canadian, so I get the Canadian Kobo store. I always thought that the Amazon.com (vs amazon.ca) pages had only one price regardless of IP address.

Last edited by taming; 09-07-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Does Agency pricing give a fixed price or is it (as I thought) simply a minimum price which allows people to charge more, if they wish and if they want to irritate their "customers" even more...
I understood it to be a minimum price. Retailers would be free to charge more for Agency ebooks, I would think. But they would do so at their own peril of course.

I see this particular title listed at $10.99USD across the board, though (B&N, Sony, Amazon, and Kobo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming
I always thought that the Amazon.com (vs amazon.ca) pages had only one price regardless of IP address.
There's a lot of redirecting going on behind the scenes based on IP address, regardless of which URL happens to be showing in the browser's address bar.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-07-2011 at 08:27 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
okay - let me try to really confuse you

Simon and Schuster doesn't agency price in Canada so

When you look at a site with US prices you are seeing SS US Agency pricing. This would be your Barnes and Noble price in US dollars etc

When you look at a site (even if it is Amazon w/ a Canadian Kindle Address) that shows the "Canadian" price it is retailer set.

That is why some people (w/ US Ips etc) are seeing different prices than the people with Canadian IP addresses and Canadian Manage My Kindle addresses. Same thing with Kobo. US IPs are getting the US Agency price and Canada IP are getting the Canadian price.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Actually, that all made perfect sense to me.
(your explanation made sense, not the whole geographic pricing fiasco)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

Simon and Schuster doesn't agency price in Canada so ...
S&S is listed as Agency Priced in email I got from Kobo in July. It was not listed as recently as May. S&S books now have only one price listed (the hallmark of Agency Pricing on the Kobo site).

Aug 24 Email:
Quote:
Offer valid from August 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM through to August 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer or promotion and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases. Discount code is valid for one time $1 off any eBook purchase excluding those from the following publishers: In the UK - Zondervan, Random House, Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Wiley and all respective subsidiary imprints. In the US - Hachette Book Group USA, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Macmillan, Zondervan, Wiley, Random House and all respective subsidiary imprints. In CA - Zondervan, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, Hachette Book Group, Penguin, Wiley, and Macmillan. In AU/NZ - Zondervan, Wiley, Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins and all respective subsidiary imprints. Newspapers and magazines are excluded from this offer. Promotional code must be entered at time of purchase to qualify for this discount. Discounts cannot be applied nor the discount value refunded once a purchase is complete. We reserve the right to change or end this offer at any time without notice.

Last edited by taming; 09-07-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Still 17.52 from Amazon for me and $14.99 from Kobo for me too. My IP address is Canadian, so I get the Canadian Kobo store. I always thought that the Amazon.com (vs amazon.ca) pages had only one price regardless of IP address.
Pulling up Amazon's website will give you the agency set pricing for your region, converted to the currency for the region that uses the domain. For instance, I pull up Amazon.co.uk, and I will get US pricing, but converted to GBP. If I use a UK IP for .co.uk, I get British pricing, in GBP. If I use UK IP on .com, I get british pricing, but converted to USD. I've tested this recently, when I noticed some screwy pricing with a book I wanted. £0.49 in UK, $19.99 in US. When I went to talk to the author about this, he pulled up amazon.com and got the currency converted amount of £0.49. When I pulled up Amazon.co.uk, I got the converted amount of $19.99. It was only until we started using proxies that we got to see the proper regional pricing.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Good to know, Hellmark. CAD 14.99 is still waaaaay more than 17.52 converted or $10.99.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Publisher's sign individual contracts with places like Amazon, Kobo, Sony, and B&N. So, for example, Kobo has apparently an active Agency agreement for Penguin books in Canada, and Amazon does not (at the moment). Across all of the contracted sites within a country, I thought prices were supposed to be the same. This may be why there are no Penguin ebooks available to Canadians from Amazon and the Kobo Canadian Penguin prices appear to have taken such a leap.