Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #61
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I dare to disagree. I don't want the programmers behind this site investing their energy, time and wisdom in improving such a negative and destructive function as "ignore user" actually is.
trust me on this one... it is necessary and useful to ignore some people that might otherwise result in wars and banning
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #62
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
trust me on this one... it is necessary and useful to ignore some people that might otherwise result in wars and banning
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I might answer this one

Yes. That's what I use to block some avatars. For example, I hate JSWolf's penguins
Why do you hate Tux?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #64
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you hate Tux? He's a lot less intrusive then your animated head bashing. To be honest, I'd like to have animated avatars done away with because they are so intrusive.
Ditto to that. Animated avatars are neither big nor clever!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #65
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Yes, using ignore, even though it is far from perfect, has improved my online attitude significantly. But honestly, I wish that ignore hid the user completely, instead of the partial hiding.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #66
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, using ignore, even though it is far from perfect, has improved my online attitude significantly. But honestly, I wish that ignore hid the user completely, instead of the partial hiding.
yep! can still get your dander up!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #67
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Your reactions toward other people starts with yourself. A lot of the issue of using ignore or not has to do with lack of self control. I've chosen deliberately not to use ignore - and deliberately choose to exercise patience and self control whenever I come across someone who might be annoying. Over time it's become quite easy to do so.

Edit: The reason I'm doing it is because I believe that longterm this is much better than the symptom fix of ignore user.

Last edited by Ea; 05-12-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #68
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
No problem with trusting you in general and I can see that this function might help some people to calm down or not to become too angry.
But in my mind the idea of ignoring certain users contradicts the core sense of a forum. A forum works fine when you have many posts and when you have many lively discussions, that means many different or opposite opinions. And with the ignore function you reduce both for yourself. Is it really such an interesting thing to read only posts with your opinion from members you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Your reactions toward other people starts with yourself. A lot of the issue of using ignore or not has to do with lack of self control. I've chosen deliberately not to use ignore - and deliberately choose to exercise patience and self control whenever I come across someone who might be annoying. Over time it's become quite easy to do so.
Thank you very much, Ea.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Being ignored is cool
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #70
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No problem with trusting you in general and I can see that this function might help some people to calm down or not to become too angry.
But in my mind the idea of ignoring certain users contradicts the core sense of a forum. A forum works fine when you have many posts and when you have many lively discussions, that means many different or opposite opinions. And with the ignore function you reduce both for yourself. Is it really such an interesting thing to read only posts with your opinion from members you like?

Thank you very much, Ea.
I think this is a somewhat naive view of how discussion boards work. I doubt that anyone here would have a problem with reading opinions that contradict their own. The problem arises not from opinions per se but from behaviour. To take an imaginary and loose RL example, suppose you are sitting in a room overlooking the street having a serious and amicable discussion with friends. Other people passing by might be interested and want to come into the room to join in. But then a few noisy kids come along and start rapping on the window, jumping up and down, shouting and pulling faces. They are an irritating distraction for the participants in the discussion. So a possible solution is to pull down the thick blind on the window and blank them out. That is like using "ignore".
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #71
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I think this is a somewhat naive view of how discussion boards work. I doubt that anyone here would have a problem with reading opinions that contradict their own. The problem arises not from opinions per se but from behaviour. To take an imaginary and loose RL example, suppose you are sitting in a room overlooking the street having a serious and amicable discussion with friends. Other people passing by might be interested and want to come into the room to join in. But then a few noisy kids come along and start rapping on the window, jumping up and down, shouting and pulling faces. They are an irritating distraction for the participants in the discussion. So a possible solution is to pull down the thick blind on the window and blank them out. That is like using "ignore".
with interest. When people are deliberately provacative (or plain immature), why would you want to even be exposed to their input?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #72
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is not about immature behaviour or contradicting point of view for me, it is about bringing the same silly argument over and over again. If I were interested in hearing the same schmonzes day in day out without end I'd join a cult.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #73
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
If I were interested in hearing the same schmonzes day in day out without end I'd join a cult.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #74
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Sorry to play the naive once more: but wouldn't it then be the right order to first meet these demands oneself and only afterwards demand them from all the others here? I can't see any logic in ignoring another user for something one does oneself all the time.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #75
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Why? Those who are annoyed by my saying the same thing over and over again might want to choose to ignore me.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote