Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #91
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I don't see what reading or not reading has to do with anyone's intelligence. I read a lot but it's not like I am sitting around reading physics textbooks. People have less time and there are more options for entertainment then ever before, it's as simple as that..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #92
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
There are plenty of intelligent people that don't read books for pleasure. My boyfriend for example is very intelligent and tech savvy but he doesn't read books for pleasure. He does like to watch documentaries and read articles online however (and tinker with various audio technologies).
Just because someone doesn't read novels doesn't mean they don't use their brain in other ways!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #93
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Sadly, it's not all that shocking. I've been reading books since my 4th grade teacher read The Hobbit to me. I feel like in the 30's and early eras they read more! They didn't have tv, the net and all that.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #94
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Cool

My family were always big readers, our house was stuffed with book shelves and cases, so it was inevitable that I read from an early age. I was one of those kids with the torch under the bedclothes after lights out

Sadly, I can believe the statistics. At work several of us share favourite author discussions during our breaks, but others admit that they never read at all. I've also noticed that the non readers tend to have a more limited vocabulary than the readers, so much so that I am often asked what a word means when I use it. This is from otherwise intelligent people who supposedly had a good education, albeit 20/30 years later than I did, although I don't want to get into a debate about declining educational standards here.

I actually feel sorry for people who don't read. Just think what they are missing out on!
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #95
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
I actually feel sorry for people who don't read. Just think what they are missing out on!
I do, too. I have 'converted' my husband into being a reader (I had a hard time finding a cover for him - sorry, bad pun), and he has told me that he can't believe what he was missing out oN all those years.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #96
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
But maybe fun trying to find the sd card slot for extra memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I do, too. I have 'converted' my husband into being a reader (I had a hard time finding a cover for him - sorry, bad pun), and he has told me that he can't believe what he was missing out oN all those years.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #97
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #98
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post

So that's why I always have to remind him about our anniversary!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #99
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I wonder if more people would try reading as a leisure activity if fewer advocates came off as smug and pretentious.

This wasn't directed specifically at you, Avarwen, but you did manage to illustrate, in one concise, quotable package, the way many here insult not just anyone who doesn't read books, but also those who don't read books THEY approve of.
These are the people who look at you strange if you don't know who Snookie is or don't enjoy or read Twilight. My problem is that these people never bother to read past the popular fluff if they even can be bothered to read. When I was a kid you not only read for enjoyment but to learn. Something I don't see many younger people doing these days and I'm not that old.

If this was just a matter of opinion they you could call me and others sooty but it's a fact. As of now America is going down the shitter when it come to eduction. Now instead of reading and enriching ourselves we gorge ourselves on the latest trash from the tabloids and watch more trash T.V than should be allowed by law. I'm all for having fun reading and watching smut here and there but from what I've seen that's all most people read or watch.

We need to get kids and all people into reading more and reading more advanced books. How can we expect to compete with other first world nations when most people can't read past an 8th grade level? Don't even get me started on science and math. There's a reason we are no longer #1.

Last edited by Avarwen; 04-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #100
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Exactly! Karma'd!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #101
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
78% of statistics are made up, including this one.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #102
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Ha. I believe it. If you count Harry Potter and Twilight as the trash that they are and don't put people who have read those in the numbers they would be even lower.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #103
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I was trying to find similar statistics for Australia - but the only study I could see was done in 2006 - http://www.abs.gov.au
It shows a reading rate of just under 48% read a book in the previous week. Yet despite this our 2 largest booksellers have just gone broke! No doubt Amazon makes a lot of money out of Australia and the libraries are always busy.
I find it hard to believe the USA statistics quoted - surely the figures should be more on par with Australia's? The educational level is similar and both countries are almost 100% literate.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #104
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I was trying to find similar statistics for Australia - but the only study I could see was done in 2006 - http://www.abs.gov.au
It shows a reading rate of just under 48% read a book in the previous week. Yet despite this our 2 largest booksellers have just gone broke! No doubt Amazon makes a lot of money out of Australia and the libraries are always busy.
I find it hard to believe the USA statistics quoted - surely the figures should be more on par with Australia's? The educational level is similar and both countries are almost 100% literate.
Your data specifically say that they are from people who have read a book for pleasure in the past three years. This would dramatically change the results. The data discussed in this thread are for everybody in the country (allegedly). Also the data are pretty old at about 5 years.

Last edited by lunixer; 04-19-2011 at 09:45 PM.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #105
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
78% of statistics are made up, including this one.
I read it was 86 percent.

Really.

I wrote it down, then I read it.

(That's a Howie Mandel line.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading, stats