Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure? I seem to recall someone in the UK being prosecuted relatively recently - I'll see if I can find the story.
I don't know about the UK, I was speaking of RIAA lawsuits in the US. However, it wouldn't surprise me if you actually read the court documents you'll see that they are being sued for "uploading" or "sharing". You see the media claim "downloading" in a lot of their stories, but it's not accurate. Every single one of these cases that I've ever seen are always about uploading/sharing (which is what's actually illegal according to copyright).

The content industry wants people to THINK that they will get sued for downloading, and they have run a very successful propaganda campaign along those lines, but that's not reality.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I don't know about the UK, I was speaking of RIAA lawsuits in the US. However, it wouldn't surprise me if you actually read the court documents you'll see that they are being sued for "uploading" or "sharing". You see the media claim "downloading" in a lot of their stories, but it's not accurate. Every single one of these cases that I've ever seen are always about uploading/sharing (which is what's actually illegal according to copyright).
I understand what you mean, since I would imagine that BitTorrent is probably the most popular means of downloading such material these days and, of course, when you "download" a file with BT, you are also simultaneously "uploading" it, too.

But I am surprised that you say that downloading is not against the law. Surely, by downloading, you are making an unauthorised copy, are you not, and that's a copyright violation!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I understand what you mean, since I would imagine that BitTorrent is probably the most popular means of downloading such material these days and, of course, when you "download" a file with BT, you are also simultaneously "uploading" it, too.
Not necessarily. It's trivial to stop most P2P software from uploading if you want to. Most of them do by default, but they don't have to.

Quote:
But I am surprised that you say that downloading is not against the law.
This has already been discussed to death.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
But I am surprised that you say that downloading is not against the law. Surely, by downloading, you are making an unauthorised copy, are you not, and that's a copyright violation!
Only if you distribute the copy, in most legislations (I believe), and with intent for profit.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Deleted.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Are you sure? I seem to recall someone in the UK being prosecuted relatively recently - I'll see if I can find the story.
This?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...es/8461879.stm
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, that wasn't the story I was thinking of, but thanks for the link, anyway .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote