Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Cheap 10" tablet for graphic novels

I'm looking for a cheap option to allow me to read graphic novels (and probably a few pdf files) electronically.

I don't read a large number of such documents (and I have no plans for using a tablet for much else) so a cheap 10" Android tablet looks like the way to go.

There seem to be a number of tablets with ICS or Jelly Bean versions of Android available for about £100-£120. I appreciate that most (if not all) tablets in this area of the market are "commodity" Chinese products, but I'd appreciate any recommendations.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
Barnes & Noble has the HD+ 9' for £129

http://uk.nook.com/tablets/nook-hd-plus
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnn View Post
Barnes & Noble has the HD+ 9' for £129
That's come down in price since I last looked!

Nine inches rather than ten, but it's got a name behind it. I'm tempted.

Thanks pwnn.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You can reference this article: the best-selling 10 tablets
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet16 View Post
You can reference this article: the best-selling 10 tablets
Badly out of date. For example, there is no Nexus7 '2013 model. That one beats the so called nr1 to a 6 feet deep grave any day.

It also misses the Sony Z Tablet, which is a very nice 10" considering the weight.

Last edited by Stringer; 10-15-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I also recommend the Nook HD+. The display is great for graphic novels, magazines and pdf's. It also has access to Google Play and if you prefer running stock android, you can easily root it or boot into android with a pre-configured, inexpensive sd card from N2A or AFN. It's one of the best bargains available in the tablet market
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
jimmybrion99
jimmybrion99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've used the Nook Color & Nook Color HD with graphic novels from the Nook shop & it works pretty well.
jimmybrion99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
fencepost
fencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Vibrant (Android)
The HD+ is probably also higher resolution than most of those no - name tablets. I'll highly recommend putting Cyanogen on it; the only downside to that that I'm aware of is that (ironically?) you won't be able to load the Nook app since it's blacklisted for the device in the Play Store (they don't want regular Nook users loading two different versions).
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Incidentally, for those who are interested in graphic novels, I'm cross-posting my post from today's Free/ Bargain Science Fiction and Fantasy thread:

Today's F&SF Daily Deal is Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes" which includes the first eight issues of the Sandman graphic novel series, a total of 240 pages and priced at $2.99.

For those who aren't familiar with it or who've never read graphic novels, now's your chance to try one of the most famous, highly acclaimed graphic novel series ever produced. I just downloaded it with the Kindle for Android app on my Nook HD+. It's gorgeous and displays perfectly on the 9" HD screen.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
The HD+ is probably also higher resolution than most of those no - name tablets. I'll highly recommend putting Cyanogen on it; the only downside to that that I'm aware of is that (ironically?) you won't be able to load the Nook app since it's blacklisted for the device in the Play Store (they don't want regular Nook users loading two different versions).
That's interesting, I guess I was lucky to be able to load the Nook app on my CM7 Nook Color.

Oddly enough I found the Nook for Android app was almost infinitely better than the stock reader on that tablet. I read a lot in landscape mode on that device, and the stock reader didn't support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
Incidentally, for those who are interested in graphic novels, I'm cross-posting my post from today's Free/ Bargain Science Fiction and Fantasy thread:

Today's F&SF Daily Deal is Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes" which includes the first eight issues of the Sandman graphic novel series, a total of 240 pages and priced at $2.99.

For those who aren't familiar with it or who've never read graphic novels, now's your chance to try one of the most famous, highly acclaimed graphic novel series ever produced. I just downloaded it with the Kindle for Android app on my Nook HD+. It's gorgeous and displays perfectly on the 9" HD screen.
Oooh, that sounds like a great deal, I'm tempted even though I already own a paper copy.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
Too bad I missed it. That's an excellent deal.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
fencepost
fencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Vibrant (Android)
It's not that you can't load the Nook for Android app, but you have to sideload it - you can't install it through Google Play or they'd have people loading it on "stock" Nook HDs.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote