Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question StarDict port for Kindle 3?

Unfortunately, the Kindle's dictionary support is limited. For example, it can display Russian ebooks, but you cannot look up words in them.
It would be great if someone could port the free StarDict dictionary to the Kindle.
StarDict support is integrated in some FBReader versions (but not fbKindle) and Duokan, but the Duokan developers didn't implement the word selection lookup algorithm correctly, because it only works with English and Chinese.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bump

Since there are so many talented Kindle programmers in this forum. I'd really appreciate it, if someone would create a StarDict port. IHMO, there are a couple of good reasons for doing this:
  • The StarDict code is GNU GPL v3 licensed and Linux ports exist
  • Free StarDict dictionaries are widely available on the Internet and can be easily created from scratch
  • Unlike Kindle, StarDict supports pretty much any language, including Russian, RTL languages and CJK, and Amazon is not likely to implement anything beyond the usual EFIGS support
Alternatively, I'd appreciate pointers on how to create a lookup dictionary feature myself using Python, Perl or other other scripting languages. (Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with C, Linux and the Kindle framework.)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since there are so many talented Kindle programmers in this forum. I'd really appreciate it, if someone would create a StarDict port. IHMO, there are a couple of good reasons for doing this:
  • The StarDict code is GNU GPL v3 licensed and Linux ports exist
  • Free StarDict dictionaries are widely available on the Internet and can be easily created from scratch
  • Unlike Kindle, StarDict supports pretty much any language, including Russian, RTL languages and CJK, and Amazon is not likely to implement anything beyond the usual EFIGS support
Alternatively, I'd appreciate pointers on how to create a lookup dictionary feature myself using Python, Perl or other other scripting languages. (Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with C, Linux and the Kindle framework.)
When requesting specific, custom, software you will often get better results if you offer money in exchange for the work.
Most developers respond well to $$$$
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
When requesting specific, custom, software you will often get better results if you offer money in exchange for the work.
Most developers respond well to $$$$
Not necessarily. For example, I have given custom scripts away without asking for money.
I guess not everybody has your keen business sense...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Bump.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
GoldenDict is being ported on K3 and PW here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25800

To summarize (if you don't know Russian ): some progress was made (https://github.com/VVSiz/Goldendict-Kindle), but end-user result isn't available yet.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I just cant get that repos submodules initialised.

GAH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
To summarize (if you don't know Russian ): some progress was made (https://github.com/VVSiz/Goldendict-Kindle), but end-user result isn't available yet.
Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I just cant get that repos submodules initialised.
I really appreciate you looking into this.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

debian has a gtk version of startdict.

maybe Ill hack on that... it's the "Kindle 3" that makes that tough...
Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
twobob

so today I had a look at stardict. downloaded the i386 version to my linux box.

What am I missing? it doesn't seem to work? hardly very encouraging to look at a port...
Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
so today I had a look at stardict. downloaded the i386 version to my linux box.
I really appreciate you looking into this again.

Quote:
What am I missing? it doesn't seem to work? hardly very encouraging to look at a port...
If the full StarDict version didn't work for you, could you please also check out he command line version sdcv, which appears to be a Linux only version that'll probably have fewer dependencies and a smaller footprint.

(Free StarDict dicionaries for testing can be found here.)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
twobob

Re sdcv:

[ 12%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdcv.dir/src/sdcv.cpp.o
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-std=c++11’

so we fix it up to be...

Quote:
Try -std=c++0x instead.

Availability of C++11 features is for versions >= 4.3 only.
even though I am using 4.6.3?

This would then give us:

/usr/local/src/sdcv/src/lib/mapfile.hpp:26:18: sorry, unimplemented: non-static data member initializers

AFAIK I would have to use clang to fix that... I think...
So the compilation of the command line version will have to fall to someone more comfortable with ninjaing CMAKES - @Niluje... any takers?

I tried.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
twobob

https://code.google.com/p/stardict-3...r.bz2&can=2&q=

still contains bug

https://code.google.com/p/stardict-3...s/detail?id=31

For the record...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Will check it out (assuming a K3 as the target, or can I save myself some eventual trouble and jump to K4/K5?)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
twobob

The OP would like it for the k3...

:\

Tags
dictionary, kindle 3, lookup, stardict