Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #151
PabloEr
PabloEr began at the beginning.

Device: K3wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
its embedded in the DIAGS reports... if you backed any of them up in the past...
No! ( No backup
PabloEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #152
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEr View Post
Oh! Thank`you dear!
But small problem.
Serial and MAC is lost
I looked for everywhere, but anywhere didn't find. It simply didn't remain neither in a router nor in documents (they aren't present). in general isn't present. If to use data from other K3w it will give problems?
Naturally, these books won't be at the same time on the Internet.
You should be able to see the serial number on your "manage my Kindle" page.
Then call Kindle CS, explain the situation and ask them to give you the corresponding MAC address.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #153
loanwolffe
loanwolffe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Erm , total noob here, need help. Tried to jailbreak my kindle touch, firmware 5.1.2. all 6 steps of the jailbreak went ok , got a screen saying you are being jailbroken etc, but at the end the 'jailbroken' book was not present. THEN somehow managed to reboot the device, which rebooted into the diagnostics screen and then hung! Now the thing is a brick! no response to controls, not able to read from the USB. HELP!!!!!!
loanwolffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #154
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is not a brick. Follow the instructions in the first post.

PS: It would have been nice if you mentioned that you used the wrong jailbreak for the wrong device, not Kubrick. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2449244
Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #155
loanwolffe

sorry I only just realised that I had used the wrong jailbreak :-(
Old 03-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #156
loanwolffe

ok my kindle is no longer a Brick. Ta very much it worked!

couple of questions, I didn't find any 'jailbroken' book after de bricking and jailbreaking, is the 'jailbreak' book thingy just something from another software developer or did the jailbreak fail?

I originally got myself ina pickle because I wanted a simple text editor on my kindle touch, can you direct me to how to get this sorted out please, so I don't mess up again?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #157
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanwolffe View Post
ok my kindle is no longer a Brick. Ta very much it worked!

couple of questions, I didn't find any 'jailbroken' book after de bricking and jailbreaking, is the 'jailbreak' book thingy just something from another software developer or did the jailbreak fail?
If you checked the corresponding checkbox to install it, then the jailbreak is installed. The "you are jailbroken" text file is just a feature of (some of) the other jailbreak methods.

Quote:
I originally got myself ina pickle because I wanted a simple text editor on my kindle touch, can you direct me to how to get this sorted out please, so I don't mess up again?
Well, now that you know how to debrick, you can safely mess with the Kindle. It's almost impossible to completely break the Kindle Touch.

Anyway, take a look at the KUAL thread, there should be one or two text editors linked from there. (e.g. Leafpad)

Last edited by ixtab; 03-09-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #158
kaczmilk
kaczmilk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi, I have a problem with my Kindle Touch and I'm currenlty trying to recover it. Last week I did a hard reset (I've got ~50 book and KT started to run very slow) and after that the only thing I can see is a screen with a man sitting under the tree. Kindle is not booting up.
I tried Kubrick CD following all the instructions. Device is detected, flasking is successful but I'm stuck on the screen when my interaction with Kindle diagnostic mode is necessary. Problem is my Kindle is not booting in diagnostic mode at all. After previous steep Kindle restarts automatically and I see same screen - a man sitting under the tree and reading something - I hope not a Kindle
Any ideas? Thanks.
kaczmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #159
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczmilk View Post
Hi, I have a problem with my Kindle Touch and I'm currenlty trying to recover it. Last week I did a hard reset (I've got ~50 book and KT started to run very slow) and after that the only thing I can see is a screen with a man sitting under the tree. Kindle is not booting up.
I tried Kubrick CD following all the instructions. Device is detected, flasking is successful but I'm stuck on the screen when my interaction with Kindle diagnostic mode is necessary. Problem is my Kindle is not booting in diagnostic mode at all. After previous steep Kindle restarts automatically and I see same screen - a man sitting under the tree and reading something - I hope not a Kindle
Any ideas? Thanks.
You're the first person to report this odd behavior. Anyway, you could try to "manually" bring the device into diags mode. On the screen where it says "We need your input now...", leave Kubrick waiting.

1. Press Alt+F2, and login as root (no password)

2. Make sure your Kindle is in USB downloader mode (Same as at the beginning - press power button until LED turns off, press home button in addition, release power, release home).

Then type the following:
Code:
cd /mnt/kubrick
./imx_usb resources/imx_usb_img/diags.bin
That *should* boot the Kindle into diags. If it doesn't, then something is seriously wrong with your device. Please post the output of the above command in that case.

If it worked, press Alt+F1 to get back to the tty with the dialog, and continue from there.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #160
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Keep it on external power -
Wait for it to finish re-indexing the 50 books -

Continue to keep it on external power until the battery has time to fully re-charge from this experience (like, at least 10 hours).

With a battery having a low capacity (like that of a pen-light battery) there will not be enough stored power to completely index all your books before it has to shut down due to a low battery condition.

So you may find yourself repeating the above steps over several days.
And if there is a 'bad book" on the machine, then you will have to transfer off all of your books to let the indexer complete its job and allow the Kindle to continue with its boot-up.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #161
kaczmilk
kaczmilk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Many thanks for the suggestion. I tried on the second console and last log lines look like that:

Code:
loading binary file(resources/imx_usb_img/diags.bin) to f8006000, skip=0, fsize=800 type=aa

<<<2048, 2048 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf8006400
report 1, wrote 16 bytest, err=0
report 3, read 4 bytes, err=0
read=56 78 56
jump_mode 2 plug=1 err=0
resources/imx_usb_img/diags.bin
header_max=1000

loading binary file(resources/imx_usb_img/diags.bin) to f8007000, skip=0, fsize=fed0 type=aa

<<<65232, 65232 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf800742c
Everything looks fine, no errors etc., but my Kindle is not booting up in diagnostics mode. My guy is still there... yep, under the tree No progress bar etc.

If that's indexing problem how can I manually remove all of my books from Kindle? Under Windows (ekhmm, sorry ) Kindle is not detected as a drive.
kaczmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #162
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Maybe your diags uImage/partition is damaged ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #163
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Maybe your diags uImage/partition is damaged ?
I'm out of ideas. The point is that the diags kernel and partition are flashed right before rebooting to diags mode...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #164
kkralikk
kkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheesekkralikk can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, I have a small problem with this great thing.
When I start with boot everything goes correct (I see picture and then process start) till it stops at the sentence: Sending discover...
Can somebody help with this situation. I would like to use this superb program.
Thank you!

Last edited by kkralikk; 03-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
kkralikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #165
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkralikk View Post
till it stops at the sentence: Sending discover...
Is your laptop connected to an ethernet network with a working DHCP server ? If not, can you try to boot with the ethernet cable disconnected ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote